The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

BCU or University of Leeds

Hi guys

I’m soo confused between choosing to go study at leeds uni or birmingham city. I am a transfer student from portsmouth and I will be studying diagnostic radiography. Any help will be much appreciated
Hi,

I'm not at Uni yet, but I'm doing the opposite to you I hope, going from in-between Leeds and Man, to go to Portsmouth - I want to study Interior Architecture.

I guess the best thing to do is look at the prospectus, see which has a course that, a) you like more, and b) will be more beneficial to you. Someone who wants to do the same course as you may like the other university to you because of the kind of course they want to do. Is it more practical? Or is it more theory?
Look at past grades - this is what a lot of my teachers did before they applied for my school. They would look at the past grades students have got to see whether it is a good school.
And look at the staff, specialties, and halls, this may not be very important, but if you really can't decide, going to a university that is smarter, has better qualified staff or has a more varied range of specialties may show that the university is better than the other.
Obviously put the grades before the architecture, etc, but it wouldn't harm to go to a university that looks nice if you are going to get the same results from either.

~ Jay
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Original post by Amanda_kisimisi
Hi guys

I’m soo confused between choosing to go study at leeds uni or birmingham city. I am a transfer student from portsmouth and I will be studying diagnostic radiography. Any help will be much appreciated

Hey, I'm going into my fourth year at Leeds and have generally had a great time there, what would you like to know about it!
Original post by yeahthatonethere
Hey, I'm going into my fourth year at Leeds and have generally had a great time there, what would you like to know about it!

Hi, what has Leeds been like with covid and all that? Mostly online? I'd appreciate any info you can give, thanks!
Thank you guys
Original post by nesstudent
Hi, what has Leeds been like with covid and all that? Mostly online? I'd appreciate any info you can give, thanks!

Yeah due to covid every part of my course (including labs) has been online. Its had some up and some big downs but you gotta do what you gotta do. It's changing in the autumn though to being 'blended' so hopefully more time on campus. I'm not really sure what to say without specific qurstion really haha. The choice of accommodation is really varied which I found great, the campus is really close to the city center but just out of it so not super crowded, I love the city itself! If there are any specific questions you have that may help me give you a better answer haha.
Original post by yeahthatonethere
Yeah due to covid every part of my course (including labs) has been online. Its had some up and some big downs but you gotta do what you gotta do. It's changing in the autumn though to being 'blended' so hopefully more time on campus. I'm not really sure what to say without specific qurstion really haha. The choice of accommodation is really varied which I found great, the campus is really close to the city center but just out of it so not super crowded, I love the city itself! If there are any specific questions you have that may help me give you a better answer haha.

Haha thanks for the answer. If you don't mind saying, what accommodation are you at and is it nice? And are common rooms and gyms across the university open or not? Also, libraries. Are there a lot of them at Leeds and are they nice? Thanks :biggrin:

Oh, and one more thing I just remembered haha. What's the weather like at Leeds, like in summer, autumn, winter, and spring?
Original post by nesstudent
Haha thanks for the answer. If you don't mind saying, what accommodation are you at and is it nice? And are common rooms and gyms across the university open or not? Also, libraries. Are there a lot of them at Leeds and are they nice? Thanks :biggrin:

Oh, and one more thing I just remembered haha. What's the weather like at Leeds, like in summer, autumn, winter, and spring?

I'm going into my fourth year so I'm in non-uni provided accomodation but back in first year I stayed at Montague Burton (close to uni, self catered, shared bathroom, 9 person flat) and it was lovely! I had an amazing first year there and will always reccomend it.

Not sure with covid but the uni has a gym on campus called the edge which you get a free membership with in first year if you stay in one of the unis accommodations. It's pretty decent, I've only been once or twice though 😅. Common area wise there's plenty all around the uni! There's pubs and bars and cafe spaces in the union building and little cafes and seating areas in pretty much every building of the uni!

Off the top of my head I can think of four libraries on the campus with laidlaw being the newest and most modern, parkinson building which is super old and aesthetic, and then the two others are Edward boyle which is probably the biggest and then there's health sciences which is smaller and less well known.

Ngl the weather is like the rest of England and pretty much unpredictable! In the spring it can be snow one week then belting heat next week. Every month has its random mix of rain, sun and cloud.

Quick Reply

Latest