The Student Room Group

How to get over fear of blood test?

I have a blood test tomorrow I haven't had an injection or blood test in almost five years always hated them. I know the ordinary tips like "look away" but i'm really anxious and I just can't stand needles does anyone have any other tips that'll calm me down and ease the whole process.
Original post by Anonymous
I have a blood test tomorrow I haven't had an injection or blood test in almost five years always hated them. I know the ordinary tips like "look away" but i'm really anxious and I just can't stand needles does anyone have any other tips that'll calm me down and ease the whole process.

Im the same way. So no. Deep down you know you’ll need to get it done. Today tomorrow, I always procrastinate and get more anxious so it’s definitely better to rip that band aid fast
Second, take someone with you to hold you down or something, my mom and one other hospital official always holds my hands down and I just close my eyes, there’s nothing you can do except put on a brave face and do it.
It’ll be an anxious ride to the hospital and boom 5mins later you’re fine.
(edited 2 years ago)
I hate blood tests aswell and i know how nerve wrecking they can be. I know you said you've heard about dont look at the needle but its so true. I face the other way and never look at my arm while getting it done. Also, just remember it's just a small pinch and then it's over and done with. Take deep breaths and just keep that in ur head it'll be over before u know it. The nurse will probably have small talk with u which helps me because it distracts u. I hated blood tests more when i was younger and now they aren't as bad i dont like them but i dont get the same really bad anxiety over it. What is making u the most nervous about it?
Reply 3
Original post by holly0212
I hate blood tests aswell and i know how nerve wrecking they can be. I know you said you've heard about dont look at the needle but its so true. I face the other way and never look at my arm while getting it done. Also, just remember it's just a small pinch and then it's over and done with. Take deep breaths and just keep that in ur head it'll be over before u know it. The nurse will probably have small talk with u which helps me because it distracts u. I hated blood tests more when i was younger and now they aren't as bad i dont like them but i dont get the same really bad anxiety over it. What is making u the most nervous about it?

The needle, the sensation of it sucking my blood and fear of fainting or getting a panic attack.
The needle, the sensation of it sucking my blood and fear of fainting or getting a panic attack.

you'll hardly feel it
you will just feel a tiny prick
Reply 6
Thanks for the responses guys I feel a bit better.
Reply 7
Supposedly it helps to ask them to tie the band extra tight.
The actual act of having it done doesnt hurt, the anxiety and fear in your head is what'll get you. Do something relaxing tonight and before you go and dont overthink it.
I just don't look at that arm when they take the sample. It is just a matter of few seconds before everything gets back to usual.

how did it go?
Weird suggestion but try sucking or biting your thumb. Like, to the point you're almost drawing blood (pun intended). If you then focus on your thumb over your arm, you won't even notice the needle.
Original post by AzureWind
Weird suggestion but try sucking or biting your thumb. Like, to the point you're almost drawing blood (pun intended). If you then focus on your thumb over your arm, you won't even notice the needle.

People can be quite creative. Haha.
Thanks to everyone who responded I ended up getting the blood test yesterday and it went really well, was pretty painless and I used the advice everyone gave.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending