The Student Room Group

guy who still lives with parents

Would you judge a guy who is in his late 20s and lives with his parents?
I know there are many reasons for it. i have not let it bother me much and dated at least 3 men who have been in that situation. One turned out to be in many drug and debt problems and was a liar, another was fundamentally immature, and another was lacking ambition and overly conservative, all reasons which made me walk away. so from experience i see it as a red flag.

However i am also with my parents altho i'm a bit younger due to pandemic financial reasons but will be leaving asap. So i met someone else who lives with parents and not sure whether to ignore it for now or think seriously about that fact
Original post by Anonymous
Would you judge a guy who is in his late 20s and lives with his parents?
I know there are many reasons for it. i have not let it bother me much and dated at least 3 men who have been in that situation. One turned out to be in many drug and debt problems and was a liar, another was fundamentally immature, and another was lacking ambition and overly conservative, all reasons which made me walk away. so from experience i see it as a red flag.

However i am also with my parents altho i'm a bit younger due to pandemic financial reasons but will be leaving asap. So i met someone else who lives with parents and not sure whether to ignore it for now or think seriously about that fact

If a guy was still living with his parents by 26 I would be seriously put off
Reply 2
If a guy was still living with his parents by 26 I would be seriously put off

i don't think it's still, they left for uni and work but came back during lockdown too
i think many young people were in this position
however they don't seem to be in a rush to leave now
i don't think it's still, they left for uni and work but came back during lockdown too
i think many young people were in this position
however they don't seem to be in a rush to leave now

I'm 17 and I'm hoping to move out asap
Reply 4
If it's a temporary thing, or if they are living at home because they are a carer for their parent, I would have no problem. If they are nearly 30 and still not independent and mum is still cooking for them and doing their washing etc., I'd run a mile.
I think it all depends on the situation and personally I wouldn’t automatically cancel a guy out just because he was living with his parents. My partner lived with his family till he was just in his late 20’s (albeit we started dating in his early 20’s) but for him he was keen to buy a property rather than get caught in the renting cycle and it also helped his mum out who is a singe mum. He was largely self sufficient within the home though and did his own washing/ dinners, etc. London is so expensive so ultimately I’m glad he didn’t end move out earlier and rented.

But yeah I think it is a case of finding out why they are still live at home and working out if that’s a deal breaker for you.
it depends on the reason. if they were living with their parents but still independent it wouldnt bother me. i also plan on living with my parents until i find someone i wanna settle down with, simply because i wanna spend as much time with them as possible before i lose them.

if they were planning on staying with their parents even after getting married or whatever, then its a dealbreaker. im not a fan of the idea of living with in-laws.
Reply 7
Original post by bethwantsdeath
it depends on the reason. if they were living with their parents but still independent it wouldnt bother me. i also plan on living with my parents until i find someone i wanna settle down with, simply because i wanna spend as much time with them as possible before i lose them.

if they were planning on staying with their parents even after getting married or whatever, then its a dealbreaker. im not a fan of the idea of living with in-laws.

Thanks for the reply, i also feel that way about parents won't be around forever. When you can see their health deteriorating it makes you rethink things too.
Reply 8
Original post by volka
If it's a temporary thing, or if they are living at home because they are a carer for their parent, I would have no problem. If they are nearly 30 and still not independent and mum is still cooking for them and doing their washing etc., I'd run a mile.

I think it all depends on the situation and personally I wouldn’t automatically cancel a guy out just because he was living with his parents. My partner lived with his family till he was just in his late 20’s (albeit we started dating in his early 20’s) but for him he was keen to buy a property rather than get caught in the renting cycle and it also helped his mum out who is a singe mum. He was largely self sufficient within the home though and did his own washing/ dinners, etc. London is so expensive so ultimately I’m glad he didn’t end move out earlier and rented.

But yeah I think it is a case of finding out why they are still live at home and working out if that’s a deal breaker for you.

Do you think it's appropriate if i ask them on a first date if they do their own washing and laundry etc?
Not compatible with my dating dealbreakers.
Then again I only date guys older than me by a minimum of 15 years.
I wouldn't consider dating any guy who wants close family ties or has regular contact with his ancestors/siblings/extended family members, let alone lives with them.
Reply 10
Do you think it's appropriate if i ask them on a first date if they do their own washing and laundry etc?

No

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending