The Student Room Group

i can't help but feel like my doctor is experimenting on me

yesterday he prescribed me the same antidepressant that gave me some really messed up side effects a couple weeks ago. not only that, it's a higher dose this time (double). he thinks the antidepressant wasn't the cause of my issue at all (i disagree but he won't listen). my boyfriend agrees with him instead of being supportive because he feels that this particular a/d is the most helpful of all the ones i've tried in terms of improving my mood. idk, maybe. not sure.

i'm worried that the same thing will happen again. i need a second opinion on this. am i being paranoid? is my shrink's behaviour unusual, like does it sound like he's just playing with me health? or do doctors sometimes prescribe the same stuff, despite side effects? i don't really want to see a different doctor because he prescribes me benzos/hypnotics whenever i need them, and not all doctors like to prescribe them long term

Scroll to see replies

I would trust the prescribing expert, they understand pharmacology far better than you or I.
When I moved from a GP to a psychiatrist, she tripled my dose of antidepressants.

Take your drugs and keep a note of any side effects as and when they occur.
Reply 2
Original post by DiddyDec
I would trust the prescribing expert, they understand pharmacology far better than you or I.
When I moved from a GP to a psychiatrist, she tripled my dose of antidepressants.

Take your drugs and keep a note of any side effects as and when they occur.

maybe you're right. maybe i'm just being too paranoid
Original post by Ciel.

It is normal to have apprehension when taking anything that you think is giving you side effects.
Reply 4
A lot of prescriptions are 'experimenting' like that in the sense of finding what medication and dose is right for you. Hes not playing with your health just for the sake of it.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Ciel.

Drugs are experimental anyway, no one can tell of the effects before an individual actually takes them. And nobody in here is trained (including you I'd assume) in pharmacology to know what symptoms are due to the medication itself or due to other factors.

Keep in touch with your psych and if you're not happy, see someone else. But don't make changes or experiments yourself without anyone to hold accountable for their effects.
Reply 6
Original post by DiddyDec
It is normal to have apprehension when taking anything that you think is giving you side effects.

yeah : <
Original post by Foxehh
A lot of prescriptions are 'experimenting' like that in the sense of finding what medication and dose is right for you. Hes not playing with your health just for the sake of it.

well, i'm sure that are a lot of psychos in that profession so you never really know? but i know what you mean, i guess it's not a likely scenario
Original post by GyrosUberAlles
Drugs are experimental anyway, no one can tell of the effects before an individual actually takes them. And nobody in here is trained (including you I'd assume) in pharmacology to know what symptoms are due to the medication itself or due to other factors.

Keep in touch with your psych and if you're not happy, see someone else. But don't make changes or experiments yourself without anyone to hold accountable for their effects.

yeah i guess i'll stick with his advice for now and see what happens
Reply 7
i just tell him about my anxiety issues, and sleep issues? tbh it's also prob because he charges a lot (he's a private doctor). and yeah, i'm in the uk
Reply 8
nah. he knows i need them. i haven't had any issues with him and i've been his patient for a couple years now. of course, officially he just wants me to take them 'as needed' so not every day but i usually have to take them several times a week tbh.
and yeah i guess. that's my experience anyway. gp doctors never prescribe **** tbh. also i find that young doctors are usually more willing to prescribe benzos, not sure why
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 9
yeah but i don't want to share it, sorry (for privacy reasons). maybe look at google reviews, before deciding to book any appts, sometimes they can be helpful
r u trying to score benzos...?
Reply 11
no offence but i don't want to share it, considering it obviously has the clinic's address and everything. good luck with your search tho

if you can afford it then definitely go for it. they actually act like they care, unlike many nhs doctors
Reply 12
be careful with clinics that offer only video meetings. some of them aren't even allowed to prescribe benzos or strong painkillers online
Psychiatry involves a lot of "experimentation". I took 9 antidepressants before finding one that worked for me. Similarly there was a lot of antipsychotic experimentation. I would give it a try and see what happens, it might help, it might not but at least you'll know if you try.
Reply 14
Original post by Sabertooth
Psychiatry involves a lot of "experimentation". I took 9 antidepressants before finding one that worked for me. Similarly there was a lot of antipsychotic experimentation. I would give it a try and see what happens, it might help, it might not but at least you'll know if you try.

wow. 9? all ssris?
and yeah, i guess i will give it a try again, thanks
Original post by Ciel.
wow. 9? all ssris?
and yeah, i guess i will give it a try again, thanks

Nah, all the different classes except MAOI. Trintellix worked best for me, so well that I didn't relapse when I came off of it - so I don't take any antidepressant now and my mood is generally great. But yeah, it took a number of years to get things right.

I got prescribed xanax the other day and I'm a little worried about taking it. :colondollar: How much more noticeable is the effect over klonopin? (sorry, just looking for reassurance, hope you don't mind!)
Reply 16
Original post by Sabertooth
Nah, all the different classes except MAOI. Trintellix worked best for me, so well that I didn't relapse when I came off of it - so I don't take any antidepressant now and my mood is generally great. But yeah, it took a number of years to get things right.

I got prescribed xanax the other day and I'm a little worried about taking it. :colondollar: How much more noticeable is the effect over klonopin? (sorry, just looking for reassurance, hope you don't mind!)

i see. mine is called fluoxetine (prozac) so just another ssri i guess.
oh, xanax is pretty nice. imo it works faster, and it sorta hits differently i guess. it just feels nicer. clonazepam kinda makes me feel like a zombie. xanax makes me more sleepy, tho. the effects wear off much faster with xanax too
Original post by Ciel.
i see. mine is called fluoxetine (prozac) so just another ssri i guess.
oh, xanax is pretty nice. imo it works faster, and it sorta hits differently i guess. it just feels nicer. clonazepam kinda makes me feel like a zombie. xanax makes me more sleepy, tho. the effects wear off much faster with xanax too

Man, prozac was awful for me. I had a really really bad reaction and only took it for 4 days. But everyone is different and it might work better for you than it did for me. Give it a shot. :smile: Also, maybe record the side effects so you don't leave any out when you report back to your doc.

I like how klonopin makes me feel, it's chill but does take a while to kick in. I'm glad to hear the xanax kicks in quicker. I'm a little worried about getting addicted. Any tips for avoiding that?
What's a xanax bar?
Oh. Nah, I just got the generic.

Quick Reply

Latest