The Student Room Group

BRTC - any questions?

I’ve just finished at BRTC at RAF Halton. If anyone has any questions, ask away!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What Covid restrictions are there in place?
Before I arrived at Halton I took a covid test at the airfield. Then when I arrived I had to wear a mask and friends and family had to wait in the car park whilst I took all my things to the block.

The intake were separated into 4 blocks instead of 2 for the first 2 weeks or so just to make it easier to socially distance from each other. For those first two weeks we had to maintain a 2 metre distance from everyone, including the people in our rooms. So expect to be shouted at if you’re not maintaining the distance, especially outside the mess. Inside the mess there are markings on the tables showing where you’re allowed to sit. You’ll have to wear a mask queueing up for the mess and when you go in to get your food you’ll have to keep it on until you get to the table.

After the first 2 weeks we then moved blocks and came together so there was now only 2 blocks for the whole intake and we were put into cohorts. So the girls who were on the top floor were in a cohort, then middle floor was a separate cohort then same for bottom. Same for the other block as well. So this meant we could be all in each others space’s now as long as it was within our cohort. So even in the briefing room we weren’t allowed to mix with the other cohorts. It was like this the entire time. It’s hard to maintain this for the remaining 8 weeks but if you do break the rules and get caught expect a beasting. I know some people who got into deep trouble for breaking covid rules. So just don’t get caught i suppose🤷🏻*♀️

We couldn’t go swimming because the pool was closed which meant that on adventurous training we couldn’t go and do any of the water activities, which sucked but it is what it is. It might be open now but I’m not sure. The pub was closed when I was there so no drinking allowed and we weren’t allowed to come home for the entire 10 weeks either.

I think that’s about it really. It sucks but it needs to be done I suppose.

Original post by GMan455
What Covid restrictions are there in place?
Reply 3
Original post by Qwertyuiop993
Before I arrived at Halton I took a covid test at the airfield. Then when I arrived I had to wear a mask and friends and family had to wait in the car park whilst I took all my things to the block.

The intake were separated into 4 blocks instead of 2 for the first 2 weeks or so just to make it easier to socially distance from each other. For those first two weeks we had to maintain a 2 metre distance from everyone, including the people in our rooms. So expect to be shouted at if you’re not maintaining the distance, especially outside the mess. Inside the mess there are markings on the tables showing where you’re allowed to sit. You’ll have to wear a mask queueing up for the mess and when you go in to get your food you’ll have to keep it on until you get to the table.

After the first 2 weeks we then moved blocks and came together so there was now only 2 blocks for the whole intake and we were put into cohorts. So the girls who were on the top floor were in a cohort, then middle floor was a separate cohort then same for bottom. Same for the other block as well. So this meant we could be all in each others space’s now as long as it was within our cohort. So even in the briefing room we weren’t allowed to mix with the other cohorts. It was like this the entire time. It’s hard to maintain this for the remaining 8 weeks but if you do break the rules and get caught expect a beasting. I know some people who got into deep trouble for breaking covid rules. So just don’t get caught i suppose🤷🏻*♀️

We couldn’t go swimming because the pool was closed which meant that on adventurous training we couldn’t go and do any of the water activities, which sucked but it is what it is. It might be open now but I’m not sure. The pub was closed when I was there so no drinking allowed and we weren’t allowed to come home for the entire 10 weeks either.

I think that’s about it really. It sucks but it needs to be done I suppose.

Thanks

I'm looking at going in September but I'm a re joiner so I'm on the tarc course. Thankfully only there a week. Just wanted a Covid heads up.
Reply 4
I’m starting my basic training in September, so u have any good tips or anything to prepare for that they don’t tell you? Or anything u think will be useful for me to know?
Reply 5
I’ve just finished at BRTC at RAF Halton. If anyone has any questions, ask away!

Also what kind of fitness did you do there other than the bleep test and press ups n sit-ups u do on the initial arrival.Just want to make sure I’m properly prepared.
Original post by jdale999
I’m starting my basic training in September, so u have any good tips or anything to prepare for that they don’t tell you? Or anything u think will be useful for me to know?

Take more civilian clothes. I took the bare minimum and regretted it. You will get most weekends off and you can wear your own clothes in the evenings so take more than they suggest. If you take too much then you can always leave some in your suitcase.

You’ll have an exam about 3 weeks in which pretty much marks the end of mod 1. The exam will be on things like core value, rank structure, aircraft etc. So you could get a head start on the learning because these lessons can get very tedious very quickly.

Pay attention to what your instructors say. Listen to them and take it all in. It might seem like they’re mean and they’re always getting at you for something. But trust me when I say it’s all a part of the game. These instructors are not actually like that but they need to play the part to turn 100+ civilians into military personnel.

Enjoy it. It may seem like the worst time in the world but honestly when it’s over you’ll be longing to go back. Yeah most of the time you’re having a rubbish time but the people you meet on this journey are likely to be your friends for life. Cherish these moments with eachother. You’ll build bonds like no other because you’re all going through this terrible time together.
Also what kind of fitness did you do there other than the bleep test and press ups n sit-ups u do on the initial arrival.Just want to make sure I’m properly prepared.

So you’ll do a mixture of long distance and short distance runs. There was quite a lot of HIIT and circuits using body weight and equipment such as slam balls, barbells, rowing machines etc. You’ll also be going out into the field behind the gym in full PCS, with your webbing and helmet and here you’ll learn to leopard crawl, bear crawl etc (it’s not as easy as it looks), you’ll be running with 80kg dummies and full Jerry cans. This is basically preparing you for the phys you’re gonna be doing at CPT. You’ll do a stretcher run through the woods with an 80-90kg stretcher and it’s about a 6km run.

My advice is if you’re already at your required standard for the bleep test, sit ups and press ups then keep practicing and get better. It’s not easy but it’ll make your life easier if you’re fitter going in.
Reply 8
Sorry for so many incoming question, I’m really curious.

The stretcher run, does it have to be completed in a certain time?

Are you allowed to wear branded clothes?

What can you do at weekends and in your spare time?

Do you ever have the chance to come home in the 10 weeks?

How many people are in a room together ?

What do the days consist of and generally how long are they?
Sorry for so many incoming question, I’m really curious.

The stretcher run, does it have to be completed in a certain time?

Are you allowed to wear branded clothes?

What can you do at weekends and in your spare time?

Do you ever have the chance to come home in the 10 weeks?

How many people are in a room together ?

What do the days consist of and generally how long are they?

The stretcher run is not really a race against time. It has to be completed within the 1-2 hour PT session but the instructors are not really fussed on how fast you’re going as long as they can see you’re putting in max effort.

You can wear whatever clothes you like in your own time as long as it doesn’t have inappropriate pictures or words on it.

Your weekends and spare time is your own. Due to covid we weren’t allowed to leave camp at all but it might change when you get there. most of us watched movies in the briefing room or had a kick about outside (ask your instructors if you’re allowed to do this first because each intake has different rules on this). You can have a walk around the camp but other than that there’s not much else to do around there. You won’t be bored though because there’s always something you can be getting on with. Polishing s***s, ironing clothes & fresh bedding etc.

Like I said in the previous, I couldn’t leave in the 10 weeks I was there but that was only due to covid. I know that before covid the recruits could.

There’s on average about 10-12 per room.

Up at about 5:30/6 every day. Block jobs, room jobs, get ready then breakfast. Morning routine was like this pretty much the entire time. Sometimes we’d be up earlier 4/4:30. Depends on if we had inspections.
Mod 1 is the first 3 weeks. Mostly classroom lessons to prepare for the exam. Drill practice and lessons on ironing and prep for first inspections. The days were long and mostly finished by 7:30pm. But then had to wash, iron clothes and revision.
Mod 2 for the next 4 or so weeks. You’ll be having breakfast a little earlier. Usually waiting outside the armoury by 7:30 to be marched down to IFPT. It’s about a 10 minute walk/run with the rifles 5 days a week. You’ll learn weapons handling, cbrn, first aid, going down the range and preparing for CPT on week 7 I think it is. You’ll be finished a little earlier these days but you’ll have more to do in the evenings revision wise.
Mod 3 is the home strait. It goes very quickly. You’ll be on adventure training for a week. It’s very relaxed and fun. Then back to Halton, into your blues and you’ll be preparing for day 63 inspection. After the inspection it’s pretty much arms drill all day every day. The days are shorter again and it’s more chilled out. Enjoy it. It’s your last week.

Anything else you want to know feel free to ask :smile:
The stretcher run is not really a race against time. It has to be completed within the 1-2 hour PT session but the instructors are not really fussed on how fast you’re going as long as they can see you’re putting in max effort.

You can wear whatever clothes you like in your own time as long as it doesn’t have inappropriate pictures or words on it.

Your weekends and spare time is your own. Due to covid we weren’t allowed to leave camp at all but it might change when you get there. most of us watched movies in the briefing room or had a kick about outside (ask your instructors if you’re allowed to do this first because each intake has different rules on this). You can have a walk around the camp but other than that there’s not much else to do around there. You won’t be bored though because there’s always something you can be getting on with. Polishing s***s, ironing clothes & fresh bedding etc.

Like I said in the previous, I couldn’t leave in the 10 weeks I was there but that was only due to covid. I know that before covid the recruits could.

There’s on average about 10-12 per room.

Up at about 5:30/6 every day. Block jobs, room jobs, get ready then breakfast. Morning routine was like this pretty much the entire time. Sometimes we’d be up earlier 4/4:30. Depends on if we had inspections.
Mod 1 is the first 3 weeks. Mostly classroom lessons to prepare for the exam. Drill practice and lessons on ironing and prep for first inspections. The days were long and mostly finished by 7:30pm. But then had to wash, iron clothes and revision.
Mod 2 for the next 4 or so weeks. You’ll be having breakfast a little earlier. Usually waiting outside the armoury by 7:30 to be marched down to IFPT. It’s about a 10 minute walk/run with the rifles 5 days a week. You’ll learn weapons handling, cbrn, first aid, going down the range and preparing for CPT on week 7 I think it is. You’ll be finished a little earlier these days but you’ll have more to do in the evenings revision wise.
Mod 3 is the home strait. It goes very quickly. You’ll be on adventure training for a week. It’s very relaxed and fun. Then back to Halton, into your blues and you’ll be preparing for day 63 inspection. After the inspection it’s pretty much arms drill all day every day. The days are shorter again and it’s more chilled out. Enjoy it. It’s your last week.

Anything else you want to know feel free to ask :smile:

Thanks a lot, appreciate it :smile:
There is one thing, I tend to be a bit of a picky eater.What’s the food like, whether that’s breakfast, lunch, dinner.Is there much selection or do you eat what you get given?
There is one thing, I tend to be a bit of a picky eater.What’s the food like, whether that’s breakfast, lunch, dinner.Is there much selection or do you eat what you get given?

There's a good selection, but you'll learn not to be picky.
Take more civilian clothes. I took the bare minimum and regretted it. You will get most weekends off and you can wear your own clothes in the evenings so take more than they suggest. If you take too much then you can always leave some in your suitcase.

You’ll have an exam about 3 weeks in which pretty much marks the end of mod 1. The exam will be on things like core value, rank structure, aircraft etc. So you could get a head start on the learning because these lessons can get very tedious very quickly.

Pay attention to what your instructors say. Listen to them and take it all in. It might seem like they’re mean and they’re always getting at you for something. But trust me when I say it’s all a part of the game. These instructors are not actually like that but they need to play the part to turn 100+ civilians into military personnel.

Enjoy it. It may seem like the worst time in the world but honestly when it’s over you’ll be longing to go back. Yeah most of the time you’re having a rubbish time but the people you meet on this journey are likely to be your friends for life. Cherish these moments with eachother. You’ll build bonds like no other because you’re all going through this terrible time together.

Hi. I wasn't sure what to take all my stuff down in. Was going to use those big strong zip up food shopping bags as they can be folded away but you mentioned a suitcase. Is there a place to store bags such as suitcases?
Reply 14
How many friends and family were allowed to attend graduation? Have 6 in my family so just wondering
Original post by lucie.outlook
Hi. I wasn't sure what to take all my stuff down in. Was going to use those big strong zip up food shopping bags as they can be folded away but you mentioned a suitcase. Is there a place to store bags such as suitcases?

Yeah you can take as many bags as you can carry basically. Big room for you to store suitcases in. Everyone brought at least a suitcase and big rucksack.
Original post by Melbury
How many friends and family were allowed to attend graduation? Have 6 in my family so just wondering

There were only 2 allowed at my graduation. However with covid restrictions easing you’ll probably be allowed more
Reply 17
Ok that’s great, thank you
Reply 18
Did anyone take an iPad or laptop? Don’t want to not take one if others do. Thanks
Reply 19
Would you recommend learning how to iron and polish shoes etc. beforehand. As I know they teach you how to in training but i’m not the best at ironing at the moment and join at the end of this month.

Also, is it true you get split into different PT classes depending on your fitness levels?

Quick Reply

Latest