The Student Room Group

Is there any point in getting a second vaccine shot if you've already had Covid?

So I was diagnosed with a confirmed case of Covid yesterday, and today I received a text message from my GP saying I can now book my second Pfizer jab :rolleyes:

Is there even any point?

Scroll to see replies

No
Original post by Max_1111111
No

What part of the CDC's guidance do you disagree with?
it's clear that natural immunity is far better than vaccine immunity

Source?

If that's the case, why are the NHS advising staff to be vaccinated regardless of whether they have tested positive for COVID?

Why would I care about the CDC's guidance, I'm not American and so doesn't apply to me.

Can't lie, this made me laugh so much I just wanted to preserve it.
surely you would want to cover every base - I know several people who have had covid twice so natural immunity didn't do much for them.
Royal College of Nursing > COVID-19 and vaccination FAQs

"Do people who have already had COVID-19 get vaccinated?
Yes, they should get vaccinated.

There is no evidence of any safety concerns from vaccinating individuals with a past history of COVID-19 infection, or with detectable COVID-19 antibody so people who have had COVID-19 disease (whether confirmed or suspected) can still receive COVID-19 vaccine.

It is not known how long antibodies made in response to natural infection persist. If individuals do have antibodies following natural infection, receiving COVID-19 vaccine would be expected to boost any pre-existing antibodies."

NHS > Book or manage your coronavirus (COVID-19) vaccination

"If you've had a positive COVID-19 test, you should wait 4 weeks from the date you had the test before you book an appointment."
Original post by Admit-One
Source?

If that's the case, why are the NHS advising staff to be vaccinated regardless of whether they have tested positive for COVID?

Can't lie, this made me laugh so much I just wanted to preserve it.

Believe it or not, you are not the centre of the universe. I prefer to trust medical professionals in my own country, and seeing as how America has gotten a lot of things so badly wrong recently why do you expect everyone to treat the CDC as the global authority. Sorry it doesn't work like that outside of the US.

I just gave my opinion to the guy based upon the evidence from medical doctors I've heard in my own country. Obviously it's his/her personal choice though whether they think having a top up vaccine is worthwhile. It probably wouldn't do any harm, but highly unlikely it would be necessary.
Reply 8
I just gave my opinion to the guy based upon the evidence from medical doctors I've heard in my own country.

Care to share that evidence, then?
(edited 2 years ago)
NHS doctors. Try reading.
(edited 2 years ago)
It's doctors I've heard and spoken with. So I can't share any evidence as such.
It's also common sense that the bodies immunity after exposure to an actual virus is better than a synthetic form.

Translation; "I've made it up, can't back it up, so I'll just say stuff"

And no, that's not common sense at all. The only sense that makes is non.
Why be so hostile. You must lead a sad life to doubt people so much. My wife works in the NHS and I know doctors, believe it or not, not everyone lives in a basement.
Anecdotal doctors :tongue:
Why be so hostile. You must lead a sad life to doubt people so much. My wife works in the NHS and I know doctors, believe it or not, not everyone lives in a basement.

Because you're talking out of your bottom.

NHS-issued guidance has been posted in this thread, saying the exact opposite to your supposed knowledge, yet you persist with the belief that you know better... Why? Why's it so important to be the centre of attention?

You're the one who got fixated on the CDC reference and stopped reading anything else.
NHS doctors. Try reading.

The NHS doctors I have spoken to have said you should still get vaccinated even if you have had Covid. Several people above have provided UK sources above that confirm this is the advice in the UK.
Original post by black tea
The NHS doctors I have spoken to have said you should still get vaccinated even if you have had Covid. Several people above have provided UK sources above that confirm this is the advice in the UK.

NHS guidance is always erring on the side of caution and as Covid is such a new virus studies have not been carried out on long term immunity yet, which is why they recommend getting the jab anyway to be safe. Realistically the OP has much better immunity than a vaccine can give him already, any good doctor will tell him the same.

I never told him not to get the vaccine, if he wants to it won't do any harm, but there is not much point which is why he/she was asking.
Original post by DiddyDec
I look forward to you getting banned in the morning :h:

No need to wait that long :smile:

Unfortunately the posts will remain until then mod queue CS come online :banned:
Original post by CoolCavy
No need to wait that long :smile:

Unfortunately the posts will remain until then mod queue CS come online :banned:

:adore:
Original post by Max22222
Why are young students such as yourselves .....

Interesting - and wrong - assumption. Why do you have such a desire to continue to make a fool out of yourself...?
Reply 19
There are many examples of people having covid twice, and that includes people I know personally. It was actually worse for one of my friends (a young person in their early 20s) the second time around. Having covid does not stop you from getting it again and you should still get the vaccine.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest