The Student Room Group

Revision for A levels!! Please help

Hi Guys,
I got my mock results back (year 12) and they weren't great. If you have any tips for English or geography please help :smile:
is this for english lit or english lit/lang combined or just english lang?
Original post by absolutelysprout
is this for english lit or english lit/lang combined or just english lang?

Lit
Original post by Thestudent107SWC
Lit

do lots of essay practice and hand the essays to your teacher for feedback. it's really important your answer remains relevant to the question so make brief essay plans before writing your answer so you don't waffle or go off-track.
obviously i can't really give you specific feedback as i don't know what your essays are like and i'm not an english teacher! it's just a matter of consistent practice and consciously noting your weaknesses so you don't make the same mistakes in your next essays. english lit is hard work and progress can seem really slow sometimes but just keep at it
do lots of essay practice and hand the essays to your teacher for feedback. it's really important your answer remains relevant to the question so make brief essay plans before writing your answer so you don't waffle or go off-track.
obviously i can't really give you specific feedback as i don't know what your essays are like and i'm not an english teacher! it's just a matter of consistent practice and consciously noting your weaknesses so you don't make the same mistakes in your next essays. english lit is hard work and progress can seem really slow sometimes but just keep at it

what about for english language, i got my grades back today and i got an E :/ sooo upsetting and i dont even know how to revise for it
Prioritise
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
Hi Guys,
I got my mock results back (year 12) and they weren't great. If you have any tips for English or geography please help :smile:

Print out the spec for geo and highlight what content you're not confident on, go over it and then complete essays from online websites.

Thankyouuuuu, I tend to go over the structure for essays but I can't apply it. if you have any more tips please let me know
Original post by claraa24
Prioritise knowing exactly what examiners like to see in essays and try to find out what's lacking in your own essay. You might just need to advance and add depth to the points you're making to reach those top bands? When I prepare for english lit exams I read a LOT of outside analysis from revision books, the internet, including stuff that isn't specific to just A level revision. A revision technique is to make a mindmap that goes into DEPTH (like, hours worth of detail and research lol) for a particular theme or two, and then make a few more mind maps for the remaining themes (though they shouldn't need so much depth as you'll be able to make links) Personally I don't bother making mindmaps for particular characters as usually questions are not on a particular character, and even if they are, you'd mainly be writing about the relationships of that character with other characters and themes anyways. But this is my revision style! It works for me but if you don't think it's really your thing that's totally fine lol. I would also recommend reading lots of exemplar essays for the A level (mainly the exam board you're doing, but others are good too!) to really get your head around what a great essay should look like. I hope that helps! You don't have to do everything I've said, just some ideas (:

Thank you. One of my weaknesses are definitely adding depth. I can make the point but not with much in it and this leads to me not really answering the question but just blurting everything I know.
Original post by t0897
Print out the spec for geo and highlight what content you're not confident on, go over it and then complete essays from online websites.

Thanks! Defo will try this. I think I need to split the content to make it less daunting to revisit. :frown:
Reply 10
Hi Guys,

Geography- Use the spec to find weak areas and make mind maps on them. Condense the info as much as possible and try making little connections to remember the info better. Then get someone to test you on the things on your mindmap. It helped me get an A* in my mock. Also practice questions on 12 and 20 markers.
Original post by ajibtoj
Geography- Use the spec to find weak areas and make mind maps on them. Condense the info as much as possible and try making little connections to remember the info better. Then get someone to test you on the things on your mindmap. It helped me get an A* in my mock. Also practice questions on 12 and 20 markers.

Thankyou, Would you recommend rewriting notes?
Original post by anamsaid
what about for english language, i got my grades back today and i got an E :/ sooo upsetting and i dont even know how to revise for it

i didn't do a level english lang so can't really give you any advice, sorry!

Thankyouuuuu, I tend to go over the structure for essays but I can't apply it. if you have any more tips please let me know

are you doing aqa? i may be able to give you some more advice if so as i did aqa :smile:
i didn't do a level english lang so can't really give you any advice, sorry!

are you doing aqa? i may be able to give you some more advice if so as i did aqa :smile:

Yes I do AQA spec B

Quick Reply

Latest