The Student Room Group

Still haven't got accomodation due to universities incompetence

Hello all,

Currently I am going through an issue. I applied for the same room I am in within an intercollegiate hall (they do allow 20% 2nd and 3rd years) as I was not able to do the readmission application as the winter lockdown happened and was not sure what would happen. I emailed them and they understood and just said to apply like normal. I did and this was around the start of June I believe.

As it went on, I never heard from them and I emailed them on the 7th July about it and they said their system is under maintenance. A friend of mine also emailed them before in June and they said their system would be back up in the 28th June. I had to email them again to get an update and they said how there rooms are fully booked now and can go onto the waiting list in the 2nd September. SEPTEMBER! And isn't in the room I am guaranteed to be able to afford unlike the room I was in.

I am looking again now and there is one in Wembley, but as nice as it looks, LOADS of the reviews are warning people not to go and how awful the management is. I feel like I have no choice with my price range being around £205 maximum. This has really put me off the university experience for something that isn't my fault. I am also finding an apprenticeship to transfer to. But in relation to this, what do I do?
(edited 2 years ago)
Bumping this
Original post by Ratchet ***
Hello all,

Currently I am going through an issue. I applied for the same room I am in within an intercollegiate hall (they do allow 20% 1st and 2nd years) as I was not able to do the readmission application as the winter lockdown happened and was not sure what would happen. I emailed them and they understood and just said to apply like normal. I did and this was around the start of June I believe.

As it went on, I never heard from them and I emailed them on the 7th July about it and they said their system is under maintenance. A friend of mine also emailed them before in June and they said their system would be back up in the 28th June. I had to email them again to get an update and they said how there rooms are fully booked now and can go onto the waiting list in the 2nd September. SEPTEMBER! And isn't in the room I am guaranteed to be able to afford unlike the room I was in.

I am looking again now and there is one in Wembley, but as nice as it looks, LOADS of the reviews are warning people not to go and how awful the management is. I feel like I have no choice with my price range being around £205 maximum. This has really put me off the university experience for something that isn't my fault. I am also finding an apprenticeship to transfer to. But in relation to this, what do I do?

Did they guarantee you a room if you applied by a certain date?
Original post by Admit-One
Did they guarantee you a room if you applied by a certain date?

If you mean the first place no, they just said I can apply for the waiting list on the 2nd September (a 2nd year)
Original post by Ratchet ***
If you mean the first place no, they just said I can apply for the waiting list on the 2nd September (a 2nd year)

If you missed out on submitting an accommodation app because their system was down, then you could submit a formal complaint and see what happens. But if they are genuinely full to capacity then they cannot provide a room for you and the best you might get is an apology.
Original post by Admit-One
If you missed out on submitting an accommodation app because their system was down, then you could submit a formal complaint and see what happens. But if they are genuinely full to capacity then they cannot provide a room for you and the best you might get is an apology.

I do feel like if I sent a complaint that nothing would change. It is very stressful at the moment as I am now hunting for somewhere because of something out of my control. It is very hard finding somewhere I am comfortable with right now

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending