The Student Room Group
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

need your advice

I will study for an MSc.Nutrition. I am confusing for choose the right university also the city for living with family between Sheffield Hallam University and Chester University. Does anyone have experience between the 2 places?
Reply 1
I'm just leaving Chester to attend a different uni after a bad year and I know other unhappy students so I'd strongly recommend against them. I was doing a Biology subject and there were nutrition students in my lectures, some of which were a poor standard.
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Manicat
I'm just leaving Chester to attend a different uni after a bad year and I know other unhappy students so I'd strongly recommend against them. I was doing a Biology subject and there were nutrition students in my lectures, some of which were a poor standard.

Thank you for the advice. Would you tell me your experience of the city? like how is expensive and was is easy to find a job...
Reply 3
Hi, not sure about jobs but the city is nice, quite small, pretty, and touristy.
Hi,

@hallamstudents should be able to give you a good overview of life at Hallam and in Sheffield.

There's 60,000 students in Sheffield, so it's a really friendly, student city. There's a lot of green spaces and everyone is really friendly. It's also about 20 minutes bus ride from the Peak District. If you're looking for music, you'll find a lot of music venues here and a calendar of festivals. There's plenty of museums and art galleries too. The cost of living is low compared to other cities and having two universities in the city means that you'll make good use of your student discount.

Depending on your family, you'll find plenty of things for kids to get involved in and there are lots of volunteering opportunities both at Hallam and elsewhere in the city.

Stacey
Official Sheffield Hallam Rep
Original post by Sheffield Hallam University
@hallamstudents should be able to give you a good overview of life at Hallam and in Sheffield.

Hi @Ramin.Sh,

Sheffield is a really nice city to live in, I imagine it would be great for a family too as there are lots of things to do and good transport links to places like Meadowhall, Peak District and other cities too. Some of my favourite places there include Holly Hagg Alpaca Farm and Tabby Teas Cat Cafe, which would be great fun for families (or just grown ups!) to visit.

In terms of the university itself, it's spread across two campuses, one in the city centre (City Campus) and one not far outside the city centre (Collegiate Campus). Pre-covid obviously things were in person, but teaching moved online during the pandemic (as it did with most places). As far as I'm aware things have moved to a blended approach, where lectures are online and seminars are in person, though this may have changed as nationwide restrictions change.

I really enjoyed my time at Hallam. I found the tutors and lecturers kind and supportive and that there are lots of extra resources to enrich the experience. There are many societies to get involved with and most have a mix of online and in person events (and access to discounted classes/activities too) :biggrin: In terms of finding a job in Sheffield, the Hallam Careers service are really helpful and helped me find this job as a Student Ambassador and supported me in my applications for placement years. I'm sure they'd be able to help you too if you choose to come to Sheffield.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions :smile:

Lucy
Reply 6
Original post by hallamstudents
Hi @Ramin.Sh,

Sheffield is a really nice city to live in, I imagine it would be great for a family too as there are lots of things to do and good transport links to places like Meadowhall, Peak District and other cities too. Some of my favourite places there include Holly Hagg Alpaca Farm and Tabby Teas Cat Cafe, which would be great fun for families (or just grown ups!) to visit.

In terms of the university itself, it's spread across two campuses, one in the city centre (City Campus) and one not far outside the city centre (Collegiate Campus). Pre-covid obviously things were in person, but teaching moved online during the pandemic (as it did with most places). As far as I'm aware things have moved to a blended approach, where lectures are online and seminars are in person, though this may have changed as nationwide restrictions change.

I really enjoyed my time at Hallam. I found the tutors and lecturers kind and supportive and that there are lots of extra resources to enrich the experience. There are many societies to get involved with and most have a mix of online and in person events (and access to discounted classes/activities too) :biggrin: In terms of finding a job in Sheffield, the Hallam Careers service are really helpful and helped me find this job as a Student Ambassador and supported me in my applications for placement years. I'm sure they'd be able to help you too if you choose to come to Sheffield.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions :smile:

Lucy

Hi Lucy!
Thank you for the nice and completed information.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending