The Student Room Group

going paperless for uni?

i'm not sure whether it's worth going paperless for uni or if i'm just being extra...

i was thinking that if i do go paperless i would buy an ipad and an apple pen to write my notes but then i feel like i can't get through uni with only an ipad so i'd also need a laptop as well. so i'd have to buy both an ipad and laptop which costs more. i don't mind buying both but i'm just wondering if going paperless is worth spending extra £££ on or if i should only buy a new laptop and use paper when needed
Reply 1
Interesting question really due to the technological advances you would mainly just need it to print. But I feel like both an iPad and laptop is excessive
Reply 2
You could buy a 360° Laptop with a touchscreen so you can use it as a laptop and a notebook!
Why do you need both an iPad and a laptop? It'd make more sense to buy a laptop that's small and light enough to carry easily (I used a 13" laptop for uni).
Reply 4
Original post by SyedN
You could buy a 360° Laptop with a touchscreen so you can use it as a laptop and a notebook!

woww i forgot those existed!! thanks for the suggestion i'll check some out
Reply 5
Original post by sinfonietta
Why do you need both an iPad and a laptop? It'd make more sense to buy a laptop that's small and light enough to carry easily (I used a 13" laptop for uni).

yeah true true. what laptop did you use for uni? i'm not really sure what type to get
Original post by wiiparty
yeah true true. what laptop did you use for uni? i'm not really sure what type to get

I used a MacBook Air. I actually won it in a contest here on TSR. I would've gone for something cheaper if I had been paying for it myself.
Reply 7
I used a MacBook Air. I actually won it in a contest here on TSR. I would've gone for something cheaper if I had been paying for it myself.

I remember that contest, that’s for the grow your grades blog right?
Reply 8

ohhh nice! do you think it's worth buying a macbook air? i was initially thinking about getting a macbook but again, not too sure if it's worth it or if i'm just being extra
Reply 9
Original post by wiiparty
ohhh nice! do you think it's worth buying a macbook air? i was initially thinking about getting a macbook but again, not too sure if it's worth it or if i'm just being extra

The new Macbook Air with the M1 Chip? 100%, if you prefer MacOS.

If you prefer Windows, get a HP Envy, they are super good, with 360° rotation and touchscreen, just be sure to get a Ryzen one not an Intel one.
Reply 10
Original post by SyedN

If you prefer Windows, get a HP Envy, they are super good, with 360° rotation and touchscreen, just be sure to get a Ryzen one not an Intel one.

going to watch youtube reviews on both, thank you!!!
Original post by SyedN

Why do you recommend a Ryzen CPU over an Intel one? Sorry, not too good with tech but I generally thought Intel was better from what I heard, does Ryzen perform better?
Reply 12
Original post by sensei_grogu
Why do you recommend a Ryzen CPU over an Intel one? Sorry, not too good with tech but I generally thought Intel was better from what I heard, does Ryzen perform better?

Intel used to be good, but recently (2017) AMD released Ryzen CPUs which have been destroying Intel CPUs in everything.

In the laptop space it usually means you get a faster, better CPU which runs usually cooler than an Intel laptop with a better battery life and is cheaper than Intel laptops.

Here's a video if you want to learn/see a comparison between a Ryzen HP Envy and an Intel HP Envy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V3uB12mRrU
I haven't gone paperless but I'm almost there. I know someone who went full paperless - they use a Microsoft surface and make all their notes on OneNote which is free. It is very expensive with the pen as well but it is definitely worth it!

For a cheaper option, you can buy pen tablets now from about £20 (I bought an XP v2 for £39) and they are very good for taking notes and are practically compatible with all laptops and computers! You can still use Onenote for notes and it's great for going paperless. You just need practice.

Ipad pens and ipads do work but using a pen tablet or something like a touchscreen tablet with a stylus (like the Microsoft surface) is more practical as they can do much more and have the full version of software and applications

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending