The Student Room Group

Too scared to open results in case a 2:2

I'm a final year uni student, although just started my grad scheme and will finish the training period in a couple weeks which is all going well and I'm really excited about it and enjoying it.
Basically, earlier this year I had a huge knock to my confidence when I got a horribly low grade in a project, the lowest I've ever had at university. I had covid at the time of writing it and was really struggling with symptoms, mother was in hospital and other personal stuff going on. I also had a useless tutor who gave me next to no guidance so the project was awful to be honest. I got BofE consideration due to my circumstances but my appeal was rejected.
My final piece of work handed in I think was a lot better, I was essentially told that as long as I got a decent grade in this, I'd be fine for a 2:1 which put an insane amount of pressure on this one piece of work. All my other grades are low 2:1s so I don't have much room for mess ups, and yes I know this part is my fault. Part of it is down to personal stuff I was dealing with but I'd be lying if I said I genuinely worked my hardest all throughout uni, and I really regret that now.

So with this final piece of work (4000 word project, 20 credits), I harassed my new supervisor lol who was actually really good and I put everything I had into it and generally feel much more secure about it. He edited drafts, sent me literature to use and made some really important corrections with some of the theories I was using. With the other project I honestly felt like I was wondering around blind, that other tutor was useless, never answered emails and scheduling calls was a nightmare. I know by now the results will be back and I'm too scared to open it, even though I'm already on my grad scheme and they take 2:2s so it literally doesn't matter but it just really sucks that after my years of hard work, I could come out with a grade that doesn't reflect that. After the crap project mark my confidence has plummeted and I'm scared I did terribly in this as well meaning I'll get dragged down to a 2:2.

I know a 2:2 isn't the end of the world, this grad scheme is a two year contract and by the time I'm onto doing other jobs, they'll be far more interested in that than a grade from uni but it's been really affecting my mental health regardless, struggling to eat and sleep and enjoy my days. I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this or has any words of advice?
(edited 2 years ago)
I'd say rip the plaster off quickly and get it over with as soon as possible. You'll suffer more from not knowing than you will from knowing. In the grand scheme of things, your grade does not define your life or mean that your ability is limited.
(edited 2 years ago)
Yeah I agree with above
Maybe write down on paper what you’ll do if it is a 2:2 so don’t have to work it out after
Reply 3
Original post by yeetouttawindow
Yeah I agree with above
Maybe write down on paper what you’ll do if it is a 2:2 so don’t have to work it out after

Thing is I won't really have to do anything as I'll just stay on my grad scheme and nothing will really change so I know its ridiculous I'm so stressed about it but yeah, you're right
The longer you wait the more stress will build up. I think you just need to do it as soon as you can and hopefully scream for joy when you see 2:1!!
Reply 5
Original post by Celtic Conjurer
The longer you wait the more stress will build up. I think you just need to do it as soon as you can and hopefully scream for joy when you see 2:1!!

ahhh hopefully? because of board of examiners I don't think I'll get the actual degree classification until July, but this final result will pretty much confirm how I do, I've worked it out and with the safety net and bofe it needs to be a 58 or more and it should be because I really put a lot of work in but now I'm just really paranoid after the last result because even though I knew it wasn't my best work I was not expecting such a shoddy grade
Reply 6
thought i'd update: got a 2:1!
Original post by Flozzie543
thought i'd update: got a 2:1!

Amazing, well done!!! Can imagine the sense of relief you must feel!
Congratulations, your persistence paid off.

Quick Reply

Latest