The Student Room Group

Unfairly failed driving test

Perfect drive throughout the test with no minors, then a taxi pulls out in front of me at a roundabout causing both of us to slow down and me to fail. Slightly annoying

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by PS1895
Perfect drive throughout the test with no minors, then a taxi pulls out in front of me at a roundabout causing both of us to slow down and me to fail. Slightly annoying

Okay. What's your question?
Original post by PS1895

If I understand this correctly, you were already on the roundabout when the taxi came out into the roundabout right in front of you?
Sounds like you weren’t indicating correctly which led the taxi driver to believe that you were leaving the roundabout when you weren’t.
Original post by Domainski
If I understand this correctly, you were already on the roundabout when the taxi came out into the roundabout right in front of you?
Sounds like you weren’t indicating correctly which led the taxi driver to believe that you were leaving the roundabout when you weren’t.

A similar thing happened to me. I was driving back to the centre and was waiting to go onto a big roundabout. There was a car coming but he was really far away, going slowly, and indicating to come off. So I indicated and went on and as soon as I started committing the slow indicating car turned off his indicator and sped up a lot. Because I couldn’t stop now I had to go onto the round about and he slowed because of it and I failed. It wasn’t fair, but apparently I should have predicted that he’d change his mind despite having absolutely no sign that he wasn’t going to turn off. It’s a joke but you can’t change it, just rebook and try again.
Original post by Googley_eyes
A similar thing happened to me. I was driving back to the centre and was waiting to go onto a big roundabout. There was a car coming but he was really far away, going slowly, and indicating to come off. So I indicated and went on and as soon as I started committing the slow indicating car turned off his indicator and sped up a lot. Because I couldn’t stop now I had to go onto the round about and he slowed because of it and I failed. It wasn’t fair, but apparently I should have predicted that he’d change his mind despite having absolutely no sign that he wasn’t going to turn off. It’s a joke but you can’t change it, just rebook and try again.

I’ve always been taught to not trust anybody on the road. If you have enough time to safely go out of a junction or onto a roundabout in front of another car (with enough space between you) regardless of what they will do then you are safe. Otherwise wait for them to pass/turn into a junction/get off the roundabout before you proceed.
I’ve always been taught to not trust anybody on the road. If you have enough time to safely go out of a junction or onto a roundabout in front of another car (with enough space between you) regardless of what they will do then you are safe. Otherwise wait for them to pass/turn into a junction/get off the roundabout before you proceed.

This ^^^. The examiner is assessing your "road sense" and the ability to read the traffic as well as the basic mirror, signal, maneuver stuff. Your job as a drive is both to do “the right thing” yourself, and also allow enough maneuvering time and space to still be safe when other people c**k up, which I can guarantee they will with great regularity.
Reply 6
Sounds like you weren’t indicating correctly which led the taxi driver to believe that you were leaving the roundabout when you

i was indicating and the dim wit taxi driver still pulled out in front of me, if he had any sense to learn the rules of the road he’d be doing a better job than being a taxi driver
(edited 2 years ago)
[QUOTE="PS1895;95554359"]
i was indicating and the dim wit taxi driver still pulled out in front of me, if he had any sense to learn the rules of the road he’d be doing a better job than being a taxi driver

What did the examiner say about this?
Reply 8
Original post by PS1895
Sounds like you weren’t indicating correctly which led the taxi driver to believe that you were leaving the roundabout when you

It's not the taxi drivers problem that your observation skills are lacking. If you failed the test then you didn't appropriately handle the situation..

@TheDE would you agree?
Reply 9
What did the examiner say about this?

she said i caused him to brake which is a serious fault which is ********
Original post by Googley_eyes

Yeh there are situations where you can do nothing and will basically get a fail in an exam due to pure chance.

I've had people literally wait till the last second to indicate and pull with about 5 feet distance in the past, people will just get an auto fail for that because it is the easy decision for the examiner. Some people are real ahats on the road and in real life you'd have a moan at them and go on, there's nothing you can do in this situation OP other than rebook, its like going up against the CCP you aren't gonna win.
Original post by PS1895
she said i caused him to brake which is a serious fault which is ********

Welp, can’t argue with that since I wasn’t there. You’ve got some useful advice in this thread already so all that’s left is to wish you luck next time 👍 You will meet plenty of such taxi drivers on the roads after you get your driving license.
Reply 12
Welp, can’t argue with that since I wasn’t there. You’ve got some useful advice in this thread already so all that’s left is to wish you luck next time 👍 You will meet plenty of such taxi drivers on the roads after you get your driving license.

cheers mate i’ll make sure to make taxi drivers life hell while i’m waiting
Reply 13
Original post by Little pecker
Yeh there are situations where you can do nothing and will basically get a fail in an exam due to pure chance.

I've had people literally wait till the last second to indicate and pull with about 5 feet distance in the past, people will just get an auto fail for that because it is the easy decision for the examiner. Some people are real ahats on the road and in real life you'd have a moan at them and go on, there's nothing you can do in this situation OP other than rebook, its like going up against the CCP you aren't gonna win.

yea it’s brutal, an easy 60 quid if you fail them as well so they may as well do it
Reply 14
Original post by PS1895
yea it’s brutal, an easy 60 quid if you fail them as well so they may as well do it

Your cynical view of the DVSA isn't going to help improve your inadequate driving ability.

You need to own up to the fact you failed due to your inadequacies rather than a rigged system out to get you. If you don't, you'll never improve.
Reply 15
Original post by IWMTom
Your cynical view of the DVSA isn't going to help improve your inadequate driving ability.

You need to own up to the fact you failed due to your inadequacies rather than a rigged system out to get you. If you don't, you'll never improve.

perfect drive the only thing that failed me was another driver
Reply 16
Original post by PS1895
perfect drive the only thing that failed me was another driver dim wit

Yes, which you didn't observe or respond to appropriately. It's quite simple; your skills were not of the standard required to be awarded a licence. Learn from the mistake and build on your skills.
Reply 17
Original post by IWMTom
Yes, which you didn't observe or respond to appropriately. It's quite simple; your skills were not of the standard required to be awarded a licence. Learn from the mistake and build on your skills.

Do it mate do it
(edited 2 years ago)
I wonder what the correct course of action would be. You fasten up so someone knows they can't go, you slow down to let someone go and in each situation the person still goes ahead (by mistake or being an a). How is this marked?

In neither situation is the other car needing to slow down / stop solely dependent on your driving.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by PS1895
How would you have approached it then numb nuts

You know you're just going to get banned again, don't you?

Quick Reply

Latest