The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Official Cambridge Postgraduate Applicants 2022 Thread

Welcome to everyone, and best of luck with your applications!

Prospective course:
Achieved (or expected) grade:
Nationality:
Current (or last) university:
Current (or last) course:

College preferences:
Other universities you’re applying to:

Disclaimer: Please note, unless stated otherwise, posters on this thread do not work for University of Cambridge's admissions department, therefore do not take our opinion as being 100% accurate. If you need certainty, contact University of Cambridge directly.

General

Spoiler

Colleges

Spoiler

Funding

Spoiler

(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sandtrooper
I thought I'd make this in advance. Welcome to everyone, and best of luck with your applications!

Prospective course:
Achieved (or expected) grade:
Nationality:
Current (or last) university:
Current (or last) course:

College preferences:
Other universities you’re applying to:

After you have received a decision, some applicants may be curious to know the following, but please don't worry if someone has heard back sooner than you; it does not necessarily mean you will be rejected.

Course:
Date applied (including references):
Interview date (if applicable):
Decision date and whether seen on the portal or received via e-mail:
Decision:
If unsuccessful, did you see your portal update to Degree Committee or GAO/PAO before receiving the outcome?
If successful, date the portal updated to Degree Committee (although please note, some applications skip this step or the portal is not updated to show this step):
If successful, date the portal updated to GAO/PAO:

Disclaimer: Please note, unless stated otherwise, posters on this thread do not work for University of Cambridge's admissions department, therefore do not take our opinion as being 100% accurate. If you need certainty, contact University of Cambridge directly.

Thanks for starting us off! I just wanted to follow the disclaimer by saying that I do work for Cambridge as the Director of Admissions at St Edmund's College so tag or PM me if you have any questions.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Prospective course: MASt Pure Mathematics
Achieved (or expected) grade: First (first year 90, second year 87)
Nationality: British
Current (or last) university: University of Warwick
Current (or last) course: BSc Mathematics
College preferences: Wolfson, Christs'
Other universities you’re applying to: None

Applied 12th Nov, PAO 9th Feb, Offer 24th Feb, (graduate with first) Acceptance at Wolfson 14th Mar
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by _gcx
Prospective course: MASt Pure Mathematics
Achieved (or expected) grade: First (first year 90.5, second year TBD)
Nationality: British
Current (or last) university: University of Warwick
Current (or last) course: MMath Mathematics, will switch to BSc if I get an offer
College preferences: TBC, Wolfson looks good. Idk about the second choice.
Other universities you’re applying to: Possibly Oxford depending on if I can get a third referee

All the best.
I'm just here because I'm stupid and for a single second want to feel smart...

Congratulations on being smart btw guys, keep it up!

Ok, I'll go now
Reply 5
Prospective course: MASt in pure mathematics
Achieved (or expected) grade: 80% in the second year (slightly more in pure maths)
Nationality: UK Resident
Current (or last) university: Queen's University Belfast
Current (or last) course: BSc Mathematics
College preferences: Pembroke, Peterhouse
Other universities you’re applying to: Oxford, Warwick and Imperial (Both Cambridge and Oxford seem to be very good options!)
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
Prospective course: PhD Geography/ Architecture/ Development Studies (depends on my research interest and the respective faculty member who agrees to supervise me)
Achieved (or expected) grade: BE (Civil Engineering)- First Class, MSc Water Resources Engineering- First Class, A avg
Nationality: Bangladeshi
Current (or last) university: Graduated MSc from Kyoto University, Japan. Got into Cambridge for MPhil MSAS 2021 cohort, but couldn't manage funding
Current (or last) course: MSc
College preferences: Was accepted into Queens'. I will probably go with Kings, Trinity or Newnham this year considering the funding opportunities
Other universities you’re applying to: Oxford, LSE, SOAS in the UK and a few more in the USA (east and west coast)

I am still not sure if I'll apply to Cambridge or UK this year. I plan to contact some professors and if they give me a strong positive vibe, I will probably go for it.
Prospective course: PhD in English
Achieved (or expected) grade: First
Nationality: Finnish
Current (or last) university: uni in home country, now onto a Scottish uni for my master's
Current (or last) course: English Philology
College preferences:
Other universities you’re applying to: Considering Oxford, UCL, Durham and some Scottish unis at the moment. Still wondering whether it might be smarter to get my MLitt results before applying./QUOTE]
(edited 2 years ago)
Hi guys,

I'm interested in applying for Phd in Engineering at Cambridge but I have a few quetisons which i hope someone could explain.

1. What is the application process like -Are there any interviews and entrance questions. Do you have to write a personal statement
2. I noticed that you need 2 references, do both have to be academic or can 1 be academic and the other one industrial
3. Where can you apply for scholarships or grants
4. Do people contact their supervisors before submitting an application and if so, how do you people do that under current circumstances.

Thanks,
Reply 9
Original post by hagi1
Hi guys,

I'm interested in applying for Phd in Engineering at Cambridge but I have a few quetisons which i hope someone could explain.

1. What is the application process like -Are there any interviews and entrance questions. Do you have to write a personal statement
2. I noticed that you need 2 references, do both have to be academic or can 1 be academic and the other one industrial
3. Where can you apply for scholarships or grants
4. Do people contact their supervisors before submitting an application and if so, how do you people do that under current circumstances.

Thanks,

1. Depends on the department. Some interview shortlisted candidates, some don't.
2. If you've been out of school for a long time, you can have one (or both) reference from your work place. But please go through the admission website, they have the requirements and specifications.
3. Cambridge trust gives out some fundings. You can also apply for external scholarships (gates, commonwealth etc)
4. Usually for PhD, yes. Email them maybe?
Original post by Sheekoo
1. Depends on the department. Some interview shortlisted candidates, some don't.
2. If you've been out of school for a long time, you can have one (or both) reference from your work place. But please go through the admission website, they have the requirements and specifications.
3. Cambridge trust gives out some fundings. You can also apply for external scholarships (gates, commonwealth etc)
4. Usually for PhD, yes. Email them maybe?

Ah thanks for this!!! Thats really helpful. Do you know where you can find a list of potential supervisors ans their research interests at all? I cant seem to find any from thier websites
Original post by hagi1
Ah thanks for this!!! Thats really helpful. Do you know where you can find a list of potential supervisors ans their research interests at all? I cant seem to find any from thier websites

All academics in the department are potential supervisors, anyone who is a lecturer, senior lecturer, Reader or Professor. They will come back and tell you if they aren’t taking people on next year.
Original post by threeportdrift
All academics in the department are potential supervisors, anyone who is a lecturer, senior lecturer, Reader or Professor. They will come back and tell you if they aren’t taking people on next year.

Ah thank you, can you send me a link to a list of the professors, i cant seem to find any
Original post by hagi1
Ah thank you, can you send me a link to a list of the professors, i cant seem to find any

Seriously?
I have a 40 on my transcript, but still average 74% from Imperial (Mathematics). How will this 40 affect my application?

Will I automatically be dismissed because of it, or will it be overlooked since it is only 1 module out of 20?

Thanks
Original post by threeportdrift
Seriously?

Yeah, i think im missing something obvious but when i go to their engineering division i canr seem to find the list of lectuerers for that particular area. Its probably something obvious but i cant find it
Original post by arbitrary_name
I have a 40 on my transcript, but still average 74% from Imperial (Mathematics). How will this 40 affect my application?

Will I automatically be dismissed because of it, or will it be overlooked since it is only 1 module out of 20?

Thanks

If you graduate with a First from Imperial, I don't think Cambridge would really care about a poor grade unless it is specific to your postgrad course.
Original post by Wired_1800
If you graduate with a First from Imperial, I don't think Cambridge would really care about a poor grade unless it is specific to your postgrad course.

Okay, thank you. Should I just ignore it in my document to support application, or should I comment on it?
Reply 18
Original post by arbitrary_name
Okay, thank you. Should I just ignore it in my document to support application, or should I comment on it?

I am a student at a Russell Group uni (not as famous as Imperial) studying mathematics and applying to the MASt in pure mathematics and my average is a high first (round to 80) but I also got 40ish in one module in my first year in stats (that I don't care about because I don't like stats and won't be studying stats in Cam if I got a place there) so I think if the case is similar, that you don't wanna study something related to that module in Cambridge, they won't really care. Even if it is something you wanna study, the fact that your average is still a first means that it more of a mistake than anything (i mean nothing for them to judge you :smile:)

I have chatted about this with my university lecturer who is an Oxford graduate and also interviews students for entry into our PhD program etc, and he said that you should never try to explain your mistakes, especially if it is a minor one. They do not have much time to read into one application and they would hopefully not even care about that 40 unless you specifically mention it to them.
Reply 19
Prospective course: MPhil in Sociology
Achieved (or expected) grade: 3.70/4.0 GPA in both Bachelor's, Merit in Master's
Nationality: Indonesian
Current (or last) university: Universitas Gadjah Mada, Indonesia (Bachelor of Economics), École supérieure de commerce et management, France (Bachelor of Arts), London School of Economics, UK (MSc Media and Communications)
Current (or last) course: MSc Media and Communications at LSE
College preferences: Unknown
Other universities you’re applying to: Unknown yet

Anyone know my chances at Cambridge if I graduated with only Merit for my Master's at LSE? I did gain an 80% in one of the relevant courses. Overall score of my transcript is 68. Thanks!
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending