The Student Room Group

natural selection

Describe the generic process of natural selection:

My answer: Natural selection is where organisms that are better adapted to an environment will survive and reproduce meaning that the advantageous alleles of this variant organism are passed on to offspring.

Does anyone have a proper answer for this question
I would say something like this:
-A random mutation occurs producing new alleles.
-The new allele might provide an individual with an advantageous characteristic. So they are more likely to survive and reproduce, passing on the advantageous allele.
-Over many generations, the frequency of the new allele will increase in the population.
Reply 2
Original post by nerviodor
I would say something like this:
-A random mutation occurs producing new alleles.
-The new allele might provide an individual with an advantageous characteristic. So they are more likely to survive and reproduce, passing on the advantageous allele.
-Over many generations, the frequency of the new allele will increase in the population.

tyy

Is this right:
4 steps of natural selection:

1. Overproduction: species produce more offspring than can survive to maturity.
2. Genetic variation: offspring will have some differences in appearance of behaviors
3. Struggle to survive: resources are limited
4. Successful reproduction: organisms have beneficial adaptations that help in survival and that will reproduce and pass on their genes
Original post by zarahh09
tyy

Is this right:
4 steps of natural selection:

1. Overproduction: species produce more offspring than can survive to maturity.
2. Genetic variation: offspring will have some differences in appearance of behaviors
3. Struggle to survive: resources are limited
4. Successful reproduction: organisms have beneficial adaptations that help in survival and that will reproduce and pass on their genes

It looks like 1 and 3 are almost the same, and you've not mentioned the environment?

An acronym for this is VISSTA:

1. Organisms vary; these variations can be inherited [Variation and Inheritance]

2. The environment imposes limits on how many organisms can survive [Survival]

3. More of the individuals with variations best suited to the environment will survive and reproduce [Selection]

4. Over time, the more successful variations will increase within the population, and the less successful variations will decline, so the population adapts to fit the environment [Time and Adaption]

NB I have no idea what your exam board might require

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending