The Student Room Group

Why is junk food tastier than healthy food?

It just is.. McDonalds is nicer than rice and fish

Scroll to see replies

It depends on the specific ingredients, venue, personal opinions and cooking standards.
A lot of fast food products taste good because they contain lots of sugar, salt, artificial flavourings, food colourings and additives.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by londonmyst
It depends on the specific ingredients, venue, personal opinions and cooking standards.
A lot of fast food products taste good because they contains lots of sugar, salt, artificial flavourings, food colourings and additives.

mmm. The reason fish isn't tasty is because it doesn't contain food colourings. Thanks!

BTW, rice isn't all that healthy. Not any more so than, say, bread.
Two words, refined sugars and saturated fats.

Those are the things that the body can use easily for energy and were spare during our evolutionary history. Technically, there's no such thing as unhealthy food but rather unhealthy amounts. If you're eating a high calorie meal consiting of sugar but burn that off, then there's little risk of heart disease. It's only when people consume high calories but live a sedentary lifestyle that it becomes a problem.

Best example I can find is that Usain Bolt used to eat 1,000 McNuggets a day during the Olympics.
Reply 4
Original post by hijackedbrother
Two words, refined sugars and saturated fats.

Those are the things that the body can use easily for energy and were spare during our evolutionary history. Technically, there's no such thing as unhealthy food but rather unhealthy amounts. If you're eating a high calorie meal consiting of sugar but burn that off, then there's little risk of heart disease. It's only when people consume high calories but live a sedentary lifestyle that it becomes a problem.

Best example I can find is that Usain Bolt used to eat 1,000 McNuggets a day during the Olympics.

What you’re saying can’t be true, I don’t claim to be any sort of expert but there are other things to consider such as diabetes. You can eat 1000 mcnuggets a day and burn it off in terms of fat, but the damage done to your body such as your cholesterol level can’t simply be burned off.
I would argue that healthy food is much tastier
Original post by hijackedbrother

Bit of an exaggeration - you're out by a factor of 10.

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/world-of-sport/fulham-fc-nutritionist-explains-why-usain-bolts-100-mcdonalds-nuggets-a-day-at-beijing-olympics-wasnt-so-bad-91554
Original post by lil5ve
It just is.. McDonalds is nicer than rice and fish

It's designed to be tasty - a huge amount of money goes into making it irresistible to most people, plus associated aggressive marketing. You are proving them right here.
Because you have no taste in good food.

If you can't make food better than a big mac you need to learn to cook.
Reply 8
Original post by Reality Check
It's designed to be tasty - a huge amount of money goes into making it irresistible to most people, plus associated aggressive marketing. You are proving them right here.

So you don’t think McDonalds is tasty?
Reply 9
Original post by DiddyDec
Because you have no taste in good food.

If you can't make food better than a big mac you need to learn to cook.

What meals do you cook then? Go on chef dic I mean dec
Original post by lil5ve

I don't know how you've read that from my post - I didn't say either way.
For the record - I love McDonalds food. But it's shít, fundamentally, so I have it very, very occasionally.
Original post by lil5ve
What meals do you cook then? Go on chef dic I mean dec

Well, the last thing I cooked was grilled pollock with new potatoes on a bed of spinach with a parsley sauce.

Healthy, tasty, cheap.
Original post by lil5ve

It's disgusting
you're the guy who asked if women take sharts didn't u
Mcdonalds is ****ing nasty

I agree that junk food tastes better but honestly I've always hated Mcdonalds.
Reply 15
Original post by Reality Check
I don't know how you've read that from my post - I didn't say either way.
For the record - I love McDonalds food. But it's shít, fundamentally, so I have it very, very occasionally.

You said I was proving them right as though you were far superior and can resist a McDonalds.
Reply 16
Original post by DiddyDec
Well, the last thing I cooked was grilled pollock with new potatoes on a bed of spinach with a parsley sauce.

Healthy, tasty, cheap.

Lol you are so funny.
Original post by lil5ve
You said I was proving them right as though you were far superior and can resist a McDonalds.

wtf...
Reply 18
Junk food is filled with additives and preservatives to make it as tasty and addictive as it can be. Healthy food, is just good food. If you pumped a cracker with half the stuff they put into a Big Mac, you'd be craving them too.
Original post by mediumvacuumpak
you're the guy who asked if women take sharts didn't u

Oh sweet jesus...

Quick Reply

Latest