The Student Room Group

A level options opinion....

Hi, I am going to start my A levels soon this September and I'm not sure about my options, I don't know what are my interests but I'm leaning towards engineering or finance field for a degree at uni which is what hopefully I know what to do after my A levels.

Option 1: Business Studies, Maths and Physics
Option 2: Geography, Maths and Physics

I got all A* in these subjects and I enjoyed them in their own way during my GCSE. I don't know what subject to pick between Geography and Business...if there was Economics subject option, I would have picked that but that's not an option here. I'm just picking subjects which can open my options until uni...So any help ??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Noob Master
Hi, I am going to start my A levels soon this September and I'm not sure about my options, I don't know what are my interests but I'm leaning towards engineering or finance field for a degree at uni which is what hopefully I know what to do after my A levels.

I got all A* in these subjects and I enjoyed them in their own way during my GCSE. I don't know what subject to pick between Geography and Business...if there was Economics subject option, I would have picked that but that's not an option here. I'm just picking subjects which can open my options until uni...So any help ??

I did not take any of these subjects at A level so please be warned that I am only advising you from my opinion and not really from experience/knowledge on those subjects:
Personally I think that it seems Business studies would likely be the most sensible candidate as it fits perfectly into what you are trying to do (engineering or finance) however I think the main thing is:
a.) what you view as being more important - either a 'different' sort of A level that will be more fun (Geography) or one that caters to your university choice (Business).
b.) perhaps ask around some uni's you are hoping to go to what they would recommend would be the best A level group for the degree.

Overally remember that you want to choose something you think you will pass in, but also something you will enjoy. Perhaps a third option to picking BETWEEN those A levels is taking four A levels instead of three and then you can do both. You obviously have the aptitude to do so with all A*s at GCSE, which is NOT easy by any means. But also remember A levels are deceptively harder than GCSE's in that most students underestimate how much of your time and energy they will take, so it's down to you to decide if you think it's worth the extra stress of not.

I hope you are happy with whatever you decide. Good luck with your future endeavours x

A* ?? Which country are you in that you have results [in letters] already?

Hi, I'm not an expert in picking A-level subjects. But I think option B is better. If you want to study something finance related and LSE might be an option they clearly say that geography is a "generally preferred subject" and business studies is a "non preferred subject". This is the link where you can find which subjects they like the most: https://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Undergraduate/Prospective-Students/How-to-Apply/Admissions-Information
Reply 4
Original post by Amira_Jade
I did not take any of these subjects at A level so please be warned that I am only advising you from my opinion and not really from experience/knowledge on those subjects:
Personally I think that it seems Business studies would likely be the most sensible candidate as it fits perfectly into what you are trying to do (engineering or finance) however I think the main thing is:
a.) what you view as being more important - either a 'different' sort of A level that will be more fun (Geography) or one that caters to your university choice (Business).
b.) perhaps ask around some uni's you are hoping to go to what they would recommend would be the best A level group for the degree.

Overally remember that you want to choose something you think you will pass in, but also something you will enjoy. Perhaps a third option to picking BETWEEN those A levels is taking four A levels instead of three and then you can do both. You obviously have the aptitude to do so with all A*s at GCSE, which is NOT easy by any means. But also remember A levels are deceptively harder than GCSE's in that most students underestimate how much of your time and energy they will take, so it's down to you to decide if you think it's worth the extra stress of not.

I hope you are happy with whatever you decide. Good luck with your future endeavours x

Wow...these are some important messages to think about after reading your two main points...thanks for the advice : )
Reply 5
Original post by Muttley79
A* ?? Which country are you in that you have results [in letters] already?

A country named United Kingdom (UK)...actually majority of the countries around the world have these type of education systems in terms grades lol...what country are you from? I’m curious : ))
Reply 6
Original post by XanaXoid
Hi, I'm not an expert in picking A-level subjects. But I think option B is better. If you want to study something finance related and LSE might be an option they clearly say that geography is a "generally preferred subject" and business studies is a "non preferred subject". This is the link where you can find which subjects they like the most: https://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Undergraduate/Prospective-Students/How-to-Apply/Admissions-Information

Hi...yeah I also read these type of lists...do you know why Business Studies are in ‘non-preffered’ list ? I genuinely find this subject a bit challenging as we answer in many paragraphs and its an academic subject...but I don’t understand why is it viewed this way...
Hi...yeah I also read these type of lists...do you know why Business Studies are in ‘non-preffered’ list ? I genuinely find this subject a bit challenging as we answer in many paragraphs and its an academic subject...but I don’t understand why is it viewed this way...

Honestly, I have no idea! I'm an international student so I haven't done A-level but I found that link while I was applying so I shared it with you. Also in an open-day ppt they say that 2 out of 3 subjects should be from the preferred list. So you could be fine with business studies but this presentation is a couple of years old and I don't know if things have changed. https://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Assets/PDF/open-day-july-2018-applying-to-LSE-slides.pdf
Reply 8
Generally soft subjects like business are considered to be more vocational when compared to economics. So it narrows your options and doesn't show your full ability, this doesn't mean they aren't challenging.
A country named United Kingdom (UK)...actually majority of the countries around the world have these type of education systems in terms grades lol...what country are you from? I’m curious : ))

Muttley probably guessed you were from the UK. But results aren't out until the 12th of August I believe, so it's questionable as to how you have determined your grades already. I presume that you're going off predictions.?
(edited 2 years ago)

The UK uses NUMBERS for GCSE and this years results are out in August - so why letters???
Original post by Muttley79
The UK uses NUMBERS for GCSE and this years results are out in August - so why letters???

Eh. In terms of the first part, it depends on the area of the UK. Northern Ireland, under the CCEA board, continues to use letter grades. Admittedly, it's still confusing how they know their grades so early.
Original post by cleveranimal56
Muttley probably guessed you were from the UK. But results aren't out until the 12th of August I believe, so it's questionable as to how you have determined your grades already. I presume that you're going off predictions.?

Oh right, nah I am not presuming...I got my official grades just last week actually...I was told its usually given in August as well but due to covid, we can’t do open days and stuff like that so maybe they gave it early? I don’t know, maybe its just different school’s regulations in providing grades probably : ))
Original post by sj.21
Generally soft subjects like business are considered to be more vocational when compared to economics. So it narrows your options and doesn't show your full ability, this doesn't mean they aren't challenging.

Does that mean you can study Business A level but its only focused on business/finance related degrees ? Would I still be able to do engineering type degrees if I went with option 1 because of maths and physics that I would have studied??
Reply 14
Does that mean you can study Business A level but its only focused on business/finance related degrees ? Would I still be able to do engineering type degrees if I went with option 1 because of maths and physics that I would have studied??

Yeah definitely you still can go for engineering since maths and physics are great facilitating subjects which keep your options open
Honestly, I have no idea! I'm an international student so I haven't done A-level but I found that link while I was applying so I shared it with you. Also in an open-day ppt they say that 2 out of 3 subjects should be from the preferred list. So you could be fine with business studies but this presentation is a couple of years old and I don't know if things have changed. https://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Assets/PDF/open-day-july-2018-applying-to-LSE-slides.pdf

Oh okay...it seems I should be fine with option 1 as well but I think it would be better with option 2 because LSE and other good universities from the Russell group is very competitive in terms of application processes...thanks for the web links as well, can be useful for others reading here : ))
Oh okay...it seems I should be fine with option 1 as well but I think it would be better with option 2 because LSE and other good universities from the Russell group is very competitive in terms of application processes...thanks for the web links as well, can be useful for others reading here : ))

I was looking at Imperial requirements and some departments, like Electrical and Electronic Engineering,say that they like geography but their favourite subject is FM
https://www.imperial.ac.uk/electrical-engineering/study/undergraduate/entry-requirements/
Geography is under the acceptable subject so I'm worry that they will reject you if you don't do an acceptable subject!
I was looking at Imperial requirements and some departments, like Electrical and Electronic Engineering,say that they like geography but their favourite subject is FM
https://www.imperial.ac.uk/electrical-engineering/study/undergraduate/entry-requirements/
Geography is under the acceptable subject so I'm worry that they will reject you if you don't do an acceptable subject!

It seems with any engineering degrees, they mainly prefer further mathematics as the third option...you could do business,maths,physics but you would be less favourable than others who did the ‘acceptable’ subjects...I strongly feel I should do option 2...I was also told that you don’t really need business studies A level in order to do business/finance related degrees but it would put you at an advantage as you are kinda getting a headstart, I believe.
Original post by sj.21
Yeah definitely you still can go for engineering since maths and physics are great facilitating subjects which keep your options open

Thanks for the replies and advice...think I will go with option 2 because it seems geography is more respected than business studies and it provides more options with it as well. Again thanks : ))
It seems with any engineering degrees, they mainly prefer further mathematics as the third option...you could do business,maths,physics but you would be less favourable than others who did the ‘acceptable’ subjects...I strongly feel I should do option 2...I was also told that you don’t really need business studies A level in order to do business/finance related degrees but it would put you at an advantage as you are kinda getting a headstart, I believe.

I applied for econ, and from what I understood you are not at any advantage if you do it at a-level or not because is different they way they teach it. I would assume that is the same for business/finance. Seeing that many top uni prefer geography I would pick it if you like it equally to business

Quick Reply

Latest