The Student Room Group

UCAT prep

Hello,
I booked my UCAT for the 21st of August which is 7 weeks from now.
I really wanna make a competitive application for my medical university and in prior I have never in my life done questions like this so I decided to give it my best shot and I'm planning to do 300 questions a day, when I told this to many people they were talking about burning out, I don't actually burn out that quick and I really wanna score well should I go with my plan? thanks in advance
yes, if you dont burn out quickly, then why not
also, its best to put your questions in the UCAT 2022 mega thread, you'll get answered quicker and more people will reply etc.
here it is:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6864776
(edited 2 years ago)
300 questions per day is quite a lot, you might be better doing around 100-200 per day and a mock test every few days also, as if you do burn out, it might cause you to get a lower score in the actual test than you want. It’s completely up to you though, if you do decide to do 300/day, make sure to recognise signs of burnout and take a break.
Good luck! :smile:
Would you not rather look and try some UCAT questions then plan your date for UCAT accordingly or when you are ready?

Also its worth keeping in mind that 300 questions a day is a lot of questions, especially for sections like VR or SJT where you are staring at small text on a screen for hours at once, so if you are planning on doing 300 a day do try and split it up over the course of the day so your eyes don't dry out.

Another thing is to remember to take a break when you get frustrated. I used to get really frustrated at the AR and SJT sections and it definitely did not help me :biggrin:.
Original post by PastelColours
yes, if you dont burn out quickly, then why not

Thank you !!!
Original post by amber0321
300 questions per day is quite a lot, you might be better doing around 100-200 per day and a mock test every few days also, as if you do burn out, it might cause you to get a lower score in the actual test than you want. It’s completely up to you though, if you do decide to do 300/day, make sure to recognise signs of burnout and take a break.
Good luck! :smile:

Thank you !!!
Original post by Revathi star
Hello,
I booked my UCAT for the 21st of August which is 7 weeks from now.
I really wanna make a competitive application for my medical university and in prior I have never in my life done questions like this so I decided to give it my best shot and I'm planning to do 300 questions a day, when I told this to many people they were talking about burning out, I don't actually burn out that quick and I really wanna score well should I go with my plan? thanks in advance

Hiya,

First of all, I just wanted to say that it's great that you've set yourself a high-achieving goal, and 7 weeks is a good number of weeks to prepare for! I had the same attitude before I started preparing for my admissions tests - I wanted to get the best score that I could, so I set myself the task of doing many more hours of practice each day than the average. But looking back, it was not the wisest decision, because I did burn out and on the day of the exams I was quite stressed. I added unnecessary pressure on myself for performing well because I knew that I had done so much revision and that I couldn't let myself, or others who had seen me do so much revision, down.

Therefore, I agree with what @amber0321 and @greg6868 have commented - 300 questions is quite a lot to complete in a day and after a week or so, you will most likely start seeing your attention span decline when answering the questions. Also, if you just do questions after questions without thoroughly reviewing why you got each question wrong then your ability will reach a plateau quite quickly! I recommend doing around 100-150 questions per day, so that you still allow yourself some time to reflect on your level of skill in each section and focus on tips and tricks that will help you approach the different sections better.

If you do want to increase the number of questions you complete in a day, then I recommend doing so during the last few weeks before the exam. By that time, you should have established good technique and will be able to solve questions much more quickly and efficiently because you would have spent time in the past few weeks to identify weak areas and improve on them :smile:.

Make sure to keep us updated on how your revision goes - I'm sure you'll do absolutely brilliantly! And if you have any further questions then I'd be more than happy to answer them.

Marimo Rossiter
UCL Y1 Med Student
Medic Mind
Original post by Medic Mind
Hiya,

First of all, I just wanted to say that it's great that you've set yourself a high-achieving goal, and 7 weeks is a good number of weeks to prepare for! I had the same attitude before I started preparing for my admissions tests - I wanted to get the best score that I could, so I set myself the task of doing many more hours of practice each day than the average. But looking back, it was not the wisest decision, because I did burn out and on the day of the exams I was quite stressed. I added unnecessary pressure on myself for performing well because I knew that I had done so much revision and that I couldn't let myself, or others who had seen me do so much revision, down.

Therefore, I agree with what @amber0321 and @greg6868 have commented - 300 questions is quite a lot to complete in a day and after a week or so, you will most likely start seeing your attention span decline when answering the questions. Also, if you just do questions after questions without thoroughly reviewing why you got each question wrong then your ability will reach a plateau quite quickly! I recommend doing around 100-150 questions per day, so that you still allow yourself some time to reflect on your level of skill in each section and focus on tips and tricks that will help you approach the different sections better.

If you do want to increase the number of questions you complete in a day, then I recommend doing so during the last few weeks before the exam. By that time, you should have established good technique and will be able to solve questions much more quickly and efficiently because you would have spent time in the past few weeks to identify weak areas and improve on them :smile:.

Make sure to keep us updated on how your revision goes - I'm sure you'll do absolutely brilliantly! And if you have any further questions then I'd be more than happy to answer them.

Marimo Rossiter
UCL Y1 Med Student
Medic Mind

That's really nice advice I feel like now I do get the importance of reviewing, Thank you so much.
Is there a way that you can suggest a method to review my answers?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending