The Student Room Group

Electrical engineering

Hi,
I am a student aspiring to be an electrical engineer. I am mostly interested in things to do with circuits, such as designing and analyzing circuits. I already have a decent knowledge on circuit analysis and such calculations based on my own learning. I also have some interests in telecommunications as well. I want to ask uni students who are currently studying electrical engineering or even any other type of engineering, about what types of tasks will i be given at work if i choose to choose electrical engineering. Will it involve designing or is it linear and repetitive tasks.
Original post by nsadra
Hi,
I am a student aspiring to be an electrical engineer. I am mostly interested in things to do with circuits, such as designing and analyzing circuits. I already have a decent knowledge on circuit analysis and such calculations based on my own learning. I also have some interests in telecommunications as well. I want to ask uni students who are currently studying electrical engineering or even any other type of engineering, about what types of tasks will i be given at work if i choose to choose electrical engineering. Will it involve designing or is it linear and repetitive tasks.

It really depends on what company you work at. From a company I worked at previously, the electrical engineers had great jobs, they would design new circuits, design/make specific components that are necessary and find faults on boards that the manufacturing guys couldn't find.
Reply 2
Original post by Hoc est Bellum
It really depends on what company you work at. From a company I worked at previously, the electrical engineers had great jobs, they would design new circuits, design/make specific components that are necessary and find faults on boards that the manufacturing guys couldn't find.

Thanks for your reply. Would you think that jobs like these are abundant. Lets say that you graduated your bachelor in EE, would you be able to find jobs like these. I heard that job opportunities are not great for people with bachelor or even masters degree.
Original post by nsadra
Thanks for your reply. Would you think that jobs like these are abundant. Lets say that you graduated your bachelor in EE, would you be able to find jobs like these. I heard that job opportunities are not great for people with bachelor or even masters degree.

You should look for an apprenticeship if you aren't already at uni because EE is competitive. The only way to find what you will be doing at the company is by asking and research.

Quick Reply

Latest