The Student Room Group

Plagiarism in English GCSE

I totally plagiarized soMeone's work in my exam. The literature exam was on Monday and the morning before I read an exemplar for a Macbeth question. Monday evening I re read the answer and I realise I wrote word to word for some parts. I think 65% of my answer was that question. I didn't even mean to do that at all. I just have a terribly good memory. What will happen to me? Will the exam board disqualify me?

Scroll to see replies

It's ok they won't do anything seriously but maybe try to ur different words it's not your fault they honestly won't do anything
Original post by velvetzappa
I totally plagiarized soMeone's work in my exam. The literature exam was on Monday and the morning before I read an exemplar for a Macbeth question. Monday evening I re read the answer and I realise I wrote word to word for some parts. I think 65% of my answer was that question. I didn't even mean to do that at all. I just have a terribly good memory. What will happen to me? Will the exam board disqualify me?
Did anything happen?
Reply 3
Original post by Kappadikandai
Did anything happen?

No. I got a grade 9 instead. Best in that year. Gosh I wish I could say that for the forthcoming a levels.
Reply 4
Doesn't plagiarism only really matter at university? Not sure about A levels, because I'm doing GCSEs atm.
No. I got a grade 9 instead. Best in that year. Gosh I wish I could say that for the forthcoming a levels.
Some help would be appreciated, I'm in yr 11 now and I am struggling with both my english lit and lang. Any tips or anything?
Reply 6
Original post by Anthos
Doesn't plagiarism only really matter at university? Not sure about A levels, because I'm doing GCSEs atm.

I don't want to plagiarize in my a-levels lol, I'm taking all maths subjects I don't know how I would be able to plagiarize with those. I mean I wish I could say best in the class for the coming a-levels.
Reply 7
Original post by Kappadikandai
Some help would be appreciated, I'm in yr 11 now and I am struggling with both my english lit and lang. Any tips or anything?

All I did was just read books I enjoyed, not even related to the books we did in the course - I didn't even read those apart from in class. But I enjoy classics anyway. Then I watched MrBruff, I only used him as my teacher was useless and Mr Bruff was a god. He helped understand the exam structure and the exemplars were brilliant. That's all really, that all it took to get a grade 9 back then.
As for language, I'm not really sure about it, I winged it and got a 7, I suppose it would've been higher had I put in actual effort. I'm not sure what I did to get that grade. I suppose I've always enjoyed English itself to some extent and that's why I didn't fail. Even today, despite a-levels, I'm still a bookworm and a little obsessed with the structure of languages themselves. Probably should've taken a-level English instead of Physics. God, make sure to pick your options wisely.
All I did was just read books I enjoyed, not even related to the books we did in the course - I didn't even read those apart from in class. But I enjoy classics anyway. Then I watched MrBruff, I only used him as my teacher was useless and Mr Bruff was a god. He helped understand the exam structure and the exemplars were brilliant. That's all really, that all it took to get a grade 9 back then.
As for language, I'm not really sure about it, I winged it and got a 7, I suppose it would've been higher had I put in actual effort. I'm not sure what I did to get that grade. I suppose I've always enjoyed English itself to some extent and that's why I didn't fail. Even today, despite a-levels, I'm still a bookworm and a little obsessed with the structure of languages themselves. Probably should've taken a-level English instead of Physics. God, make sure to pick your options wisely.

Thanks for the reply, but just wondering how did you "plagiarise"?
Reply 9
Original post by kapslock16
Thanks for the reply, but just wondering how did you "plagiarise"?

I remembered Mr Bruff's exemplars, although I didn't memorize them nor make any effort to learn them, they stuck to me and I realized afterwards that I had written almost verbatim, his essays in my exams.
Original post by Anthos

Is this true? In regards to coursework that is
(edited 4 years ago)
Send me the link to the answer you copied please. Or just tell me on here because I'm really struggling with english atm so please help.
Original post by Eq Liang
Is this true? In regards to coursework that is

For coursework, you would be caught immediately. They are all scanned and very thoroughly checked for plagiarism. You would end up failing English and potentially your other GCSEs as well.
Reply 13
Original post by Quick-use
For coursework, you would be caught immediately. They are all scanned and very thoroughly checked for plagiarism. You would end up failing English and potentially your other GCSEs as well.

3 year old thread.
Any future person with the same question as the thread title:
It’s fine if you’ve plagiarised (eng lit or Lang) and actually it’s excellent and encouraged (well by my teachers) to use great and beautiful texts because it really teaches you to improve your writing. So do not stress at all. One of my classmates plagiarised a whole anime called Tokyo ghoul I believe and got a 9
Original post by hajima
3 year old thread.

I derped. :facepalm:
Original post by Quick-use

what coursework are u refering to? Are you talking about the mock assessments we are doing in class right now
Original post by rory12350
what coursework are u refering to? Are you talking about the mock assessments we are doing in class right now

A-level English has coursework, and gcse English used to have coursework, which was what the user you quoted was referring to :smile: (not class assessments)
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by SofiaaBlazycaW
Really? I completely plagiarised and I'm so nervous! I get my results within a month!

4 year old thread buddy.
Original post by SofiaaBlazycaW
meaning?

the thread created is 4 years old.

Latest