The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Thatcher and 1980s research

Hia,
I do a practical degree so am not used to researching and am creating a theatre piece set in the 80s AIDS crisis, I need help understanding the socio political context and the negative, oppressive effects thatcher had on the working class- can anyone point me in the right direction or possibly share their knowledge with me? thanks so much xx
Original post by liz.meadows
Hia,
I do a practical degree so am not used to researching and am creating a theatre piece set in the 80s AIDS crisis, I need help understanding the socio political context and the negative, oppressive effects thatcher had on the working class- can anyone point me in the right direction or possibly share their knowledge with me? thanks so much xx

I think you need to revise your prejudiced views on Thatcher - she did not 'oppress the working class' - many bought their homes through her policies. AIDS was not like COVID .... you need to talk to people who lived through it and you won't find many on TSR.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
The debates on clause 28 from the House of Commons records may be useful to you. Cannot remember the name of the Act of Parliament but I am sure Google can help.
Reply 3
Original post by barnet1471
The debates on clause 28 from the House of Commons records may be useful to you. Cannot remember the name of the Act of Parliament but I am sure Google can help.

thank u!! good idea xx
Are all Tories scum? If not, how do you tell the difference between the scummy and non-scummy ones?
Some suggestions:

- There is a five part documentary on Thatcher on iplayer, The Thatcher Revolution. I'm no Thatcher fan but it's really interesting.
- You may have already watched it but It's A Sin on 4 about the AIDS crisis.
- Also look into the haemophilia blood transfusion/AIDS scandal that was going on in the 80s.
- Book Shuggie Bains, set in Glasgow during the Thatcher era.

Hope this is helpful. I'm a mature student, born in the early 80s, and it's a period I'm really interested in so will have more of a think for you.

Edit - just realised you probably meant more formal research papers etc rather than TV shows but never mind!
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by brokenbiscuits
Some suggestions:

- There is a five part documentary on Thatcher on iplayer, The Thatcher Revolution. I'm no Thatcher fan but it's really interesting.
- You may have already watched it but It's A Sin on 4 about the AIDS crisis.
- Also look into the haemophilia blood transfusion/AIDS scandal that was going on in the 80s.
- Book Shuggie Bains, set in Glasgow during the Thatcher era.

Hope this is helpful. I'm a mature student, born in the early 80s, and it's a period I'm really interested in so will have more of a think for you.

Edit - just realised you probably meant more formal research papers etc rather than TV shows but never mind!

no this is fab thank youuuu, its easier for me to absorb info from watching! will deffo note all these down, thank u x
There's a radio 4 series on the early days of HIV/AIDS on iplayer

e.g. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000jx4p

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending