The Student Room Group

Media studies or theology/philosophy/ethics?

Choosing my 3rd course for college and i'm not sure what subject i want to take, looking for anyone who's studied either/both media + RE to comment on their experience
thanks in advance :smile:
Pick the one you can handle better.
Reply 2
Original post by SlaveofAll
Pick the one you can handle better.

i looked into both courses and couldn't pick which one would be easier for me, that's why i'm having issues deciding
What do you want to do after A-levels? Does that have any sway into which one you might want to pick?
Reply 4
Original post by MatthewAteYou
What do you want to do after A-levels? Does that have any sway into which one you might want to pick?

i cant quite decide if i'll be taking a career in psychology or something english-related, like journalism
ethics would be good for psych, media for english
Original post by ThatMarrett
i looked into both courses and couldn't pick which one would be easier for me, that's why i'm having issues deciding

By easier, I mean the one that doesn't give you much more workload and stress.
I do both philosophy & ethics and media studies and personally I'd say media studies.

The content is fun and easy to understand and you'll get to explore your creativity with the coursework, media studies is great if you'd like a career in journalism as well.
The only downside I'd say is the theories, you won't get any high marks in your exam without them and some of them can be confusing to include in your answer. Media studies is quite political based as well so if you do it make sure you learn about the context behind the topics you are doing (newspapers for example, you'll have to have a basic understanding of Brexit and right-wing ideologies)

Philosophy is HARD. You will have to remember a lot. If you done RS/E in secondary school don't expect it to be anything like philosophy like I did lol. If you're intelligent however and you're quite a deep-thinker I'd say go for it.
If you'd like an idea of what you'll be studying have a look at the Design argument by Paley, the analogy about finding a watch on an abandoned heath. Paley suggests that such an intelligent design must have an intelligent curator, and compares this to the universe saying such thing could of not came by chance, and God is the curator. That's just the quickest and easiest summary I could do. Obviously you'll have to learn much more and in detail, with strengths and objections.

Of course, this is just my opinion and other people may disagree with me. I'd recommend looking at the content for each subject and whatever interests you the most pick it.
Reply 7
Original post by Natashaabb
I do both philosophy & ethics and media studies and personally I'd say media studies.

The content is fun and easy to understand and you'll get to explore your creativity with the coursework, media studies is great if you'd like a career in journalism as well.
The only downside I'd say is the theories, you won't get any high marks in your exam without them and some of them can be confusing to include in your answer. Media studies is quite political based as well so if you do it make sure you learn about the context behind the topics you are doing (newspapers for example, you'll have to have a basic understanding of Brexit and right-wing ideologies)

Philosophy is HARD. You will have to remember a lot. If you done RS/E in secondary school don't expect it to be anything like philosophy like I did lol. If you're intelligent however and you're quite a deep-thinker I'd say go for it.
If you'd like an idea of what you'll be studying have a look at the Design argument by Paley, the analogy about finding a watch on an abandoned heath. Paley suggests that such an intelligent design must have an intelligent curator, and compares this to the universe saying such thing could of not came by chance, and God is the curator. That's just the quickest and easiest summary I could do. Obviously you'll have to learn much more and in detail, with strengths and objections.

Of course, this is just my opinion and other people may disagree with me. I'd recommend looking at the content for each subject and whatever interests you the most pick it.

this has helped so much, thank you! i really appreciate it

Quick Reply

Latest