The Student Room Group

Sad about my personal statement

I wrote my first and my second draft and the people is showed it to didn't seem happy, they said "not tooooo bad" or "yeah that's good😐" but the same teacher was saying things like "it's a fantastic start" to my friends. I'm applying Cambridge and I feel sad because no one likes it ):

Also English isn't my first language so I sometime struggle to be very eloquent in essays so I think that's why my personal statement is bad.
Reply 1
Also they gave feedback as to how I should improve it, but I still think it's not good enough ):
Try not to panic. Rome wasn't built in a day (or so the saying goes!) and you have plenty of time to refine it. Try not to let it knock your confidence too much :console:
Reply 3
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Try not to panic. Rome wasn't built in a day (or so the saying goes!) and you have plenty of time to refine it. Try not to let it knock your confidence too much :console:

)):
Original post by rxrx2004
)):

Are you the person I've spoken to recently, who's applying for physics or engineering? Or was that someone else? :colondollar: (Apologies if it's someone else - I'm not very good at remembering usernames, haha!) Keep working on your teacher's feedback. The PS Review service on here isn't open just yet (in the sense that we're not actively reviewing) but once you're convinced you've done all you can, you can make a thread in here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=1372 and someone can try and look at it for you before you have to submit to Cambridge :smile: We tend to only give one review so it's in your interests to refine it as much as you can before submitting it to the PS Review service :yep:
I rewrote my personal statement well over 10 times. As long as you keep at it you’ll get there.
Reply 6
Are you the person I've spoken to recently, who's applying for physics or engineering? Or was that someone else? :colondollar: (Apologies if it's someone else - I'm not very good at remembering usernames, haha!) Keep working on your teacher's feedback. The PS Review service on here isn't open just yet (in the sense that we're not actively reviewing) but once you're convinced you've done all you can, you can make a thread in here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=1372 and someone can try and look at it for you before you have to submit to Cambridge :smile: We tend to only give one review so it's in your interests to refine it as much as you can before submitting it to the PS Review service :yep:

Thank you!
I also feel slightly embarrassed giving it to other teachers what if they thinks it's **** too

Original post by flamingolover
I rewrote my personal statement well over 10 times. As long as you keep at it you’ll get there.

Thanks
Reply 7
I wrote my first and my second draft and the people is showed it to didn't seem happy, they said "not tooooo bad" or "yeah that's good😐" but the same teacher was saying things like "it's a fantastic start" to my friends. I'm applying Cambridge and I feel sad because no one likes it ):

Also English isn't my first language so I sometime struggle to be very eloquent in essays so I think that's why my personal statement is bad.

Hey I totally get how unsettling that is. I didn't apply to Oxbridge and english is my first language, but when writing my personal statement I wrote over 30 copies before applying. Sounds drastic and it probably was but the point is if your teacher had said "that's awesome" or "love the start" your statement won't grow as much. I applied to 3 Russell group unis and 2 others and got into all 5. My grades weren't ground braking and honestly I am a pretty average person, but it was my statement that sold it. Remember this is what they see YOU, not just your grades. Sell YOU and they will love you. If my teachers hadn't ripped mine apart all those times I probably wouldn't be where I am. It hurts but you go this!!!
don't worry it took me ages to do one that was even half okay, and then getting it to the word count was another mountain to climb.
You've got ages to perfect it Xxx
I applied for law and it took me so long to get it right before I showed it to anyone!! Just make sure you’ve included everything you have to and that it reflects you and you’ll be fine :smile:
Thank you!
I also feel slightly embarrassed giving it to other teachers what if they thinks it's **** too

Thanks

Just remember that it's not necessarily that your teachers think your draft is ****: it's just they want you to fulfil your true potential and show yourself off to your best ability! So it's just constructive critique that is (hopefully) intended to build you up and help you to shine :smile:

PS writing is one of the hardest and most cringeworthy things you'll do at this sort of age. It's a serious skill and one that doesn't develop overnight/straightaway.

Also, just to echo what ROTL94 says, teachers (however experienced) don't always get these things right! For example: my school's then-Oxbridge application coordinator liked my PS but told me there's no point my applying to Oxford, as I'd never get in. She didn't bar me from applying but told me it was a wasted application.

Guess who was THE ONLY PERSON to get into Oxford OR Cambridge from my school within a four-year period? Clue: begins with T, ends with G, may have an L thrown in the middle :ninja:

:ahee:
Reply 11
I didn’t start writing my personal statement until October (granted, I wasn’t applying to Cambridge obviously) you have plenty of time to refine, get feedback, refine again, etc. That’s just the process of a PS!
Reply 12
Original post by lorieh
I didn’t start writing my personal statement until October (granted, I wasn’t applying to Cambridge obviously) you have plenty of time to refine, get feedback, refine again, etc. That’s just the process of a PS!

Just remember that it's not necessarily that your teachers think your draft is ****: it's just they want you to fulfil your true potential and show yourself off to your best ability! So it's just constructive critique that is (hopefully) intended to build you up and help you to shine :smile:

PS writing is one of the hardest and most cringeworthy things you'll do at this sort of age. It's a serious skill and one that doesn't develop overnight/straightaway.

Also, just to echo what ROTL94 says, teachers (however experienced) don't always get these things right! For example: my school's then-Oxbridge application coordinator liked my PS but told me there's no point my applying to Oxford, as I'd never get in. She didn't bar me from applying but told me it was a wasted application.

Guess who was THE ONLY PERSON to get into Oxford OR Cambridge from my school within a four-year period? Clue: begins with T, ends with G, may have an L thrown in the middle :ninja:

:ahee:

thanks so much
well done by the way :smile:
I didn't get a bad response, but I'm applying for a competitive joint course, whereas my PS was a bit lop-sided

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending