The Student Room Group

Financing 2nd qualification

Many years ago I did an HND in Business studies and am now interested in doing a Theology degree. I had finance for the HND which was a 3 year sandwich course (2 x 6 months on work placement). Would I be eligible for 2 more years of payments for fees? Also is a maintenance loan available? I am married but will have no income and my husband will only have his pension payout coming in.
Original post by Mim77
Many years ago I did an HND in Business studies and am now interested in doing a Theology degree. I had finance for the HND which was a 3 year sandwich course (2 x 6 months on work placement). Would I be eligible for 2 more years of payments for fees? Also is a maintenance loan available? I am married but will have no income and my husband will only have his pension payout coming in.

Hi there,

Full time undergraduate applicants can receive funding for the length of the course + 1 additional year - any previous study.

Please confirm

- How many years of previous study you have and if full or part time.
- If you gained a qualification at all.
- How many years is your new course, what qualification do you expect to receive and what is the full course name.

Thanks, Isaac
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi there,

Full time undergraduate applicants can receive funding for the length of the course + 1 additional year - any previous study.

Please confirm

- How many years of previous study you have and if full or part time.
- If you gained a qualification at all.
- How many years is your new course, what qualification do you expect to receive and what is the full course name.

Thanks, Isaac

Hi Isaac,

I did a full time HND which was 3 years, but one year was in industry as it was a Business Studies sandwich course.

I want to study for a 3 year full time degree in Theology. The course is BA (Hons) in theology, ministry and mission.
Original post by Mim77
Hi Isaac,

I did a full time HND which was 3 years, but one year was in industry as it was a Business Studies sandwich course.

I want to study for a 3 year full time degree in Theology. The course is BA (Hons) in theology, ministry and mission.

Your calculation will be 3+1-3 = 1 year of funding, you will need to self fund the tuition fee in the first 2 years but you can apply for a Maintenance Loan.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 4
Your calculation will be 3+1-3 = 1 year of funding, you will need to self fund the tuition fee in the first 2 years but you can apply for a Maintenance Loan.
Thanks, Isaac

Thanks.
So the sandwich part of the degree, even though it was a paid placement, is still counted as a year of tuition fee finance?
Original post by Mim77
Thanks.
So the sandwich part of the degree, even though it was a paid placement, is still counted as a year of tuition fee finance?

We look at previous study, not previous funding.

Thanks, Isaac
Reply 6
We look at previous study, not previous funding.

Thanks, Isaac

I’m still not clear.
I thought an HND was counted as 2 years study?
The sandwich bit wasn’t study.
Original post by Mim77
I’m still not clear.
I thought an HND was counted as 2 years study?
The sandwich bit wasn’t study.

It's not normal for a HND course to be 3 years but I am only providing information from what you are providing to me.

If you would like us to review your account to check how many years of previous study you do have then you can call us or message us on Facebook/Twitter.

Thanks, Isaac
Reply 8
It's not normal for a HND course to be 3 years but I am only providing information from what you are providing to me.

If you would like us to review your account to check how many years of previous study you do have then you can call us or message us on Facebook/Twitter.

Thanks, Isaac

Ok, will do. Thank you.
Original post by Mim77
Ok, will do. Thank you.

You're welcome, I hope everything gets cleared up :smile:

Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending