The Student Room Group

a level combination

I want to study law at university and Ive been told there isn’t a subject requirement, just that there needs to be some essay based subjects.

However, I've also been told that history is recommended and that most people who study law have taken it at a level. I too wanted to study history but I was told I couldn’t since I studied geography at GCSE, so I have to stick with it.

Will this limit my chances at studying law among other candidates who had taken history?

I’m planning on taking Geography, English Lit, and Sociology.
Original post by Revisemathss
I want to study law at university and Ive been told there isn’t a subject requirement, just that there needs to be some essay based subjects.

However, I've also been told that history is recommended and that most people who study law have taken it at a level. I too wanted to study history but I was told I couldn’t since I studied geography at GCSE, so I have to stick with it.

Will this limit my chances at studying law among other candidates who had taken history?

History is good for law, at a level gcse history isn’t required as you study different time periods most of the time, there is some skills you need like essay writing but even the essay skills are different at a level, if your good at English you should be fine
Original post by Ghostface6001
History is good for law, at a level gcse history isn’t required as you study different time periods most of the time, there is some skills you need like essay writing but even the essay skills are different at a level, if your good at English you should be fine

I wish my school would understand this but they said I can’t study history and have to sick with geography. I’ve asked multiple times and they keep saying I can’t :frown:

However, I've also been told that history is recommended and that most people who study law have taken it at a level. I too wanted to study history but my school said I’m not allowed since I studied geography at GCSE, so I have to stick with it. I have asked multiple times and each time they have rejected.

I think you will be fine for most unis, they often have a broad selection of subjects they accept. Maybe check out entry requirements of some Unis you would be interested in.

But the real question here is what kind of school stops their student's from taking A levels of their choice?? Without even a preliminary period? The minimum for A levels I'm sure is just 5 GCSES and a good Maths and English grade?? Not any specific subject
GCSE History has nothing to do with A level History! They are about as similar as my a$$ crack and left toe
Original post by Satori Tendō
I think you will be fine for most unis, they often have a broad selection of subjects they accept. Maybe check out entry requirements of some Unis you would be interested in.

But the real question here is what kind of school stops their student's from taking A levels of their choice?? Without even a preliminary period? The minimum for A levels I'm sure is just 5 GCSES and a good Maths and English grade?? Not any specific subject
GCSE History has nothing to do with A level History! They are about as similar as my a$$ crack and left toe

Thank you, I’ll do that. Ironic thing is that one of the current history teachers also did geography at gcse and then went to do history at a level, and he would always preach about how you don’t need to take history at gcse to do it at a level. Now look :/
I guess grades are more important than the actual subjects though.
I wish my school would understand this but they said I can’t study history and have to sick with geography. I’ve asked multiple times and they keep saying I can’t :frown:

Perhaps ask to sit a paper and see what you would get? But this wouldn’t work well as you’ve never studied the time periods, I suggest applying elsewhere, or just don’t do history- u don’t NEED it, it’s just nice to have
history isn't needed to do law, just a lot of law students do it. i've a friend who does law and he did bio, chem and politics so you definitely don't need it! your subject combination is fine for law so i wouldn't worry about not being able to take history, particularly as your subjects are all essay-based.

You don't have to study history to do law at uni. You will be fine without it.
Geography, English lit and sociology are fine for law a-level

same I also want to study law at university and I've looked at so many university requirements and they don't have specific requirements except you need 1/2 essay based subjects and even then most unis will have a preferred list but every subject is on there

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/how-apply/entry-requirements
go to list of subjects

most universities hate and don't accept General Studies and Critical Thinking
Biology, geography, psychology
Reply 11
art, English lit and psychology- but the thing is my new school doesn't offer psychology as an option so I might have to do it online...

Quick Reply

Latest