The Student Room Group

Motivation to do sports

How I can find the motivation to do some sports? I am not fat I am just need to be more fit with some muscles. How could I start? Any recommendation?
Reply 1
Find one you like.

If you don't enjoy it, you won't keep doing it.
Reply 2
I enjoy it but the problem that I get bored easily any advice?
Try some team sports/sports with other people, like tennis or football (something you are interested in), and decide on specific days you can all do, or join a club. As it will be more varied and you see people it will stay interesting and fun.

Or plan a route outside, and walk/run/cycle it, and plan to do a variety of routes each week. Start off with some fairly short routes, and when you are used to it and it is part of your routine maybe build up with some slightly longer ones. Don't go over the top though as you might bet injured or get some other health problems. If you are walking or running maybe find some podcasts that you enjoy to listen to (but remember to listen out for other people/ traffic)
Or get a dog so you have to take it out for walks aha

Or try a bit of swimming and decide on a realistic number of lengths to do, or treadmill/gym stuff etc and decide a distance/time/number of reps (e.g. see how fast you can run 3km, or exercise bike for 10 mins) and then just go and do it

It might be hard for a few weeks but soon you will feel yourself getting fitter and that itself will be quite motivating.

And once you've done it, do something as a "well done" that you look forward to, I like a good vending machine snack. Or plan to do something fun later on in the day

also remember that with exercise you will need more food, make sure you get enough protein and carbohydrates and fats as your body needs them to build muscle and to recover and to have enough energy for the next exercise you do :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Firstly find one that you like and enjoy, and practice when you have spare time. Maybe even get some friends/family to play with you if it’s a team sport, or even look for a local club to join.

You could even find a bunch of sports that you like and practice whichever one whenever you feel like it, just so you don’t get bored :smile:

Hope this helps!!
Reply 5
Original post by bl0bf1sh
try some team sports/sports with other people, like tennis or football (something you are interested in), and decide on specific days you can all do, or join a club. As it will be more varied and you see people it will stay interesting and fun.

Or plan a route outside, and walk/run/cycle it, and plan to do a variety of routes each week. Start off with some fairly short routes, and when you are used to it and it is part of your routine maybe build up with some slightly longer ones. Don't go over the top though as you might bet injured or get some other health problems. If you are walking or running maybe find some podcasts that you enjoy to listen to (but remember to listen out for other people/ traffic)
or get a dog so you have to take it out for walks aha

or try a bit of swimming and decide on a realistic number of lengths to do, or treadmill/gym stuff etc and decide a distance/time/number of reps (e.g. See how fast you can run 3km, or exercise bike for 10 mins) and then just go and do it

it might be hard for a few weeks but soon you will feel yourself getting fitter and that itself will be quite motivating.

And once you've done it, do something as a "well done" that you look forward to, i like a good vending machine snack. Or plan to do something fun later on in the day

also remember that with exercise you will need more food, make sure you get enough protein and carbohydrates and fats as your body needs them to build muscle and to recover and to have enough energy for the next exercise you do :smile:

thank you so much for your answer i will follow your tips
Reply 6
Original post by buttercupdogs
Firstly find one that you like and enjoy, and practice when you have spare time. Maybe even get some friends/family to play with you if it’s a team sport, or even look for a local club to join.

You could even find a bunch of sports that you like and practice whichever one whenever you feel like it, just so you don’t get bored :smile:

Hope this helps!!

Thank you! I will try and will let you know :smile:
Go walking
Reply 8
Original post by tinygirl96
Go walking

I love walking but its better with some friends and my friends are busy with their studies
Reply 9
Original post by oliviaolivv0101
Find one you like!!!

I tried most of the sports but I do not like any ...
what do you not like about them? what would you want to get out of your ideal sport?
Reply 11
what do you not like about them? what would you want to get out of your ideal sport?

To be more fit and healthier for the future
Keeping good/consistent habits when doing any form of physical activity (such as walking, cycling, tennis, pilates, gardening, the list goes on) will help maintain/improve your overall fitness. When you first start a sport, it will most likely be difficult as your body is not used to it, but keep at it and it will become easier. I remember, when I first started running, having to stop and walk for a bit, but with keeping at it for some weeks (years now lol) I was eventually able to do the run without stopping at all. I'm now a pretty decent runner and it's my favourite thing to do :smile:. With injuries etc. I started cycling a bit to keep fit/stay sane, I hated it at first, but now I really love it. And being reasonably fit overall helps if I'm doing a different sport
Are there any sports in particular that you would like to do, get good at, or just do to have some time for yourself?
Reply 13
Keeping good/consistent habits when doing any form of physical activity (such as walking, cycling, tennis, pilates, gardening, the list goes on) will help maintain/improve your overall fitness. When you first start a sport, it will most likely be difficult as your body is not used to it, but keep at it and it will become easier. I remember, when I first started running, having to stop and walk for a bit, but with keeping at it for some weeks (years now lol) I was eventually able to do the run without stopping at all. I'm now a pretty decent runner and it's my favourite thing to do :smile:. With injuries etc. I started cycling a bit to keep fit/stay sane, I hated it at first, but now I really love it. And being reasonably fit overall helps if I'm doing a different sport
Are there any sports in particular that you would like to do, get good at, or just do to have some time for yourself?

Thank you for your answer. I am starting to think about sports just to have some time for myself
Original post by Yochahine
I enjoy it but the problem that I get bored easily any advice?

Do you know why you get bored? Finding that out would make it easier to figure out how to fix it.

I used to love lifting and hitting the gym and all that good stuff, slowly realised I had fallen out of love with it and that I just got bored of the same exercises/variation of exercises, just slowly grew bored of lifting totally. Lost motivation etc.

Always loved watching boxing and decided recently to give that a try. Started just working the gym at the bag and doing jump rope and no lifting but more sport specific workouts for boxing and now joined a boxing club and it’s helped massively. Motivation is back through the roof, meeting new people and having someone push you in a class like boxing is great.

you just need to find something that your excited to go and do, rather than forcing yourself to go cos you “should” and then enjoying it while your there
Find a sport that is complicated

Martial Arts for instance are good for people like me and you as you learn something new every lesson, therefore no lesson is ever the same..

Finding a nice community / bringing a friend is also really helpful aswell
Original post by Yochahine
How I can find the motivation to do some sports? I am not fat I am just need to be more fit with some muscles. How could I start? Any recommendation?

Try Pilates and gym classes!! I started going on Pilates holidays about 2 years ago and love it. It really eased me in and my motivation followed. I recommend starting with sports you are most likely to enjoy. I have also been attending a few gym classes at my local gym like yoga and HIT.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest