The Student Room Group

Would this be good a for a Macbeth essay main body parapraph (Extract is Act 2 Sce 1)

In the extract Shakespeare contrasts his protagonist, Macbeth, to noble Banquo in order to show the corrupting nature of the witches. Macbeth claims to “think not” of the witches while Banquo openly admits to have “dreamt last night of the three Weird sisters”. Macbeth's duplicity begins to juxtapose his original traits shown (Loyalty). Shakespeare's use of dialogue In Act 2 scene 1 also depicts the diverging paths the two characters have taken. Banquo will keep his “bosom franchised and allegiance clear” and will not violate his own code of honour highlighting his suspicion that Macbeth might carry out dishonourable actions to force the prophecy true creating a contrast between good and evil this shows the corrupting nature of the weird sisters as the once loyal, brave relentless battle-hero has now turned into a duplicitous and nefarious character that has lost his mores. Shakespeare uses this contrast of good and evil to warn is audience that any involvement with the supernatural would lead to evil being let into the chain of being leading destruction.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by ouioui
In the extract, Shakespeare contrasts his protagonist, Macbeth, to noble Banquo, in order to show the corrupting nature of the witches. Macbeth claims to 'think not' of the witches while Banquo openly admits to have 'dreamt last night of the three weird sisters'.
Excellent introduction to the paragraph! The only part you should amend is to put 'Noble Banquo' inside quotation marks as this is a phrase used by King Duncan in Act 1, Scene 4. See reference below.
I have also tweaked the punctation so the sentence flows better.

Duncan:
Welcome hither.

I have begun to plant thee, and will labor
To make thee full of growing. (to BANQUO) Noble Banquo,
That hast no less deserved, nor must be known
No less to have done so, let me infold thee

And hold thee to my heart.

Macbeth's duplicity begins to juxtapose his original traits shown (Loyalty).
Perhaps, bring in another quote about Macbeth's prior nature. 'Brave Macbeth' is a suitable one from Act 1, Scene 2. See below for reference.
In addition, adding some context would improve this paragraph. Have you heard of 'The Prince'? Feel free to tag me into this thread if you do not understand the significance to Macbeth. :smile:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Prince

Captain:
But all’s too weak,

For brave Macbeth—well he deserves that name—
Disdaining fortune, with his brandished steel,
Which smoked with bloody execution,
Like valor’s minion carved out his passage
Till he faced the slave;

Shakespeare's use of dialogue in Act 2, Scene 1 also depicts the diverging paths the two characters have taken.
Excellent! You have also mentioned the Act and Scene which shows the examiner that you have a deep understanding of the play.

Banquo will keep his “bosom franchised' and 'allegiance clear” and will not violate his own code of honour highlighting his suspicion that Macbeth might carry out dishonourable actions to force the prophecy true creating a contrast between good and evil this shows the corrupting nature of the weird sisters as the once loyal, brave relentless battle-hero has now turned into a duplicitous and nefarious character that has lost his mores.
It's proving to be a bit difficult to understand what you mean in this sentence. I suggest you try re-wording it. Also, the sentence is much too long. Try and add a full stop in between to break it up.

Shakespeare uses this contrast of good and evil to warn the audience that any involvement with the supernatural would lead to evil being let into the chain of being leading destruction.
Even this does not make much sense. Are you trying to refer to the 'Great chain of being'?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_chain_of_being

Great paragraph @ouioui. Above are a few tips. :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending