The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Manchester Uni announces permanent move to ‘blended learning’

"The University of Manchester has announced plans to move parts of teaching such as lectures permanently online even after the pandemic."

Source - https://thetab.com/uk/manchester/2021/07/02/manchester-uni-announces-permanent-move-to-blended-learning-51967

Absolutely disgusting. This clearly isn't a move motivated for the benefit of students. They will have probably found a way to save some money despite the fact they will be charging the same fees.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by SuperGirl3231
"The University of Manchester has announced plans to move parts of teaching such as lectures permanently online even after the pandemic."

Source - https://thetab.com/uk/manchester/2021/07/02/manchester-uni-announces-permanent-move-to-blended-learning-51967

Absolutely disgusting. This clearly isn't a move motivated for the benefit of students. They will have probably found a way to save some money despite the fact they will be charging the same fees.

Don't worry, if what they have said is true students will be put off and will instead attend other universities. They will then reverse their decision.

I know some students enjoy online learning but it doesn't suit everyone.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
To be honest, online lectures make perfect sense in many ways. The only purpose of lectures is to make notes - being able to rewatch, pause or rewind a recorded lecture is far better than in-person ones where you end up scribbling down a load of words which end up making no sense.

Seminars on the other hand ought or return to in-person. Any online alternative doesn’t come close to actually discussing ideas with people together in a classroom.
Reply 3
Original post by JOSH4598
To be honest, online lectures make perfect sense in many ways. The only purpose of lectures is to make notes - being able to rewatch, pause or rewind a recorded lecture is far better than in-person ones where you end up scribbling down a load of words which end up making no sense.

Seminars on the other hand ought or return to in-person. Any online alternative doesn’t come close to actually discussing ideas with people together in a classroom.

Then students may as well study at open university... What would be the point in moving to a new city to sit in your over priced student accommodation? You may as well stay at home and study online.

I'm ok with online learning but the cost of courses should reflect the decision.
The key phrase here is *blended* -both.

You get lectures which you would have sat and listened to with little to no interaction online so you can watch in your own time, probably pre-recorded so that you can over it/skip over parts.

Then you will have the rest in person.
I reckon most universities will head towards similar tbh. Done properly/well, there is no down side.
Original post by GabiAbi84
Done properly/well, there is no down side.

There are many downsides.
There are many downsides.

Such as??
Such as??

What is the point of going to university to basically sit at a computer for most of that time with the occasional in-person class? Maybe people did this during at least part of the pandemic and hated it.
What is the point of going to university to basically sit at a computer for most of that time with the occasional in-person class? Maybe people did this during at least part of the pandemic and hated it.

If you read what I wrote I said blended learning done properly/well it had no downside.
If it is not balanced, with “most of the time” on the computer then that is not done well/properly.
Reply 9

I had online learning from January - June. It is nowhere near the same. Personally I learn better in person and I know many others who feel the same.
If you read what I wrote I said blended learning done properly/well it had no downside.
If it is not balanced, with “most of the time” on the computer then that is not done well/properly.

Lectures will always make up most of the time at university. There's little else on a lot of courses, especially on degrees without practical classes. It makes paying for student accommodation utterly pointless. You might as well go to the Open University for the reduced fees.
This, alongside the other controversies of Manchester University, has me questioning whether I should make an application despite the fact that I absolutely adore the city and the course content is exactly what I want. Although I can learn online fairly well, I feel as though the quality of education may not be worth the costs.
It does seem more universities are telling students just how good blended learning really is (despite students actually saying the opposite). Here is a BBC News article about Welsh University leaders - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-57609870
It does seem more universities are telling students just how good blended learning really is (despite students actually saying the opposite). Here is a BBC News article about Welsh University leaders - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-57609870

I question whether some Universities actually listen to their students. It seems as though Manchester's student union is brilliant, but the heads of the university don't care.
Very bad!
I can just see a lot of other universities following Manchester now after this. I think students need clarity from their universities about what they are planning to do after the pandemic. Students deserve better considering just how much money is being paid.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Oceanwater
I question whether some Universities actually listen to their students. It seems as though Manchester's student union is brilliant, but the heads of the university don't care.

Universities clearly don't care about their students. It is all about the money now.

Tbh i broadly suspected this happening.

Lectures often have low in person attendance anyway. Makes a better use of time and facilities to deliver them virtually and allow in person to be more focused, smaller groups...
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by P4R90
Then students may as well study at open university... What would be the point in moving to a new city to sit in your over priced student accommodation? You may as well stay at home and study online.

I'm ok with online learning but the cost of courses should reflect the decision.

I don't disagree, but in my experience online lectures have enabled me to make far better notes than when they were in-person. I think I made it clear I want in-person seminars and workshops so I'm by no means suggesting we should stay at home and study online. Just on the point of lectures, I can't see any major benefits of them being in-person.

I too would want to see the price of tuition come down, but logistically speaking the universities are still paying the lecturers the same wage whether they're stood in a lecture theatre or in their home office online. I don't think moving lectures online would save them a fortune, compared to say moving everything online.
Original post by JOSH4598
I can't see any major benefits of them being in-person.

Many people do though and it is terrible to get rid of them. Many universities had lectures in-person and then put recordings of them online before the pandemic. Why is Manchester not doing that after the pandemic?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending