The Student Room Group

Choosing Uni for Law- help!

Hi everyone!
I'm currently starting my UCAS application and I would kind of just like some opinions on the unis I am considering applying to (for a law degree)
The options I am strongly considering are (in no order of preference): Bristol, Durham, Nottingham and Glasgow. And then some others I'm looking at as well are: York, Leeds, Liverpool and Exeter. Are there any others I should be strongly considering (perhaps non- Russell Group)? And in general (I know it all depends on personal preference and it's hard to say) which of these options do you think are better? For reference, the A Levels I am doing are French, Psychology and English Lit. and I am predicted A*A*A. (I also did an EPQ but I won't find out the grade until August)
Thanks for the help!

Scroll to see replies

You've only picked good ones, so I don't think it will really make a difference. Just go with how you feel after visiting them.
Reply 2
Original post by Trinculo
You've only picked good ones, so I don't think it will really make a difference. Just go with how you feel after visiting them.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking, it's just the issue at the minute is that none of them (other than Nottingham) are open for visits
Original post by xtilly_kpx
Yeah that's what I'm thinking, it's just the issue at the minute is that none of them (other than Nottingham) are open for visits

Just visit the city
Reply 4
Original post by daveymcloughlin
Just visit the city

yeah I’m planning to when it’s feasible, probably over the summer as I’m not allowed to take time off school for it
yeah I’m planning to when it’s feasible, probably over the summer as I’m not allowed to take time off school for it

Clearly, you are unlikely to be able to visit them all.

It goes without saying that you should study the course content and structure in each of your proposed choices but, in addition, there are vast differences in the locations you have chosen and the nature of each institution. Bear in mind that, in these extraordinary times, you might not want to wander too far from home or spend three years in a part of the country that is totally unfamiliar to you.

You could start be asking yourself whether you wanted to be in a large city environment (Bristol, Leeds, Liverpool, Glasgow) or a campus university on the outskirts of a smaller city (Exeter, Nottingham, Warwick, York). Durham, of course, is unique. Its colleges and other buildings dominate the heart of a very small city of less than 50,000, which hosts a student population of around 20,000. The collegiate experience is its defining characteristic and you would need to be prepared for that. With regard to reputation, all your choices are highly regarded but, for Law, Durham might be seen to have the edge.

So look at the courses first, then start thinking about where you would be likely to feel happy. After all, living in Exeter and living in Glasgow are two very different prospects!
Reply 6
Original post by Supermature
Clearly, you are unlikely to be able to visit them all.

It goes without saying that you should study the course content and structure in each of your proposed choices but, in addition, there are vast differences in the locations you have chosen and the nature of each institution. Bear in mind that, in these extraordinary times, you might not want to wander too far from home or spend three years in a part of the country that is totally unfamiliar to you.

You could start be asking yourself whether you wanted to be in a large city environment (Bristol, Leeds, Liverpool, Glasgow) or a campus university on the outskirts of a smaller city (Exeter, Nottingham, Warwick, York). Durham, of course, is unique. Its colleges and other buildings dominate the heart of a very small city of less than 50,000, which hosts a student population of around 20,000. The collegiate experience is its defining characteristic and you would need to be prepared for that. With regard to reputation, all your choices are highly regarded but, for Law, Durham might be seen to have the edge.

So look at the courses first, then start thinking about where you would be likely to feel happy. After all, living in Exeter and living in Glasgow are two very different prospects!

Thank you so much, this is really helpful!

Yes I was thinking that firstly due to Covid and secondly due to how spread out across the country a lot of the unis are, it won’t exactly be practical to visit them all in only a couple of weeks, which is the main reason I’m gathering others opinions on here! So in terms of where I want to live, I’m from london so I’m used to the “big city” environment, so I wouldn’t mind moving to another big city or even a slightly smaller town, however I don’t particularly want to be extremely remote. But yes also I need to compare the courses as currently I’m also considering doing a joint honours degree (side note: are these particularly beneficial or not really?) so I am in need of doing some more research.

Just wondering though, I really want to move away from london for uni, however, after my degree I would like to come back and work here, so could going to any of these unis possibly hinder my prospects at getting a job in a magic circle or a big london law firm?

...in terms of where I want to live, I’m from london so I’m used to the “big city” environment, so I wouldn’t mind moving to another big city or even a slightly smaller town, however I don’t particularly want to be extremely remote. But yes also I need to compare the courses as currently I’m also considering doing a joint honours degree (side note: are these particularly beneficial or not really?) so I am in need of doing some more research.

Just wondering though, I really want to move away from london for uni, however, after my degree I would like to come back and work here, so could going to any of these unis possibly hinder my prospects at getting a job in a magic circle or a big london law firm?

Bearing all these points in mind, you might like to start by looking at Bristol. It's highly regarded for Law, you wouldn't need to venture too far from home and you would have the familiarity of a city environment. The straight Law degree (LLB Law, M100) asks for A*AA. There are also joint honours in Law with French, German or Spanish. Durham, for all its charms, might feel just a little remote. If you can cope with moving north, Leeds is a good insurance bet and it's only 2 to 3 hours via a frequent train service from King's Cross.

As regards joint honours degrees generally, you would be fine with one of these going forward as the new Solicitors' Qualifying Exam (SQE) can be taken by graduates in any discipline, without a conversion course as such. That said, a straight Law degree would leave you better prepared and it is possible that some Law firms might prefer candidates to have one.

https://www.lawcareers.net/Solicitors/the-solicitors-qualifying-examination

You are obviously giving this a great deal of thought and exploring all your options. At the end of the day, any of the universities you are looking at would stand you in good stead. With Glasgow, however, you would need to be sure you were studying English Law (their LLB Common Law) rather than Scottish.
Reply 8
Original post by Supermature
Bearing all these points in mind, you might like to start by looking at Bristol. It's highly regarded for Law, you wouldn't need to venture too far from home and you would have the familiarity of a city environment. The straight Law degree (LLB Law, M100) asks for A*AA. There are also joint honours in Law with French, German or Spanish. Durham, for all its charms, might feel just a little remote. If you can cope with moving north, Leeds is a good insurance bet and it's only 2 to 3 hours via a frequent train service from King's Cross.

As regards joint honours degrees generally, you would be fine with one of these going forward as the new Solicitors' Qualifying Exam (SQE) can be taken by graduates in any discipline, without a conversion course as such. That said, a straight Law degree would leave you better prepared and it is possible that some Law firms might prefer candidates to have one.

https://www.lawcareers.net/Solicitors/the-solicitors-qualifying-examination

You are obviously giving this a great deal of thought and exploring all your options. At the end of the day, any of the universities you are looking at would stand you in good stead. With Glasgow, however, you would need to be sure you were studying English Law (their LLB Common Law) rather than Scottish.

Ahhh ok thank you!

Yes personally I think my current top two are Bristol and Durham as I’ve heard the best things about them. I just can’t choose as like you said Bristol is probably a more familiar environment to me and I’d probably find Durham a little remote, so I’m going to try and prioritise visiting those two as i suppose I really just need to visit the areas to know for sure. Also thanks for the advice about Leeds, I’m happy to move away, in fact it’s the main reason I’m not considering any of the london unis as I would prefer to move further away anyway, so I’m thinking both Leeds and Nottingham could be good backup options.

Yeah I’ll bear that in mind about Glasgow as I’ve looked at both courses, however, my main concern is that it is very far away from london obviously and this may hinder my ability to go to interviews and firm open days.

But anyway, thank you so much for your help all your advice is so useful!
Reply 9
I'm a current law student at york. If you have any questions feel free to ask:smile:
Hi everyone!
I'm currently starting my UCAS application and I would kind of just like some opinions on the unis I am considering applying to (for a law degree)
The options I am strongly considering are (in no order of preference): Bristol, Durham, Nottingham and Glasgow. And then some others I'm looking at as well are: York, Leeds, Liverpool and Exeter. Are there any others I should be strongly considering (perhaps non- Russell Group)? And in general (I know it all depends on personal preference and it's hard to say) which of these options do you think are better? For reference, the A Levels I am doing are French, Psychology and English Lit. and I am predicted A*A*A. (I also did an EPQ but I won't find out the grade until August)
Thanks for the help!

I think with your predictions you should be aiming for all top unis. Liverpool is arguably less prestigious than the others and has certainly been more flexible on grades than the others in the past. I personally wouldn't think there is any advantage to Glasgow to offset the distance so I would focus on Bristol, Durham, Nottingham, York, Leeds and Exeter.

What is not clear is whether you would enjoy the small city vibe and whether you prefer campus or city unis. I would definitely make it a priority to visit the smallest city (Durham) as some people say they find Durham too small - it'a also a long way from London. Also look into the problem based learning approach at York which is different to other unis, and see if it appeals or not.

https://www.york.ac.uk/law/undergraduate/pbl/
Original post by harrysbar
I think with your predictions you should be aiming for all top unis. Liverpool is arguably less prestigious than the others and has certainly been more flexible on grades than the others in the past. I personally wouldn't think there is any advantage to Glasgow to offset the distance so I would focus on Bristol, Durham, Nottingham, York, Leeds and Exeter.

What is not clear is whether you would enjoy the small city vibe and whether you prefer campus or city unis. I would definitely make it a priority to visit the smallest city (Durham) as some people say they find Durham too small - it'a also a long way from London. Also look into the problem based learning approach at York which is different to other unis, and see if it appeals or not.

https://www.york.ac.uk/law/undergraduate/pbl/

Ok, thank you!
Yes the pbl style at York is the main reason I have some doubts as I’m just not sure how well it would suit me, so I think I’m going to look into that a bit more.

And yes, personally I prefer the idea of a campus uni to a city uni (another reason I’m not considering the London unis) but I’m sort of flexible in this i suppose if I really liked the uni as a whole I’d still consider it if it was a city uni.

Oh also, random side note, does anyone know if these unis would lower offers/be impressed by an EPQ?
Original post by Tinders
I'm a current law student at york. If you have any questions feel free to ask:smile:

Hi, thank you!
Well as I mentioned in another post I was wondering what you think of the PBL style york uses?
Ok, thank you!
Yes the pbl style at York is the main reason I have some doubts as I’m just not sure how well it would suit me, so I think I’m going to look into that a bit more.

And yes, personally I prefer the idea of a campus uni to a city uni (another reason I’m not considering the London unis) but I’m sort of flexible in this i suppose if I really liked the uni as a whole I’d still consider it if it was a city uni.

Oh also, random side note, does anyone know if these unis would lower offers/be impressed by an EPQ?

The more competitive Unis tend to be less impressed with EPQs than less competitive Unis in that it doesn’t affect the grades they will require. An A*AA uni won’t make a lower offer because someone has an EPQ. It may help in terms of something to write about on your personal statement (though not all Unis care about those, Bristol don’t, for example).
The main thing Unis look for with regard to law degrees are predicted grades and a good performance in the LNAT for those Unis that use it like Bristol, Durham and Nottingham
Hi everyone!
Thanks for the help!

Hi xtilly_kpx,
Amazing to know you're studying Law! I left Hull University this May with a high 1st class LLB, legal experience of interviewing and advising real clients and not a bad word to say about my experience! (Whilst I do currently have my ambassador hat on, I will hype up my lecturers to anyone that asks and genuinely mean it). Definitely worth a consideration for law in my opinion, even if it is as an insurance choice considering your amazing grade predictions. Other than that, I would also always recommend asking about the module options and work experience opportunities of each University, especially if you are interested in a particular type of law, as not all universities will teach some more obscure areas of law (e.g. tax, medical etc).
Hope this helps!
Lizzy, Student ambassador
Hi, thank you!
Well as I mentioned in another post I was wondering what you think of the PBL style york uses?

Personally, I really like it. I enjoy breaking down problems with other people, in a student law firm, picking out key legal issues and coming up with an answer to the problem. It's been said that it's similar to what solicitors do on a daily basis, and you do learn highly practical skills.

There is more to York than PBL though. It completely upends the way law is taught. Instead of having separate modules for tort law, contract law, criminal law etc, that make a degree a QLD, it blends it all into 4 separate modules. Foundations in Law 1,2,3 and 4. 1 and 2 are taught in 1st year, 3 and 4 in 2nd. This leaves room to learn other things such as legal skills and legal concepts among other things.

I should warn you though that this course is not for everyone. There is a heavy focus on reflection. There is an entire module dedicated to it and other modules are also assessed through reflection. These can be extremely tedious at times and if you are not naturally reflective, you will find it extremely difficult. Furthermore, PBL is not for everyone. Whilst I haven't experienced this myself, I've heard of horror stories of firm members absolutely hating each other which can tank the entire group. Although the university is really good at sorting out situations like this.
Hi everyone!
Thanks for the help!

I wouldnt choose Glasgow over English universities in your circumstances.

Firstly you need to visit Durham to ensure it is right for you. It is a very small town with colleges scattered around it. It might be for you or it wont.

Exeter again is a small city but a stunning campus university. a 2 hour train ride from London and a 15 minute walk to the campus,

Bristol is also a 2 hour journey. It is very different to Exeter. More of a city university than a campus university and most of the accommodation is off campus. Quite a big city.

Leeds is a very big city fairly easy to get to from London . The biggest city you are looking at in London.

Nottingham is an out of town campus university with good access to London.
Original post by swanseajack1
I wouldnt choose Glasgow over English universities in your circumstances.

Firstly you need to visit Durham to ensure it is right for you. It is a very small town with colleges scattered around it. It might be for you or it wont.

Exeter again is a small city but a stunning campus university. a 2 hour train ride from London and a 15 minute walk to the campus,

Bristol is also a 2 hour journey. It is very different to Exeter. More of a city university than a campus university and most of the accommodation is off campus. Quite a big city.

Leeds is a very big city fairly easy to get to from London . The biggest city you are looking at in London.

Nottingham is an out of town campus university with good access to London.

It should be very easy to visit Bristol and Exeter on consecutive days. They are only an hour apart by train and there is a Premier Inn in Exeter outside the station. Similarly Durham, York and Leeds are quite close together. There is a Travelodge very close to Durham station. Your school shouldn't be preventing you from going on open days, The reverse should be the case. They should want you to be happy wherever you go after leaving their school and seeing universities is part of that experience. What happens if you are invited to interviews are they going to tell you that you cant go. It seems your school is one of those more interested in their results making them look good than their students futures,
Original post by swanseajack1
It should be very easy to visit Bristol and Exeter on consecutive days. They are only an hour apart by train and there is a Premier Inn in Exeter outside the station. Similarly Durham, York and Leeds are quite close together. There is a Travelodge very close to Durham station. Your school shouldn't be preventing you from going on open days, The reverse should be the case. They should want you to be happy wherever you go after leaving their school and seeing universities is part of that experience. What happens if you are invited to interviews are they going to tell you that you cant go. It seems your school is one of those more interested in their results making them look good than their students futures,

This is a highly accurate description of my school! You’re only allowed to miss 1 day in total for uni open days, and yes they only care about getting the best results regardless of the pressure it puts on students.

Anyway I’m planning to visit over my holidays as i think it’ll just be easier
Original post by Tinders
Personally, I really like it. I enjoy breaking down problems with other people, in a student law firm, picking out key legal issues and coming up with an answer to the problem. It's been said that it's similar to what solicitors do on a daily basis, and you do learn highly practical skills.

There is more to York than PBL though. It completely upends the way law is taught. Instead of having separate modules for tort law, contract law, criminal law etc, that make a degree a QLD, it blends it all into 4 separate modules. Foundations in Law 1,2,3 and 4. 1 and 2 are taught in 1st year, 3 and 4 in 2nd. This leaves room to learn other things such as legal skills and legal concepts among other things.

I should warn you though that this course is not for everyone. There is a heavy focus on reflection. There is an entire module dedicated to it and other modules are also assessed through reflection. These can be extremely tedious at times and if you are not naturally reflective, you will find it extremely difficult. Furthermore, PBL is not for everyone. Whilst I haven't experienced this myself, I've heard of horror stories of firm members absolutely hating each other which can tank the entire group. Although the university is really good at sorting out situations like this.

Ahhh ok thank you so much! Yes what mainly put me off was the idea of working with others in case none of us get along. But I think I’ll look into it more anyway as it does sound like an interesting way of learning so thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending