The Student Room Group

Studying Chemistry AS. Advice?

Any tips on studying Chemistry AS. I know it's hard. So help!
(edited 2 years ago)
Don’t fall behind, if you don’t get something get help so you understand it ASAP (ideally before the next lesson).

Do exam questions and make flashcards as you go along to consolidate what you do in class.

Don’t leave revision to that last minute, exam questions are a life-saver when it comes to revision (it’s all you really need to do if you consolidate as you go along).

As well as exam questions use seneca for revision, it’s perfect for the day before the exam or day to day revision when your travelling, waiting between lessons etc.

If you’re at the end of AS now and your results aren’t what you’d like I’d recommend RAG rating the topics, if your not sure what you’d rank each topic do some exam questions and make red 2+ grades below target, amber 1 grade below target and green on target or above. Focus your revision on R/A topics over the summer. Go over them, make flashcards (or whatever works for you) and then re test yourself using AS papers.

https://www.a-levelchemistry.co.uk/1st-year-and-as-level.html - they have topic tests for all the topics - I found them really good revision
Try to write down all the reaction names, reactants, products, catalysts, conditions and mechanisms (especially for organic chemistry) in flash card form and try to revise them frequently. I used to revise them every other day, every day before exams. They are very confusing and also very important when you get into A2, so try to get on top of them quickly.
Thank you so much
Original post by tejimthrowniy
Try to write down all the reaction names, reactants, products, catalysts, conditions and mechanisms (especially for organic chemistry) in flash card form and try to revise them frequently. I used to revise them every other day, every day before exams. They are very confusing and also very important when you get into A2, so try to get on top of them quickly.

thank you
Original post by Hellllpppp
Don’t fall behind, if you don’t get something get help so you understand it ASAP (ideally before the next lesson).

Do exam questions and make flashcards as you go along to consolidate what you do in class.

Don’t leave revision to that last minute, exam questions are a life-saver when it comes to revision (it’s all you really need to do if you consolidate as you go along).

As well as exam questions use seneca for revision, it’s perfect for the day before the exam or day to day revision when your travelling, waiting between lessons etc.

If you’re at the end of AS now and your results aren’t what you’d like I’d recommend RAG rating the topics, if your not sure what you’d rank each topic do some exam questions and make red 2+ grades below target, amber 1 grade below target and green on target or above. Focus your revision on R/A topics over the summer. Go over them, make flashcards (or whatever works for you) and then re test yourself using AS papers.

https://www.a-levelchemistry.co.uk/1st-year-and-as-level.html - they have topic tests for all the topics - I found them really good revision

Thank you so much

Quick Reply

Latest