The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

How competitive is imperial earth science dept

Like with geophysics I see that it has a ratio of 4:1 but it also have a 96% offer rate which is what makes me confused, they say that their offer last year were 80% AAA, so does that mean a lot of ppl failed to achieve that or they don’t give out that much offer.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The ratio is applicants to enrolled on the programme. The ratio has nothing to do with offers given and is misleading. They probably do give 96% offers max The ratio means either many students fail to reach the required grades, or many students decline the offer. Many people decline the offer to go to Oxford or Cambridge, international unis or unis outside of London (these unis have bad student satisfaction and imperial has bad boy-girl ratios/social life, so some people decline the offer and do not enroll).
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by Bionet
The ratio is applicants to enrolled on the programme. The ratio has nothing to do with offers given and is misleading. They probably do give 96% offers max The ratio means either many students fail to reach the required grades, or many students decline the offer. Many people decline the offer to go to Oxford or Cambridge, international unis or unis outside of London (these unis have bad student satisfaction and imperial has bad boy-girl ratios/social life, so some people decline the offer and do not enroll).

So the offer rate is indeed that high then?
Original post by Bionet

That’s very odd for a uni like imperial to have such a high offer rate
Reply 4
Original post by LeoHsieh20040725
So the offer rate is indeed that high then?

Maybe not at 96% but still probably around 70-80%. That’s true for all degrees! Because not many people achieve the grades needed. It’s still a fantastic uni it’s just big for a STEM only uni, so they have lots of seats.
That’s very odd for a uni like imperial to have such a high offer rate

It's not that odd, Earth Sciences isn't a mainstream subject so it isn't as oversubscribed as other subjects. You'll probably find a similar thing for other niche sciences like Materials Science. They still have amongst the highest entry requirements for Earth Sciences in the UK so it's still not exactly easy to get in.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Bionet
Maybe not at 96% but still probably around 70-80%. That’s true for all degrees! Because not many people achieve the grades needed. It’s still a fantastic uni it’s just big for a STEM only uni, so they have lots of seats.

I see, I was so nervous I thought it’s saying that only 25% of ppl get an offer
Original post by Plagioclase
It's not that odd, Earth Sciences isn't a mainstream subject so it isn't as oversubscribed as other subjects. You'll probably find a similar thing for other niche sciences like Materials Science. They still have amongst the highest entry requirements for Earth Sciences in the UK so it's still not exactly easy to get in.

Wait so not a lot of ppl want to do earth science then, mmmm I see but imperial asks for AAA which is quite low that’s y I was a bit confused as the ratio shows that only 25% applicants got in so I thought as they rejected a lot of ppl
Original post by Bionet
imperial has bad boy-girl ratios/social life, so some people decline the offer and do not enroll).

Do you mind elaborating? I've heard the social life there is good?
As above I think the high offer ratio but relatively lower matriculation rate isn't that surprising; there is probably a lot of overlap between Imperial earth sciences applicants and Oxford earth sciences/Cambridge natural sciences applicants for example, so not all of those offers will translate into a student for Imperial as many who applied to Imperial and Oxford/Cambridge/other universities might choose to not accept the Imperial offer or make it their insurance offer. They may balance this by being less flexible with "near misses" on results day, although also as noted previously it's not the most popular subject so they may have more leeway in that regard too anyway.
Original post by artful_lounger
As above I think the high offer ratio but relatively lower matriculation rate isn't that surprising; there is probably a lot of overlap between Imperial earth sciences applicants and Oxford earth sciences/Cambridge natural sciences applicants for example, so not all of those offers will translate into a student for Imperial as many who applied to Imperial and Oxford/Cambridge/other universities might choose to not accept the Imperial offer or make it their insurance offer. They may balance this by being less flexible with "near misses" on results day, although also as noted previously it's not the most popular subject so they may have more leeway in that regard too anyway.

So like their requirement is AAA and if I got AAB would they be lenient?
So like their requirement is AAA and if I got AAB would they be lenient?

I doubt it but, who could say. Normally courses with high offer rates are inflexible on results day (e.g. Warwick maths) but there are a lot of variables and this year in particular is harder to say due to everything that's happened/is happening covid-wise.
I doubt it but, who could say. Normally courses with high offer rates are inflexible on results day (e.g. Warwick maths) but there are a lot of variables and this year in particular is harder to say due to everything that's happened/is happening covid-wise.

So would the offer rate be lower then if I apply for the 2022 course for geophysics in imperial
So would the offer rate be lower then if I apply for the 2022 course for geophysics in imperial

You're really approaching this the wrong way. What are you going to do if the offer rate is lower but you have the grades? Not bother applying? Just apply, if you have the predicted grades there is a good chance you'll be made an offer, and then you just need to achieve it.
You're really approaching this the wrong way. What are you going to do if the offer rate is lower but you have the grades? Not bother applying? Just apply, if you have the predicted grades there is a good chance you'll be made an offer, and then you just need to achieve it.

I am just really paranoid, that I’ve put a lot of work in and I am afraid that I don’t make it of getting an offer from imperial, which is why I am checking all the small details of everything.
I am just really paranoid, that I’ve put a lot of work in and I am afraid that I don’t make it of getting an offer from imperial, which is why I am checking all the small details of everything.

Which is not even remotely productive.
Reply 16

And that isn't improving your chances of getting an offer. The more you look up and research, the more stressed you're getting about it. It's been doing the exact opposite of reassure you. Because if you were reassured, you wouldn't be continuing to be making so many posts about it. Whether 2% or 100% of applicants get offers, either you get in or you don't.

You should take a break from looking up uni things and TSR.

If you really like Earth Sciences you should apply and give it your best go. Look on imperial virtual open day for talks from the department about what they look for.
Original post by Qxi.xli
Do you mind elaborating? I've heard the social life there is good?

Being a STEM university the male / female ratio is heavily skewed to males due to subjects like Engineering.

A lot of the courses the workload is high so people don’t go out so much.
Original post by Anonymous
Being a STEM university the male / female ratio is heavily skewed to males due to subjects like Engineering.

A lot of the courses the workload is high so people don’t go out so much.

But for STEM subjects, that's the case at any university right, not specifically Imperial

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending