The Student Room Group

Are my A-levels good for UNI law?

Hey!! I was thinking of doing

English literature. // Not sure if I want to do it though as it did make me cry when I did GCSE's :')
(don't get me wrong I love English literature just don't see myself getting an A* in it.
Economics
Psychology

Is there any a levels you would recommend to me I want to do a levels that would be recognised by very high repute universities part of Russell group.

I know that you need at least one heavy contented subjects and economics and English literature are seen to be one.

Also hesitating whether to do politics as my 4th.
(edited 2 years ago)
a level law
Original post by dingdongbtches

English literature. // Not sure if I want to do it though as it did make me cry when I did GCSE's :')
(don't get me wrong I love English literature just don't see myself getting an A* in it.
Economics
Psychology

Is there any a levels you would recommend to me I want to do a levels that would be recognised by very high repute universities part of Russell group.

I know that you need at least one heavy contented subjects and economics and English literature are seen to be one.

Your standard of English is pretty atrocious, to be honest. Are you foreign? I think this will be the biggest hurdle to clear for a successful law application: high literacy and facility with writing is non-negotiable.

Economics
Psychology

Hmm i would only take English if you love it. What are other subjects you tend to enjoy. The thing is with law you can basically take anything :smile: but of course an essay subject would be handy.
Reply 5

Economics
Psychology

These are just random suggestions. History? Geography? Law? Sociology?
Original post by taxonomy.
a level law

They don't do it at my college :frown:
Original post by Reality Check
Your standard of English is pretty atrocious, to be honest. Are you foreign? I think this will be the biggest hurdle to clear for a successful law application: high literacy and facility with writing is non-negotiable.

Ouch, im not foreign. But I speak 4 languages... It was probably because I thought in a different language when I was typing and literally translating it onto here..
I need to reread my sentences more often than I do I guess...
(edited 2 years ago)
Ouch, im not foreign. But I speak 4 languages... It was probably because I thought in a different language when I was typing and literally translating it onto here..

:smile: That's fine then - so long as you're confident in your abilities to write clearly and fluently, that's the main thing.

Hi dingdongbtches

If you are able to do an a-level in any of these four languages that can also be an idea? Foreign languages qualifications are usually held in quite high esteem by Universities and employers alike, particularly in larger international law firms. Economics and psychology are both great options too, as are politics, English language or possibly history if you are unsure of taking English literature, as each of them will either give you some base knowledge that is related to Law (Politics) or develop your communication and critical evaluation skills (English language/History) which are important in Law too.

Above all of this, however, A-levels can be really difficult so take something that will be suited to your skills, and interests and that you can get some really good grades in, as a lot of Universities are not too picky when it comes to their law courses.

Lizzy, Student ambassador (Law)
Original post by Uni of Hull Students
Hi dingdongbtches

If you are able to do an a-level in any of these four languages that can also be an idea? Foreign languages qualifications are usually held in quite high esteem by Universities and employers alike, particularly in larger international law firms. Economics and psychology are both great options too, as are politics, English language or possibly history if you are unsure of taking English literature, as each of them will either give you some base knowledge that is related to Law (Politics) or develop your communication and critical evaluation skills (English language/History) which are important in Law too.

Above all of this, however, A-levels can be really difficult so take something that will be suited to your skills, and interests and that you can get some really good grades in, as a lot of Universities are not too picky when it comes to their law courses.

Hi thank you Lizzy,

Im unable to do another foreign language as ive never done any at GCSE level so I won't be able to expand from it into an A-level option.

If you dont mind me asking what A-levels did you do?

Ive finalised my decision of doing English literature, Economics, Psychology and AS level Computer science.
Hi thank you Lizzy,

Im unable to do another foreign language as ive never done any at GCSE level so I won't be able to expand from it into an A-level option.

Ive finalised my decision of doing English literature, Economics, Psychology and AS level Computer science.

out of curiosity, which languages do you know?
Original post by earmstrong7
out of curiosity, which languages do you know?

English obviously

Urdu, Punjabi, Korean, (readable arabic) and English.

What about you? :smile:
Hi thank you Lizzy,

Hi dingdongbtches,

Good to hear you've decided, they all sound like really good options! And I studied Law, Psychology and Biology at A Level and loved Psychology so here's hoping you will too :smile:

English obviously

Urdu, Punjabi, Korean, (readable arabic) and English.

What about you? :smile:

fluent in english, bit of spanish and german... jdyutrdtf

Economics
Psychology

I'm not sure about English Lit - not if it made you cry at GCSE (unless the poetry bit moved you that much) and you can't see yourself getting a top grade in it. Plus your writing style is not the best as RC mentioned. Also, there is no reason to do more than 3 subjects - best to focus on 3 and get better grades.

Economics and Psychology are good choices. What were your highest GCSE grades in?
Original post by harrysbar
I'm not sure about English Lit - not if it made you cry at GCSE (unless the poetry bit moved you that much) and you can't see yourself getting a top grade in it. Plus your writing style is not the best as RC mentioned. Also, there is no reason to do more than 3 subjects - best to focus on 3 and get better grades.

Economics and Psychology are good choices. What were your highest GCSE grades in?

English literature, History. Of course I dont know my grades but this is one of estimated prediction. Im more on the essay side academically rather than the mathsy side.
English literature, History. Of course I dont know my grades but this is one of estimated prediction. Im more on the essay side academically rather than the mathsy side.

See what you get at GCSE but if you don’t get at least an A I would consider doing History instead, if you get a higher grade in that.
Original post by harrysbar
See what you get at GCSE but if you don’t get at least an A I would consider doing History instead, if you get a higher grade in that.

Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest