The Student Room Group

GCSE spanish/french

Hey guys! So I have just finished year 10 and we had our mocks in April. I have done a writing assessment for both french and spanish and was able to obtain a grade 8 for both of them. However, I am unsure about how I can get a grade 9. I want to get straight 9s in my gcses. How can I improve my writing to bring it to a grade 9?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by zaza66yosup
Hey guys! So I have just finished year 10 and we had our mocks in April. I had done a writing assessment for both french and spanish and was able to obtain a grade 8 for both of them. However, I am unsure how I can get a grade 9. I want to get straight 9s in my gcses. How can I improve my writing to bring it to grade 9?

Hiya, I got a 9 in GCSE French. I was expecting an 8 because my listening was never quite up to standard but I can share some tips for writing as this was probably my strongest area. Memorise a few stock phrases with more complex grammar that you can use in every essay. My favourite was 'Bien qu'il soit' (while it is). The same goes for tenses if you can't remember the full verb conjugations. The other piece of advise I'd give is to write carefully which was something I suddenly realised in one of my lessons and it was so obvious I felt dumb. I'd always push myself to use words/ grammar which I wasn't 100% certain on, thinking the more difficult it was for me to write, the higher the marks. What I came to realise was that the examiner doesn't know which words you do and don't know so it's better to play it safe and pick the pronoun you are certain on how to conjugate than to risk losing accuracy marks. The advantage of the writing proportion of the exam is you largely have control over the phrases used so you can talk about what you like so long as you answer the question fully.

Hope this helps :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by turkeydinosaur16
Hiya, I got a 9 in GCSE French. I was expecting an 8 because my listening was never quite up to standard but I can share some tips for writing as this was probably my strongest area. Memorise a few stock phrases with more complex grammar that you can use in every essay. My favourite was Bien 'qu'il soit' (while it is). The same goes for tenses if you can't remember the full verb conjugations. The other piece of advise I'd give is to write carefully which was something I suddenly realised in one of my lessons and it was so obvious I felt dumb. I'd always push myself to use words/ grammar which I wasn't 100% certain on, thinking the more difficult it was for me to write, the higher the marks. What I came to realise was that the examiner doesn't know which words you do and don't know so it's better to play it safe and pick the pronoun you are certain on how to conjugate than to risk losing accuracy marks. The advantage of the writing proportion of the exam is you largely have control over the phrases used so you can talk about what you like so long as you answer the question fully.

Hope this helps :smile:

Thank you so much!
Like u I've been predicted grade 8 in both spanish and french for my GCSEs but since the mocks went rlly well i think it could go up.

In addition to the advice above I'd say that a big part of writing is knowing the vocabulary. Personally my school used Memrise for this, if u get very good at the vocabulary and know how to construct the sentences (with correct agreements and conjugations) the most important things is knowing the words to say.

Like said above u got to know a few high level phrases. Also be confident with time phrases to make flowing into the different tenses easier (also my top recommendation is to learn some phrases in the subjunctive that your likely to use, cause in my exam board they asked for 5/6 tenses in the 32 marker)

Some examples for subjunctive that r good (Cuando sea mayor - when I'm older) (Quel dommage qu'on ne puisse pas + inf - what a shame that we can't) (Si pudiera, me gustaría - If I could I would like to) (Bien que je dise cela - even though I say that) (Si fuera posible, me encantaría - If it were possible, I would love to) (Il me semble que ce soit - It seems to me that it is)

Original post by turkeydinosaur16
The other piece of advise I'd give is to write carefully which was something I suddenly realised in one of my lessons and it was so obvious I felt dumb.

This is too true so many ppl think they need to write as quickly as possible, just take a moment to make sure the sentence actually makes sense and that u know how to write it in the target language.
Reply 4
Hey guys! So I have just finished year 10 and we had our mocks in April. I have done a writing assessment for both french and spanish and was able to obtain a grade 8 for both of them. However, I am unsure about how I can get a grade 9. I want to get straight 9s in my gcses. How can I improve my writing to bring it to a grade 9?

Hey - great question, and I was in the same position when I was taking my languages at GCSE. It can be somewhat challenging to know what is required for a Grade 9. I would recommend getting some suggestions and tips from an online course. For as little as 10 pounds, you can get ideas of what Grade 9 answers look like - of course you shouldn't copy them at all. But I found that they give you confidence to create your own sentences by the time you sit your GCSE French paper next year.

A course I recommend is:

>>> go to the website: bytesofintelligence dot co dot uk
>>> go to the All Courses page at the top
>>> Click on the French course and buy the 10 pound course (trust me, it is worth it!!)

Hopefully that helps and let me know how it goe. The advice you have got from the others in this forum is also brilliant!
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by King.YRS
Hey - great question, and I was in the same position when I was taking my languages at GCSE. It can be somewhat challenging to know what is required for a Grade 9. I would recommend getting some suggestions and tips from an online course. For as little as 10 pounds, you can get ideas of what Grade 9 answers look like - of course you shouldn't copy them at all. But I found that they give you confidence to create your own sentences by the time you sit your GCSE French paper next year.

A course I recommend is:

>>> go to the website: bytesofintelligence dot co dot uk
>>> go to the All Courses page at the top
>>> Click on the French course and buy the 10 pound course (trust me, it is worth it!!)

Hopefully that helps and let me know how it goe. The advice you have got from the others in this forum is also brilliant!

Thank you so much! I will check it out!
Reply 6
No worries. I am sure it will help you out!!

Reply 7

Hey @zaza66yosup,
Let us know what you think about the course
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest