The Student Room Group

A level Geography

Hey , anyone here who did A level geography privately? Even if not, I will appreciate if someone could tell me the books I will need to cover the whole 2 years content. Are there any online resources to take help from as I will be self studying. I am considered edexcel board.

Thank you.

Scroll to see replies

Hey there , if I’m not mistaken the edexcel specification includes coursework and fieldwork questions .I did the Cambridge (CIE )spec , it doesn’t include any of the two .Also CIE follows the old modular format where you sit the AS and carry forward your marks or if you didn’t get the grade you wished for , you can resit the AS and your highest score will be taken into consideration.CIE always takes into , CIE always runs exams in November and June ,unlike Edexcel (the exception has been 2020 and 2021 due to the CAGs)There’s lots of theory but the Cambridge spec is easier compared to the Edexcel one .I’m pretty sure completing the coursework by yourself for the Edexcel spec will be hard unless you get help from a teacher.If you are considering the Cambridge exam board I can send you the link with the website which has papers from 2002 , as well as the links for the textbook and revision guide .Also , the Edexcel spec is Anglocentric , the CIE spec is suited for international students , with very few case studies on fhe UK.
I forgot to mention that the AS material won’t be included in the A2 exams
Reply 3
Original post by Victoria.kohnn

Hey there , if I’m not mistaken the edexcel specification includes coursework and fieldwork questions .I did the Cambridge (CIE )spec , it doesn’t include any of the two .Also CIE follows the old modular format where you sit the AS and carry forward your marks or if you didn’t get the grade you wished for , you can resit the AS and your highest score will be taken into consideration.CIE always takes into , CIE always runs exams in November and June ,unlike Edexcel (the exception has been 2020 and 2021 due to the CAGs)There’s lots of theory but the Cambridge spec is easier compared to the Edexcel one .I’m pretty sure completing the coursework by yourself for the Edexcel spec will be hard unless you get help from a teacher.If you are considering the Cambridge exam board I can send you the link with the website which has papers from 2002 , as well as the links for the textbook and revision guide .Also , the Edexcel spec is Anglocentric , the CIE spec is suited for international students , with very few case studies on fhe UK.

Hi Victoria
Thank you for replying. So, it will be easier for me to do the CIE specification as I will be self studying? Yes please I will really appreciate if you send me links of the textbooks etc. And I was wondering if the boards have an impact on a university application? I mean do universities have any preference over the specifications?
Reply 4
Original post by Ahmed 002
Hi Victoria
Thank you for replying. So, it will be easier for me to do the CIE specification as I will be self studying? Yes please I will really appreciate if you send me links of the textbooks etc. And I was wondering if the boards have an impact on a university application? I mean do universities have any preference over the specifications?

And will I be able to cover the whole A level content by myself if I do the Cambridge specification? I mean without any teacher's help?
Reply 5

In the CIE or edecxel?
It’s doable but make sure to understand & learn the content well .I would also recommend to be reviewing all the material on a weekly basis so that you won’t be cramming/stressing out the month leading to your exams.I can look for you and send you some booklets with candiates’ responses and examiner comments tomorrow if you want to because the exam technique is very important.Regarding your second question about the exam board which doesn’t include the AS material in the A2 exam - it’s the CIE which does this .With the edexcel exams , if you choose to sit the AS , it won’t count towards your A2 grade ,but with CIE the AS counts towards the final grade and what’s great about this is board is that if you don’t get the grade you have hoped for , you can resit the AS .PS getting higher marks in the AS is much easier so if you manage to score a high grade in the AS , you’ll need less points at the A2 to achieve the grade you want to.If you do start covering this spec , you can ask me whatever you want because I’m familiar with the syllabus and past paper questions.Also I can give you advise on what case studies to cover because sometimes those in the textbook don’t include lots of info for your essays .

A few questions for you :

-did you take gcse geography, if so what grade did you get
-have you just completed year 11?
Hi Victoria

Sorry , I’ve just seen this .Yeah if you’ll be self-studying it’s better to opt for the Cambridge sled because it doesn’t include any fieldwork or coursework.I’m not sure if universities have a preference when it comes to specifications , if I were you I would contact those im interested in just in case .
Reply 8
It’s doable but make sure to understand & learn the content well .I would also recommend to be reviewing all the material on a weekly basis so that you won’t be cramming/stressing out the month leading to your exams.I can look for you and send you some booklets with candiates’ responses and examiner comments tomorrow if you want to because the exam technique is very important.Regarding your second question about the exam board which doesn’t include the AS material in the A2 exam - it’s the CIE which does this .With the edexcel exams , if you choose to sit the AS , it won’t count towards your A2 grade ,but with CIE the AS counts towards the final grade and what’s great about this is board is that if you don’t get the grade you have hoped for , you can resit the AS .PS getting higher marks in the AS is much easier so if you manage to score a high grade in the AS , you’ll need less points at the A2 to achieve the grade you want to.If you do start covering this spec , you can ask me whatever you want because I’m familiar with the syllabus and past paper questions.Also I can give you advise on what case studies to cover because sometimes those in the textbook don’t include lots of info for your essays .

A few questions for you :

-did you take gcse geography, if so what grade did you get
-have you just completed year 11?

I moved to the UK last year in Feb... I was supposed to go to high school but long story short, due to covid things got delayed and during that period ..I turned 16.. so I had to join college ..I didn't have any GCSE'S.. I wanted to do A levels, but as I didn't have any GCSE'S, I was forced to do BTEC, so yeah now I have completed BTEC level 1 in business. I will be starting level 3 this Sept, luckily I will be skipping level 2 as I did pretty well in L1 so my tutors decided that I should be doing level 3 next year .. I did GCSE'S in Maths and English this year..with my college.. I am expecting high results but let's see.. I am doing A level Maths privately as well.. I also want to do an essay based subject so that is why I I considering geography, but kinda stuck right now.
Reply 9
Sorry , I’ve just seen this .Yeah if you’ll be self-studying it’s better to opt for the Cambridge sled because it doesn’t include any fieldwork or coursework.I’m not sure if universities have a preference when it comes to specifications , if I were you I would contact those im interested in just in case .

Thanks, so in CIE I will have to sit both As and A level papers? And did you do it privately?
I moved to the UK last year in Feb... I was supposed to go to high school but long story short, due to covid things got delayed and during that period ..I turned 16.. so I had to join college ..I didn't have any GCSE'S.. I wanted to do A levels, but as I didn't have any GCSE'S, I was forced to do BTEC, so yeah now I have completed BTEC level 1 in business. I will be starting level 3 this Sept, luckily I will be skipping level 2 as I did pretty well in L1 so my tutors decided that I should be doing level 3 next year .. I did GCSE'S in Maths and English this year..with my college.. I am expecting high results but let's see.. I am doing A level Maths privately as well.. I also want to do an essay based subject so that is why I I considering geography, but kinda stuck right now.

Aw ok , covid has messed up with everyone’s plans .I hope you do well in your BTEC as well as you GCSES.For maths I would suggest to use Exam Solutions/TLMaths for understanding concepts if you are ever stuck , and for resources you can check out Physics and Maths tutor.I don’t think universities would have a preference in terms of exam boards for Geography since you didn’t take the GCSE plus you’re in a unique situation , but imo contact them just in case.

Revision Guide :

https://notes.papacambridge.com/viewer-mob/caie/cambridge-advanced-cambridge-international-as-and-a-level-subjects-geography-9696-cambridge-international-as-a-level-geography-pdf

Past papers : for years 2018-2020 ->the physical geography AS papers papers are : 11,12,13 , for AS level human Geography check papers 21,22,23.I don’t really remember what the codes for each paper were prior to 2018 , but im sure you’ll figure them out .Also “ins” is for the insert paper which has the figures you’ll be using ,the other two are qp and mark schemes .

https://pastpapers.papacambridge.com/papers/caie/cambridge-advanced-as-and-a-level-geography-9696

Also , I tried to send you the syllabus , but there are some minor changes , one of the syllabuses is for 2021-2022 , the second one for 2023-2024 , so I don’t know which one to send , but don’t worry that can be sorted out by contacting Cambridge
Reply 11
Aw ok , covid has messed up with everyone’s plans .I hope you do well in your BTEC as well as you GCSES.For maths I would suggest to use Exam Solutions/TLMaths for understanding concepts if you are ever stuck , and for resources you can check out Physics and Maths tutor.I don’t think universities would have a preference in terms of exam boards for Geography since you didn’t take the GCSE plus you’re in a unique situation , but imo contact them just in case.

Revision Guide :

https://notes.papacambridge.com/viewer-mob/caie/cambridge-advanced-cambridge-international-as-and-a-level-subjects-geography-9696-cambridge-international-as-a-level-geography-pdf

Past papers : for years 2018-2020 ->the physical geography AS papers papers are : 11,12,13 , for AS level human Geography check papers 21,22,23.I don’t really remember what the codes for each paper were prior to 2018 , but im sure you’ll figure them out .Also “ins” is for the insert paper which has the figures you’ll be using ,the other two are qp and mark schemes .

https://pastpapers.papacambridge.com/papers/caie/cambridge-advanced-as-and-a-level-geography-9696

Also , I tried to send you the syllabus , but there are some minor changes , one of the syllabuses is for 2021-2022 , the second one for 2023-2024 , so I don’t know which one to send , but don’t worry that can be sorted out by contacting Cambridge

Thank you for your help..thank you so much..really appreciate it 🙏.. any textbooks you can suggest?
Thanks, so in CIE I will have to sit both As and A level papers? And did you do it privately?

Yes,you have to both the AS and the A2. I covered the A-Level syllabus in school , and I’ve finished my exams last month , currently waiting for results day .

CFFFEA71-D509-43CB-BD32-28218A28B410.jpeg -> Cambridge grade boundaries

1AF24992-7712-462F-BA87-16CA50157B5D.jpeg-> Edexcel grade boundaries

CIE examiners are harsh but still the hardest boundaries are much lower than Edexcel’s .Also , Cambridge offers Geography exams to 3 different time zones , UK is time zone 3, I don’t remember the codes of the papers , the questions in different time zones vary but the content they’re based on is the same .You can use all of them when revising.
Thank you for your help..thank you so much..really appreciate it 🙏.. any textbooks you can suggest?

You’re welcome .

this is the textbook we used in my school , it’s endorsed by Cambridge.I can’t find the pdf version though :/ sorry

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cambridge-International-Level-Geography-second/dp/1471868567/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=cambridge+international+as+and+a+level+geography&qid=1625090421&sprefix=cambridge+international+as+and+a+level+geo&sr=8-1
Hey , anyone here who did A level geography privately? Even if not, I will appreciate if someone could tell me the books I will need to cover the whole 2 years content. Are there any online resources to take help from as I will be self studying. I am considered edexcel board.

Thank you.

hey! I'm also thinking of studying A level Geography on my own. Will you be covering the whole A level content in one year or longer?
Reply 15
Hey ...I have decided that I will start Geography after completing maths.. but I think I will have to do it In one year ..what about you?
Reply 16

Is it for both AS and A or only As?
Is it for both AS and A or only As?

AS&A2
Reply 18
tysm.. I hope that this book will be enough to cover the whole content or would I need something else as well?
Hey ...I have decided that I will start Geography after completing maths.. but I think I will have to do it In one year ..what about you?

I am thinking of doing Maths, Geography, Physics and Further Maths - any combination of these subjects, but I do have some foundation in Maths and Geography as I did them in the IB at SL. And I want to do them in one year, taking the exams in 2022.

Quick Reply

Latest