The Student Room Group

What football team should I support?

I had never found football particularly interesting up until the Euros, where I watched all the matches I could and I enjoyed watching it a lot. So now it is over I would like to start supporting a football team, but my family are not really football fans (my dad technically supports Arsenal but never watches any of their matches).
I live in south east England, so I would like to support a club from around there but mainly I would like to support one that plays good, honest football and has nice players.
Sorry for rambling so much, but I would love to hear if anyone has any suggestions of who I should support, or how to pick a team to support.

Thank you :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Maybe you don't need to go into it supporting one club vehemently. Watch some of them play, keep up to date on the news, and you'll probably naturally find an affinity for one.

Alternatively maybe @Tolgash can find you a team to fit those criteria.
Reply 2
Thanks for the mention, @ashtolga23.

First of all, which club would you say is nearest to where you live? A lot of football fans support their local clubs, and many are appreciative of those who aren't merely 'gloryhunters' or 'plastic' supporters (i.e. fickle fans who choose a club to support simply because it is successful, so they can therefore boast about such success as if the club truly meant something to them beyond silverware).

Next, go off family. If your father 'technically' supports Arsenal, there's no reason to not properly support them.

You could even just support a club for its success and disregard the criticism you'll inevitably face at some point.

Or, you could just watch football for the spirit of the sport, and view it as a neutral, with a slight preference for one of the teams playing on the day (e.g. they're an underdog).
(edited 2 years ago)
The mighty Aston Villa :wink:
Where do you live? I'm firmly of the belief that the best way to get into football is by going regularly, so I'd get stuck into one within easy reach of a return trip on a Saturday.
Original post by Icantthink
I had never found football particularly interesting up until the Euros, where I watched all the matches I could and I enjoyed watching it a lot. So now it is over I would like to start supporting a football team, but my family are not really football fans (my dad technically supports Arsenal but never watches any of their matches).
I live in south east England, so I would like to support a club from around there but mainly I would like to support one that plays good, honest football and has nice players.
Sorry for rambling so much, but I would love to hear if anyone has any suggestions of who I should support, or how to pick a team to support.

maybe find the nearest league team to whee you live and try and go to the games

if its league one or two its prob cheaper to go

maybe try crawley town or gillingham
@BadBComeToTheNiz can you help this new football fan lol
Support Man City

I can't think of one football club like that - football has been destroyed by money.
(edited 2 years ago)

Some of the advice here is good, but i'd suggest supporting Manchester United
Don't suppport Arsenal if u can't cope with disappointment
I support my local team. KTID.

Supporting and having a season ticket for a local team means I can go to all the home games and also get on the supporter buses for away games cheaply.

We don't win regularly, we just got relegated in the SPLF :frown:, and we are not a big team so (season tickets are much cheaper!) it isn't as euphoric as the Euros, but when we do win there is nothing like it :dancing:
Original post by the_pharaoh
Support Man City

only support man city if your plastic fan lol:biggrin:
Original post by BadBComeToTheNiz
Some of the advice here is good, but i'd suggest supporting Manchester United
Don't suppport Arsenal if u can't cope with disappointment

man utd they were good once:biggrin:
Original post by Wise Goldie

yep, i agree 100%

we're still better than southampton 😏
(edited 2 years ago)

man utd they were good once:biggrin:

Exactly that's why she should support them they need fans
yep, i agree 100%

your going down next season niz

also how you been did you enjoy the euros:smile:
Original post by the_pharaoh
Exactly that's why she should support them they need fans

thats true lol:biggrin:
Hmm South East - so many good trams.

I'd suggest supporting the biggest local team e.g. if you live in Portsmouth why not support Brighton.
yep, i agree 100%

shall we gang up on pharoah next season lol
shall we gang up on pharoah next season lol

of courseeee, u don't even need to ask
of courseeee, u don't even need to ask

ok we are team gniz:biggrin:
i'm a girl who has ever really been interested in football either, but ever since the Euros, i've actually really liked it. - the whole vibe when the fans are happy and the game etc.

i've just decided to support manchester city as i love Phil Foden and Raheem Sterling
:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest