The Student Room Group

Would I be able to get into a Russel group Uni with a BTEC and 2 A-level

Would I still be in with a chance of getting into a Russel group Uni when I have 2 A-levels, 1 BTEC and an EPQ?? Or would they just give the space to someone else with 3 A-levels
Original post by WB123
Would I still be in with a chance of getting into a Russel group Uni when I have 2 A-levels, 1 BTEC and an EPQ?? Or would they just give the space to someone else with 3 A-levels

That depends on the subjects taken, the grades required and achieved, and the universities and courses involved.
Original post by WB123
Would I still be in with a chance of getting into a Russel group Uni when I have 2 A-levels, 1 BTEC and an EPQ?? Or would they just give the space to someone else with 3 A-levels or engineering course

Nearly all Russell Group universities accept Btecs in the same way as A levels. I think maybe Cambridge doesnt and maybe Imperial or LSE. The key issue is that the BTEC has to be in a reevant subject to the course. If in a non academic subject it might not be accepted. Another issue will be that for some science or engineering courses they often require a specific A level such as Maths as well. You would probably require a distinction or distinction* in your btec as a merit classes as an equivalent of a C at A level. There is no BTEC grade equivalent to the grade B in A level.
Depends which uni and which course. The "Russell Group" is a pretty broad range of unis and many are not that selective for many of their courses. Note that in general the Russell Group is ostensibly a graduate research consortium (in reality a political lobbying group) and therefore membership does not reflect any element of undergraduate teaching whatsoever except sometimes range of optional modules available.

Also there are plenty of unis which are pretty heavily recruited from by engineering firms that are not RG unis (e.g. Strathclyde, Heriot-Watt, Loughborough). For engineering in general conventional league table methodologies and things like RG membership don't generally give accurate pictures of which unis have strong departments in that field and which are actually valued by employers in that sector.

I would suggest then that you need to go back and start again by focusing on different things in uni choice, which may make the original question a moot point anyway. As above though in general outside of Oxbridge and Imperial (and maybe UCL) they will probably consider applicants with a BTEC and two A-levels if those A-levels are physics and maths (in principle even Cambridge etc should consider students in that situation, although you would probably be less competitive).
It'll be course dependant, but yes, at my RG uni we do accept BTEC/AL combinations for the majority of our courses.
Original post by WB123

Cambridge for engineering courses accept 2 a levels with the respective engineering extended certificate, exception being, I think, A*AD*. Look at the requirements of the university you would like to go to.
Hi everyone, Just for more clarity
The BTEC I’m thinking about doing is Sport
My other 2 A-levels are Business and Geography
I wanna study Business at Uni, somewhere like Leeds hopefully
Original post by WB123

There is no blanket answer, you will need to check with anywhere that you are considering if they don't list their BTEC+AL requirements on their website. But in general, so long as you are taking the equivalent of 3 AL's and meet any specific subject requirements, (e.g. GCSE Eng and Maths), you're very likely to be considered exactly the same as an AL candidate.

For reference:
(Pearson BTEC Level 3)

National Certificate (graded P, M, D, D*) = 0.5 x A level

National Extended Certificate (graded P, M, D, D*) = 1.0 x A level

National Foundation Diploma (graded P, M, D, D*) = 1.5 x A levels

National Diploma (graded from PP to D*D*) = 2.0 x A levels

National Extended Diploma (graded from PPP to D*D*D*) = 3.0 x A levels

(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by WB123

The only weakness I can see is that Business and Sport are considered weaker subjects by some universities. Email or telephone some universities to check. I suspect you will be OK buth check to make sure. Some RG universities have a list of subjects and they expect 2 of those to be taken. Here is Leeds policy on BTEC. Sheffield accepts Business as a preferred subject whilst LSE doesnt.

BTEC Nationals
We accept BTEC Extended Diplomas, BTEC Extended Certificates, Foundation Diplomas and Diplomas.

Some courses may also ask you for specific levels of achievement in a particular unit or units as well as the overall requirement. You may also need other acceptable Level 3 qualifications alongside the BTEC. You should contact the admissions team for your course before you apply to check your qualifications will be considered.

We will also consider the size and subject of your BTEC and any other Level 3 qualifications when we advise on your entry requirements. Please contact the relevant admissions team to find out more. You can find their contact details on Coursefinder.

Some of our schools may take into consideration whether the BTEC is on the QCF (Qualifications and Credit Framework) or RQF (Regulated Qualifications Framework) when setting entry requirements. You should tell us on your application form which framework your qualification sits in. If you are not sure you should ask your current school or college. Further information can also be found on the Pearson website.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by swanseajack1
The only weakness I can see is that Business and Sport are considered weaker subjects by some universities. Email or telephone some universities to check. I suspect you will be OK buth check to make sure. Some RG universities have a list of subjects and they expect 2 of those to be taken. Here is Leeds policy on BTEC. Sheffield accepts Business as a preferred subject whilst LSE doesnt.

BTEC Nationals
We accept BTEC Extended Diplomas, BTEC Extended Certificates, Foundation Diplomas and Diplomas.

Some courses may also ask you for specific levels of achievement in a particular unit or units as well as the overall requirement. You may also need other acceptable Level 3 qualifications alongside the BTEC. You should contact the admissions team for your course before you apply to check your qualifications will be considered.

We will also consider the size and subject of your BTEC and any other Level 3 qualifications when we advise on your entry requirements. Please contact the relevant admissions team to find out more. You can find their contact details on Coursefinder.

Some of our schools may take into consideration whether the BTEC is on the QCF (Qualifications and Credit Framework) or RQF (Regulated Qualifications Framework) when setting entry requirements. You should tell us on your application form which framework your qualification sits in. If you are not sure you should ask your current school or college. Further information can also be found on the Pearson website.

^^

he's correct, look at the requirements

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending