The Student Room Group

Deciding what university to go to

Hi there , i have been really struggling to decide what university to go to which will best suit me . Id love a university where you get lots of support and time with lecturers , as well as having lots of time outside seeing physical structures ect . I know i dont want to go somewhere in london but other than that , im stumped . I am also not 100% sure on the course i want , like earth science or physical geography . I would love to learn mainly about volcanoes , tectonics , glaciers ect .

Any help would be great!
Hi!

Choosing what university to go to and what course you would like to do are really big decisions, so it's totally normal to feel overwhelmed with all the things to consider, but try not to worry! I'd suggest just doing lots of research for now into different universities you might like the look of, and see what type of courses linked to those areas they offer. Bare in mind that even if universities show courses with the same title, their structure and content is likely to be different so definitely look into them in detail.

Here's what we offer at the University of Reading:

BSc Geography and Archaeology

BSc Geography and Archaeology with Placement and Study Year Abroad

BSc Geography and Archaeology with Professional Placement

BSc Geography and Archaeology with Study Year Abroad

BSc Environmental Science

BSc Environmental Science with Professional Experience

BSc Geography and Economics (Regional Science)

BSc Geography and Economics (Regional Science) with Professional Experience

BSc Geography (Human and Physical)

BSc Geography (Human and Physical) with Professional Experience

BSc Geography (Human)

BSc Geography (Human) with Professional Experience

BSc Geography (Physical)

BSc Geography (Physical) with Professional Experience

So lots to think about!
If you think any of these interest you, please ask any questions you may have and we can do our best to help you and/or put you in touch with a current student to chat to about their experiences if that would be helpful. Reading is very well known for its Geography courses and their practical elements.

More information about each course individually in detail (as this would be a very long reply if I tried to go through them all) can be found here:
Geography Courses at UoR

Reading is also a great location too as it is one of the main travel links to pretty much everywhere in the UK so it's always easy to visit home, friends in other unis and go on trips! It's close enough to London for example, that if you wanted a day trip you could, but also far enough away that you aren't on it's doorstep engulfed in all the hustle and bustle of the busy city! It's also a campus university, which means all the university buildings are in one place unlike city campuses.

I hope this is helpful in some way!
Good luck with your decision making! :smile:

Skye
1st Year Speech and Language Therapy Student
Original post by SpectroGirl
Hi there , i have been really struggling to decide what university to go to which will best suit me . Id love a university where you get lots of support and time with lecturers , as well as having lots of time outside seeing physical structures ect . I know i dont want to go somewhere in london but other than that , im stumped . I am also not 100% sure on the course i want , like earth science or physical geography . I would love to learn mainly about volcanoes , tectonics , glaciers ect .

Any help would be great!

@Plagioclase did a degree in Earth Sciences and may be able to help you.
Reply 3
What grades are you aiming for and in what subjects? Any preference for region of the country?

Any help would be great!

Hi there!
I am a BSc Geography student at Southampton so can answer any questions about that if you are interested in Southampton or Geography in general. On the geography course we study all those things you mentioned, i did a really cool glaciers module this year which i really enjoyed. We have great supportive staff too and an overseas field trip to Tenerife which i found really fun!
Definitely look at the university websites and find out about the modules each university offers. This really helped me choose a university which suited my interests best.

Let me know if you have any questions!
Immy (3rd year BSc Geography)
Original post by ajj2000
What grades are you aiming for and in what subjects? Any preference for region of the country?

As in my A level grades ? And i dont really mind where abouts the uni is in the UK
Original post by Uni of Southampton Students
Hi there!
I am a BSc Geography student at Southampton so can answer any questions about that if you are interested in Southampton or Geography in general. On the geography course we study all those things you mentioned, i did a really cool glaciers module this year which i really enjoyed. We have great supportive staff too and an overseas field trip to Tenerife which i found really fun!
Definitely look at the university websites and find out about the modules each university offers. This really helped me choose a university which suited my interests best.

Let me know if you have any questions!
Immy (3rd year BSc Geography)

Hi , how did you manage to chose southampton over any other university to study at ?
Reply 7
As in my A level grades ? And i dont really mind where abouts the uni is in the UK

Yes - a level grades.
Original post by ajj2000
Yes - a level grades.

im thinking chemistry ( A/A*) and same in biology and maths (B/A)
Reply 9
im thinking chemistry ( A/A*) and same in biology and maths (B/A)

Southampton have some really interesting courses - well worth looking through the website. Also have a look at courses at Bristol and Exeter.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending