The Student Room Group

GCSE Results Day - Are these grades good enough for a Russel Group university?

I eventually want to go to a Russel Group University, such as King's College London, St Andrew's and Cambridge?

GCSE English Language - GRADE 7
GCSE English Literature - GRADE 9
GCSE Mathematics - GRADE 5
GCSE Biology - GRADE 7
GCSE Physics - GRADE 7
GCSE Chemistry - GRADE 6
GCSE Combined Science - GRADE 7-6
GCSE Geography - GRADE 5
GCSE RE - GRADE 7
GCSE HISTORY - GRADE 8
BTEC CDPL (CHILD DEVELOPMENT) - L2 DISTINCTION/DISTINCTION STAR
What degree are you thinking of going into?
Reply 2
Original post by dingdongbtches
What degree are you thinking of going into?

Law or Social Science. I was hoping to take A-Level Law or History, A-Level Psychology and A-Level English Lit at sixth form.
Original post by elyxe
I eventually want to go to a Russel Group University, such as King's College London, St Andrew's and Cambridge?

GCSE Biology - GRADE 7
GCSE Physics - GRADE 7
GCSE Chemistry - GRADE 6
GCSE Geography - GRADE 5
GCSE RE - GRADE 7
GCSE HISTORY - GRADE 8

How do uno ur grades already results day hasn’t happened?
Short answer, yes.
A Levels matter a whole lot more than GCSEs ever will.
Original post by Maira108
How do uno ur grades already results day hasn’t happened?

Was wondering the same thing unless they are from Wales but they'd have to do welsh GCSE's. Possibly the teachers telling the students what they got?
Original post by elyxe
Law or Social Science. I was hoping to take A-Level Law or History, A-Level Psychology and A-Level English Lit at sixth form.

In law GCSE's aren't mattered that much.

Russels group its mainly required to have at least grade 6 in English and maths BUT, in law that isn't the issue. not sure about social sciences however, you can always check the entry requirements at the uni you wish to go to.
Reply 7
Sorry, I should made it more clear. These are my predicted GCSE grades.

Was wondering the same thing unless they are from Wales but they'd have to do welsh GCSE's. Possibly the teachers telling the students what they got?

I'm from England. I forgot to mention that these are my predicted grades
Reply 8
Original post by yephahagottem
Short answer, yes.
A Levels matter a whole lot more than GCSEs ever will.

OK, thank you for your help!
As just one example - all Unis will be different - for Law at Bristol, all applications are assessed with this ratio - 40% predicted A level grades, 40% LNAT score, 20% GCSE. So, whilst your GCSEs are counted, its a very small %.

The only thing you ever need to check with GCSEs is that there are not specific subject grades - typically English Language and Maths.
Reply 10
In law GCSE's aren't mattered that much.

Russels group its mainly required to have at least grade 6 in English and maths BUT, in law that isn't the issue. not sure about social sciences however, you can always check the entry requirements at the uni you wish to go to.

Ok, thank you
Reply 11
Original post by McGinger
As just one example - all Unis will be different - for Law at Bristol, all applications are assessed with this ratio - 40% predicted A level grades, 40% LNAT score, 20% GCSE. So, whilst your GCSEs are counted, its a very small %.

The only thing you ever need to check with GCSEs is that there are not specific subject grades - typically English Language and Maths.

Thank you!
Original post by elyxe

GCSE Biology - GRADE 7
GCSE Physics - GRADE 7
GCSE Chemistry - GRADE 6
GCSE Geography - GRADE 5
GCSE RE - GRADE 7
GCSE HISTORY - GRADE 8

hey! any tips for getting your history and science grades up? As well as english lit and lang, thankss
Reply 13
Original post by vee_mullaaa
hey! any tips for getting your history and science grades up? As well as english lit and lang, thankss

Sorry for getting back to you so late!

For history,
- flashcards with content and evidence
- memorising the structure; always refer back to the question and have a clear judgement
- active recall; use of blurting and mindmaps
- completing exam questions independently and asking my teacher's feedback
- Annotating exemplar answers

- TRUST ME ON THIS - Ask the harshest marker (teacher) to mark your practise questions. At first, my ego was bruised. Soon, I realised how beneficial this was.

For science - Science was the subject I struggled most with but I pushed through it.
- active recall; use of blurting
- spaced repetition - essential!
- completing past papers and asking my teacher's feedback
- watching 'freesciencelessons' on youtube and making notes
- https://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/ I was in love with this website for science revision

English lit and language
- flashcards with quotations and annotations
- 'Quizlet' will help but do not rely on others' notes entirely
- In the top set, we were taught to expand on the structure. Instead of using basic structure, have multiple interpretations and strong analysis. Using analytical sentence starters will help with this.
- Knowing the text well and remembering the text
- Practise questions and teacher's feedback!! This was my favourite subject so I asked for multiple opinions on my work to ensure that the feedback was beneficial.
- Annotating exemplar answers

- Speak to your subject teachers privately and discuss your potential. Let them know that you want to push yourself! I noticed that when I did this, I was given more advanced tasks.

Above all, do not put too much pressure on yourself. Especially with the pandemic, remember that GCSEs are numbers. They do not define your worth. I put too much pressure on myself and I got burnt out very quickly, even now with my A-Levels.

- To prevent this, I suggest that you make a schedule with your tasks
- Also, in lessons, ask the teachers if you do not understand something. There is no point in writing down something that you do not understand.

Good luck, I know you are going to do well! I hope this was beneficial - I'm happy to help!
The russel group is really broad, comparing somewhere like Queens Belfast to Oxford... yeah..
Reply 15
Original post by Jonathanツ
The russel group is really broad, comparing somewhere like Queens Belfast to Oxford... yeah..

Thank you for responding,

Since then, I've been focusing on the University of Birmingham, Manchester, Nottingham and King College London.
Original post by elyxe
Thank you for responding,

Since then, I've been focusing on the University of Birmingham, Manchester, Nottingham and King College London.

It's Russell btw ...
Reply 17
Original post by Muttley79
It's Russell btw ...

I apologise for the incorrect grammar, it was written 7 months ago.

Latest

Trending

Trending