The Student Room Group

GCSE Books

I am in going in to year 10 in september and i decided to buy my revision books for gcses. I am doing higher papers for all my gcses, these are the gcses im gonna be doing: maths, chemsitry, biology, english language/literature, german, geography, computer science and design technology. The problem i am having is that i do not know if i am buying the right gcses books for the right up to date specification. For example, i am gonna buy the aqa gcse biology 9-1 revision guide ,but how do i make sure that i buy the book matching the current ongoing 8461 aqa specification because i dont want to buy the book for the old specification and fail gcses. The same goes for revsion books for all the other subjects, is there a way to make sure of this?
Reply 1
Yes, buy the one that says 9-1. Your GCSE examboard and spec should not change.

If you are entering year 10, then your exam spec will definitely stay the same (and if not, then you should definitely complain to the school!)

Also, there is no way that the grade system is going to suddenly change into A-D or something else since the 9-1 system is still fairly new! Don't worry and buy the books that fit your examboard but always make sure it says grades 9-1 because they are for the current exams! Anything that says anything else is the old one!

Furthermore, do double check the examboards and if you are doing double or triple science as it is quite different!
Original post by agent37
Yes, buy the one that says 9-1. Your GCSE examboard and spec should not change.

If you are entering year 10, then your exam spec will definitely stay the same (and if not, then you should definitely complain to the school!)

Also, there is no way that the grade system is going to suddenly change into A-D or something else since the 9-1 system is still fairly new! Don't worry and buy the books that fit your examboard but always make sure it says grades 9-1 because they are for the current exams! Anything that says anything else is the old one!

Furthermore, do double check the examboards and if you are doing double or triple science as it is quite different!

Thank you soo much that helps alot!! But just to double check i should buy the revision books that say 9-1 as they are for the current specifications?
Reply 3
Original post by unknown86686567
Thank you soo much that helps alot!! But just to double check i should buy the revision books that say 9-1 as they are for the current specifications?

Yes, but do be aware that CGP often update their books quite often with new information!

Remember to check your exam boards and what themes/sections/books you're studying before you buy! Eg. if you're buying stuff for English, check which books you're studying first, same with sciences, check if you're doing double or triple!
Original post by agent37
yes, but do be aware that cgp often update their books quite often with new information!

Remember to check your exam boards and what themes/sections/books you're studying before you buy! Eg. If you're buying stuff for english, check which books you're studying first, same with sciences, check if you're doing double or triple!

thankss soo much
Reply 5
thankss soo much

You're welcome! :smile:

Best of luck to your studying, personally I think Year 9-10 summer, which I'm assuming you're in, is the best time to study! Try to get ahead while you can but remember to have a good time and relax!

This summer is fantastic time wise for studying though as studying in year 9 summer can make GCSEs feel wayyy easier as you already have an idea to what's going on!
thankss soo much

Original post by agent37
You're welcome! :smile:

Best of luck to your studying, personally I think Year 9-10 summer, which I'm assuming you're in, is the best time to study! Try to get ahead while you can but remember to have a good time and relax!

This summer is fantastic time wise for studying though as studying in year 9 summer can make GCSEs feel wayyy easier as you already have an idea to what's going on!

One more thing, im really sorry for bothering you and overthinking but what is the difference between these books:
Reply 7
One more thing, im really sorry for bothering you and overthinking but what is the difference between these books:

Sorry for the delay in response! I took a look at the images you sent and I'd actually recommend the purple/black revision guides for sciences offered by CGP! They're the complete revision and practice ones and in my opinion, are far superior as you can actually practice and check yourself off as you go!
Original post by agent37
Sorry for the delay in response! I took a look at the images you sent and I'd actually recommend the purple/black revision guides for sciences offered by CGP! They're the complete revision and practice ones and in my opinion, are far superior as you can actually practice and check yourself off as you go!

Thank you so much for all your help, its much appreciated
Reply 9
Thank you so much for all your help, its much appreciated

Of course! It's no problem! If you ever have any questions or worries, don't hesitate to send me a message! :biggrin:
Reply 10
sorry to interrupt im also going into year 10 but i dont know which gsce book brand is the best, im also doing aqa but i dont know if i should buy collins etc.
Reply 11
I have a number of revision books for sale if anyone is interested. Let me know.
Original post by ayosb
sorry to interrupt im also going into year 10 but i dont know which gsce book brand is the best, im also doing aqa but i dont know if i should buy collins etc.

I recommend CGP revision books! Don't bother with the collin, pearson or cgp learning books! Get the ones which are purple black are include "revision and practice!"

That's my personal advice - it's also what my teachers told us to do :biggrin:

Hope this is good enough!

Quick Reply

Latest