The Student Room Group

Should children should be allowed to wear make up in school?

Children should be allowed to wear make up in school?

Post opinions below. Do not judge for any opinions just accept them and respond with a counter arguament

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lars360

Post opinions below. Do not judge for any opinions just accept them and respond with a counter arguament

yeah, as long as it’s not extreme I think it’s fine.
if teachers can wear it, why can’t kids?
I don't see any reason to ban it.

And banning it just means teachers have to devote more time of enforcing petty rules at the expense of teaching.
Reply 3
I think it is completly ok above certain age but i dont think it is a good idea for younger children (below 12 or sth like that). Girls who wear makeup from the very young age could feel like they need to wear it not to look ugly even if they are not actually ugly. I think they should become comfortable going to people without makeup first before they are allowed to use makeup.
If it's just a little bit of makeup then that's fine.
Obviously a lot of makeup shouldn't be allowed.
Reply 5
No because it promotes premature sexualisation, it’s not really what school is about and it’s completely unnecessary. Maybe in 6th form
What he said plus the same reasoning behind school uniforms apply to this subject.

Original post by lucyyy12

Teachers should be banned from wearing it too.
(edited 2 years ago)
Yes.
Sould be allowed from secondary school age unless the students are younger with very visible symptoms of illness, genetic problems or injuries that need to use makeup to conceal.
Original post by TheStupidMoon
What he said plus the same reasoning behind school uniforms apply to this subject.

Teachers should be banned from wearing it too.

why? I don’t wear much makeup myself and most of the time I don’t bother at all, but I don’t see why people can’t wear what they want. it doesn’t affect their teaching or the kids learning.
some people like makeup because it makes them feel a bit more put together, or it gives them more confidence. for some people makeup is an art form, or part of their identity.

btw I don’t think young kids should be wearing makeup. maybe like high school.
Original post by Lars360

No. Children should be children. Once they are adults, they can do whatever they like. If I was a Head teacher, i would expel any student caught wearing makeup.
I think girls should only wear makeup in school if they are 16+
I think it’s okay within reason. A small amount to look fresh and awake is probably okay, coming into school looking like a drag queen probably isn’t.

Everything in moderation.

Edit: I can see why a school might want to ban makeup entirely though. It's difficult to enforce the subjective line between what is "moderate" and what is "excessive", and banning it completely would prevent people from gradually trying to push the limit more and more, resulting in arguments about "How is this too much makeup? It's only a bit!".
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 12
Original post by lucyyy12

I agree teachers should stick to the same rules. But what is the definition of extreme makeup? Where is the line between acceptable and unacceptable? The problem with makeup is that maintaining it through the day becomes a distraction. Also, why on earth does a 14 year old with beautiful youthful skin need makeup? And for those with spots or acne - well, makeup is not going to help matters.
Original post by Emma:-)
If it's just a little bit of makeup then that's fine.
Obviously a lot of makeup shouldn't be allowed.

How do you distinguish though? This is how it gets "petty".

Either it is or is not allowed. I think it shouldn't be allowed generally. Maybe have one day a week, or month... like "Makeup Monday", and have at it then. Otherwise I think (and from what I've hard) it can turn into a distracting competitive arena for girls in school, even to the extent of them getting bullied for it.
Original post by hotpud
I agree teachers should stick to the same rules.

Why?
Reply 15
No, you're at school to learn, nothing else. Plenty of time in the future to wear make up.
I personally don’t see why it matters.

More should be done about if people are getting bullied for having bad skin/not wearing make up/wearing makeup rather than a blanket rule that no one is allowed it.
For some it is a way to express themselves/be unique, for others it is a way to hide flaws(perceived or real)
it can greatly improve a person’s mental well-being and I don’t see why an arbitrary rule should be imposed that negatively effects that.
Again, better support in schools is a far better process to be implementing rather than a ban of makeup.

And where does it stop. Can you not use concealer on a spot? What about hair dye, hair gel, hair spray? Where and why do you draw that line on what is and what isn’t allowed?
If it doesn’t interfere with their learning, or others learning then why create an issue?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Reality Check
Why?

Because it stinks of hypocrisy. We are seeing a backlash from Boris having one rule for self-isolation and another for everyone else. Why should schools be any different? If we want good citizens of the future, modelling fairness and conformance in school is a good start.
Original post by hotpud
Because it stinks of hypocrisy. We are seeing a backlash from Boris having one rule for self-isolation and another for everyone else. Why should schools be any different? If we want good citizens of the future, modelling fairness and conformance in school is a good start.

What an odd idea. Children at school have to wear uniforms, whereas teachers don't. Is that 'hypocrisy' as well? Would you make teachers wear school uniforms because children have to?
Reply 19
Original post by Reality Check
What an odd idea. Children at school have to wear uniforms, whereas teachers don't. Is that 'hypocrisy' as well? Would you make teachers wear school uniforms because children have to?

I wear a uniform. It is called professional dress. I wear a suit as do all my male colleagues. Women wear jackets.

As for students. Wearing a uniform is a great equaliser. On non-uniform days it is clear who the haves and have nots are.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending