The Student Room Group

A level choices

I'm going to start sixth form soon and am only allowed to do 3 a levels but i would like to do 4. im stuck between sociology and religious studies. I am equally interested in both and enjoy them a lot. they both are essay based and are good for law. I have some faith in me that I can do 4 alevls but no one believes me. now I dont know which subject to pick. can anyone help.
What other subjects are you taking? Do you think one of them might be better suited to your other a level choices?
Original post by hcw.04
What other subjects are you taking? Do you think one of them might be better suited to your other a level choices?

I am taking Punjabi and history. I took Punjabi because I know I can get an A easily as it is my first language and this will help get me lots of UCAS points. I chose history because they value it a lot in university if you chose law. I am really interested in both sociology and religious so its quite difficult to make a decision. I dont want to feel like I am missing out on one of them.
You could start with 4 then drop once you've got a taste of what they're like and whether different from GCSE or how you expected them to be. I did sociology and the teachers often said it went well with history though I wouldn't know whether religious studies goes well or not so it may or may not fit well
I'm happy to answer any questions you have about sociology in order to help decide as I've just finished year 13
(edited 2 years ago)
Do you like punjabi and history? If you love the other subjects I think it is best to do what you really enjoy as opposed to what's easy or looks good

I hope you make a decision soon :smile:
Original post by SB1234567890
You could start with 4 then drop once you've got a taste of what they're like and whether different from GCSE or how you expected them to be. I did sociology and the teachers often said it went well with history though I wouldn't know whether religious studies goes well or not so it may or may not fit well
I'm happy to answer any questions you have about sociology in order to help decide as I've just finished year 13

I have asked my sixth form if I could do 4 but they say its too much pressure and wont let me go ahead. I have tried convincing them but I dont think it will work. Does sociology have a religious and philosophical aspect to it? I have done GCSE psychology so sociology seems similar and easier but Religious just seems more interesting and challenging.
Original post by JessD3333
Do you like punjabi and history? If you love the other subjects I think it is best to do what you really enjoy as opposed to what's easy or looks good

I hope you make a decision soon :smile:

I like Punjabi and history because I gave done them in GCSE and have gotten very good grades but after induction history doesn't seem right or fun. The only reason I am doing it for A levels is because uni value history alot.
Original post by inderjitk001
I have asked my sixth form if I could do 4 but they say its too much pressure and wont let me go ahead. I have tried convincing them but I dont think it will work. Does sociology have a religious and philosophical aspect to it? I have done GCSE psychology so sociology seems similar and easier but Religious just seems more interesting and challenging.

For AQA there is a chapter call beliefs in society which includes a topic on theories on the role of religion that also includes different definitions of religion, which then leads on to a topic about whether religion can cause social change. The next chapter is about trends that suggest secularisation and the explanations for it which leads on to a topic about the increase in new forms of religion (privatised religion/moving from the sphere of obligation to consumption, globalisation and the media causing religion to become disembedded from physical churches) which also includes arguments against the idea that traditional religion is declining. There is also a topic on sects, cults and new religious movements which includes different definitions of each, why people join them, the dynamics of them over time, and trends of which social groups join them and why. There is a topic on the relationship between globalisation and religiosity which includes aspects such as the growth of fundamentalism, how religion is now important than nation states, cultural defence and how globalisation and economic development lead to religion or the opposite way round. The last chapter is on ideology and science, which includes science and religion as closed and open belief systems, nationalism and theories on religion and ideology
Original post by inderjitk001
I am taking Punjabi and history. I took Punjabi because I know I can get an A easily as it is my first language and this will help get me lots of UCAS points. I chose history because they value it a lot in university if you chose law. I am really interested in both sociology and religious so its quite difficult to make a decision. I dont want to feel like I am missing out on one of them.

I can't really comment on religion as I never did it. But I didn't sociology and loved it. I did it at GCSE as well. It was very interesting. And I found it was my easiest subject.

Quick Reply

Latest