The Student Room Group

Should I be married before age 25.

I'm 22 now and debating whether I should get married and live with someone before the age of 25. 25 is really young, but I feel like I am capable of living with someone and starting a life. My family are quite dysfunctional.

Scroll to see replies

Entirely your own decision
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Entirely your own decision

Honestly I don't know because you can't rush things in life. I wasn't ready to go to university before 20 and I'm concerned that even though I want to get married in the next three years that I might not cope with it even though I am perfectly capable of going to university.
Are you in a relationship with someone?
Reply 4
Original post by GabiAbi84
Are you in a relationship with someone?

Yeah I am but he's from America
Reply 5
Actually it is less likely to fail if both parties have a bachelor's degree or higher etc
I'm 22 now and debating whether I should get married and live with someone before the age of 25. 25 is really young, but I feel like I am capable of living with someone and starting a life. My family are quite dysfunctional.

Yes.

Suggested timeline:
Marriage - 25
5/6 children - 26 - 35

Good luck
Reply 7
You are right in saying some fail though, it's a bit much.
Reply 8
Original post by Wired_1800
Yes.

Suggested timeline:
Marriage - 25
5/6 children - 26 - 35

Good luck

5/6 children??? :biggrin:
no need to get married. it’s just a piece of paper. life doesn’t suddenly change when u get married. save your money to go travelling and see the world. a wedding is a waste of money
Always trust your gut instinct and listen to what your common sense is telling you. :smile:
If you believe that you have found the right person who shares your ambitions & lifestyle, both feel ready to commit to marriage and are able to afford the costs of both a wedding & starting life as a married couple- it's fine.

Many of my friends got married as teenagers or in their early 20s.
Plenty of other friends over 25 are still hoping to meet a compatible spouse or have decided that marriage is not a suitable option for them.
Good luck!
5/6 children??? :biggrin:

Up to you. Some women want small families and others want large families.
Original post by Wired_1800
Up to you. Some women want small families and others want large families.

Yeah definitely not that many kids though.
Most marriages do not fail and end in divorce? What's the point of marrying to then just divorce later on in the year?
No, I can understand the idea of marriage declining now as society's becoming more and more secular. Marriages do fail, yes, but there's so many that do work out. Some get divorced and then re-marry and establish healthy relationships.
Yeah definitely not that many kids though.

That’s fair
no need to get married. it’s just a piece of paper. life doesn’t suddenly change when u get married. save your money to go travelling and see the world. a wedding is a waste of money

There are benefits of getting married.
Only if its the right person or you'll just end up divorced by 30 potentially ruining 2 (if not more if you have kids) lives.

Im also 27, not married and still alive and well so no you dont 'need' to do so
Reply 18
what do you mean 'but he's from America'; does he live in America? if that's the case i would say don't marry him till you've lived in the same city for a couple years. i'm sure you love your bf but ngl you won't really know if you're compatible for marriage till you've had to see each other in person on a regular basis, shared bills together, shared a social life etc. marriage is not the easiest contract to get out of, especially if you have property and children involved.

but ignore me if i misunderstood that you are in a long-distance relationship :h:
Average age for first marriage for women in the UK is 31.

Average.

Anybody who thinks getting married under 25 is normal is just deluded.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending