The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Is Paisley a rough area?

I want to move to Glasgow to study was wondering is Paisley a rough area?
take a look at Kilmarnock or the coastal areas like Ayr/Troon, etc. I'll be commuting from Kilmarnock to the Uni and the rent prices are dead cheap along the west coast. Plus you get the ocean. Transport links are pretty good
(edited 2 years ago)
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by NovaeSci
take a look at Kilmarnock or the coastal areas like Ayr/Troon, etc. I'll be commuting from Kilmarnock to the Uni and the rent prices are dead cheap along the west coast. Plus you get the ocean. Transport links are pretty good

Thank you very much for your response.I will check it out.We might be able to hang out even
where are you moving from and what you looking to study? Is it the University of Glasgow? I'm from Manchester myself, although Scottish family. But had the same questions when moving up: last thing you need is to realise your slap bang in the middle of bad area, ha.
Reply 4
where are you moving from and what you looking to study? Is it the University of Glasgow? I'm from Manchester myself, although Scottish family. But had the same questions when moving up: last thing you need is to realise your slap bang in the middle of bad area, ha.

I am moving from Stockport,yes its Uni of Glasgow.I am so nervous about moving to Glasgow ,I am reading a lot about gang violence, robberies break ins etc and I am black which means I will stick out Yes I am trying to avoid going ending up in a rough area?I found a flat in East Kilbride and Kirkintilloch also Inverclyde .
everything will be fine. I would say I actually feel safer here than I do back down in Greater Manchester. You'll hear those stories anywhere you go: especially if that's what you search for with the intention to find out. I remember looking at the area I grew up in and shocked at all the crime, but yet never ever saw any of it. Also, at Uni, I'm sure there is plenty of diversity, so no issues there. East Kilbride does have good links though. I nearly moved there as well. But decided on the coast. Have you also looked at Bursaries? I believe there's a few for black students, which I would definitely take advantage of. 🙂

I'm always happy to stay in contact and advise on anything of you need it. It's a big move and if you don't know anyone, can feel a bit like "what have I done?" haha. Besides, you're from pretty close to where I used to live, so could help regarding that transition.
(edited 2 years ago)
Paisley, East Kilbride, Kirkintilloch, Inverclyde... you know none of these are in Glasgow yeah? you're asking for trouble with the commutes esp as public transport and roads aren't quite so good when you get out of Glasgow City.

EK and Paisley are broadly nasty areas, lots of poverty and angry people running down their lifetimes

Many students in Glasgow go for the trendy and more expensive west end (Partick, Finnieston, Hyndland, Maryhill) And the cheaper ones head for the south (Govanhill, New Gorbals, Cessnock etc) and the light east (Dennistoun)

Areas of the North used to be popular with students, Springburn, ld Red Road etc, but it went further downhill and the suicides shot up, I think they've demolished a lot of it now..

(oh, in terms out gangs and break ins were pretty chill tbh, esp if you weren't raised here with local tensions)
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by StriderHort
Paisley, East Kilbride, Kirkintilloch, Inverclyde... you know none of these are in Glasgow yeah? you're asking for trouble with the commutes esp as public transport and roads aren't quite so good when you get out of Glasgow City.

EK and Paisley are broadly nasty areas, lots of poverty and angry people running down their lifetimes

Many students in Glasgow go for the trendy and more expensive west end (Partick, Finnieston, Hyndland, Maryhill) And the cheaper ones head for the south (Govanhill, New Gorbals, Cessnock etc) and the light east (Dennistoun)

Areas of the North used to be popular with students, Springburn, ld Red Road etc, but it went further downhill and the suicides shot up, I think they've demolished a lot of it now..

(oh, in terms out gangs and break ins were pretty chill tbh, esp if you weren't raised here with local tensions)

Thank you very much for your input..l was looking at west end ..the flats are crappy unless u paying loads..l didn’t intend to pay past 500 to be honest..but now l had to fork out a little to just have a comfy flat..Donu also mean that trains are not reliable by the way??
Reply 8
everything will be fine. I would say I actually feel safer here than I do back down in Greater Manchester. You'll hear those stories anywhere you go: especially if that's what you search for with the intention to find out. I remember looking at the area I grew up in and shocked at all the crime, but yet never ever saw any of it. Also, at Uni, I'm sure there is plenty of diversity, so no issues there. East Kilbride does have good links though. I nearly moved there as well. But decided on the coast. Have you also looked at Bursaries? I believe there's a few for black students, which I would definitely take advantage of. 🙂

I'm always happy to stay in contact and advise on anything of you need it. It's a big move and if you don't know anyone, can feel a bit like "what have I done?" haha. Besides, you're from pretty close to where I used to live, so could help regarding that transition.

Kool yeah l will send u a pm so we can kick it once I come up ..
Paisley is a large town separate from Glasgow in a different local authority. Which university are you planning to study in? If you are going to University of West of Scotland and Paisley is your campus I guess there might be advantages of cost, travel and convenience in staying there. If however you are attending uni in Glasgow itself, I wouldn’t recommend it. My husband did a one-year postgrad course there and hated the town. That’s only one opinion of course and perhaps on reading this others will post to give you more advice.
Sorry I am daft, I see now you already answered my question already.
That’s great you are going to Glasgow Uni! Glasgow uni is in the vibrant West End and staying in that area, if you can, is absolutely the best thing. I lived there for 9 years myself. It’s great. To be honest staying in a town outside Glasgow and traveling in would not be the best thing. I fear you will feel you are really missing out.
Avoid Springburn and Govanhill. They are really rough. I know as I work in the former and the latter has a terrible reputation at the moment.
Btw no student can afford their own flat in the West End. Most people go to Uni accommodation in 1st year and then get flat shares for years 2 onwards. I had flatshares every year. (Long time ago but don’t think much has changed)
Reply 12
Original post by RosieMack
Avoid Springburn and Govanhill. They are really rough. I know as I work in the former and the latter has a terrible reputation at the moment.
Btw no student can afford their own flat in the West End. Most people go to Uni accommodation in 1st year and then get flat shares for years 2 onwards. I had flatshares every year. (Long time ago but don’t think much has changed)

Thank you so much for taking your time to answer my questions. .Once I come I hope I can pm u then we can chat a bit more and maybe u can give me some tips of living out there. I know u got a husband so I am not trying anything weird .would just love some guidance etc.
No bother terry23. You can PM me with any questions you have. Don’t be worrying, I’m probably old enough to be your mum! My son will be going off to uni soon. I just wanted to help as I’ve lived in West End, and have been to Glasgow Uni for my undergrad degree years ago, and to do a PG diploma recently. Don’t worry about gangs and crime. Most crime in Glasgow is localized to young Glaswegians living in their own areas , often the outlying housing schemes and a few dodgy city areas. Lots of Glasgow is great, around the uni is multicultural and safe. You will love it! Remember also Glasgow has a subway , which is good for getting around.
Original post by terry23
Thank you very much for your input..l was looking at west end ..the flats are crappy unless u paying loads..l didn’t intend to pay past 500 to be honest..but now l had to fork out a little to just have a comfy flat..Donu also mean that trains are not reliable by the way??

Yea much of the West End is generally expensive and many students and even professionals share to cut costs, most of the South & North is little grittier but substantially cheaper so a lot of students still end up there (The south in particular has pretty good transport links, Govan, Ibrox and Cessnock are worth a look as Glasgow uni alternatives) my somewhat poky 2 bed flat a bit further south is 350 a month and i'm next to a busy train station and major bus routes, so stuff within your budget is out there.

Within Glasgow City public transport tends to be v good, regular and plentiful busses and trains plus the subway covering the West, South & Centre, but getting out into the other council areas like Renfrew (Paisley) or Lanarkshire (East Kilbride) things deffo get more sparse with longer waits and fewer services overall, Scotrail doesn't have the best reputation for cancelled/late services in recent years..
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending