The Student Room Group

schemas - psychology

Imagine it’s your first day at college. What kind of information did you refer to in your “school schema” and how did this information help you to know how to behave?

Were there any situations where you used your “school schema” and behaved in the “wrong” way for college?

What’s happened to your “school schema” as a result of these mistakes?
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zuzannasendor18
Imagine it’s your first day at college. What kind of information did you refer to in your “school schema” and how did this information help you to know how to behave?

Were there any situations where you used your “school schema” and behaved in the “wrong” way for college?

What have you thought of so far?
Original post by 5hyl33n

I feel like if I have an example I can adapt it to how I was like on my first day

The questions are bit confusing
I feel like if I have an example I can adapt it to how I was like on my first day

The questions are bit confusing

Do you know what a schema is?
Original post by 5hyl33n
Do you know what a schema is?

yes
it is like our mental representation that is derived from our knowledge and experience
it can help us recall info
visual illlusion
yes
it is like our mental representation that is derived from our knowledge and experience
it can help us recall info
visual illlusion

Yes, a schema is a cognitive framework or concept that helps organise and interpret information. Our schema helps us form expectations of how to behave in a scenario. We have a schema for everything, e.g. going to school, going to the shops, going to a restaurant etc.

For the first question:

This question is asking you to think about how you usually behave in school and what you are expected to do. The ideas you think of form your 'schema of school'. You must use this knowledge to assume what college life will be like. Does that help? Once, you have done this part, I will help you with the next question. :smile:
Original post by 5hyl33n
Yes, a schema is a cognitive framework or concept that helps organise and interpret information. Our schema helps us form expectations of how to behave in a scenario. We have a schema for everything, e.g. going to school, going to the shops, going to a restaurant etc.

For the first question:

This question is asking you to think about how you usually behave in school and what you are expected to do. The ideas you think of form your 'schema of school'. You must use this knowledge to assume what college life will be like. Does that help? Once, you have done this part, I will help you with the next question. :smile:

since its first day, you would expect to be on time and present yourself nice, be prepared to answer questions. behave politely
since its first day, you would expect to be on time and present yourself nice, be prepared to answer questions. behave politely

Yes. So this is how you would behave in college as well.

For the second question:

Here, you could talk about more independence in college than school?

For the third question:

I think this question is pretty straightforward. Will your schema stay the same or will it change?
Original post by 5hyl33n
Yes. So this is how you would behave in college as well.

For the second question:

Here, you could talk about more independence in college than school?

For the third question:

I think this question is pretty straightforward. Will your schema stay the same or will it change?

tysm
Original post by 5hyl33n

Can you give me an example please
Can you give me an example please

Original post by 5hyl33n

For the first question:

We went over schema’s here.
Original post by 5hyl33n
We went over schema’s here.

Can you give me an example using one of these pleaseee: calling teacher miss or mr, tables and chairs, obeying teacher
Can you give me an example using one of these pleaseee: calling teacher miss or mr, tables and chairs, obeying teacher

I can help you with one of them. When a teacher asks us to do something, we have a schema for our response to the teacher. The schema is obeying the teacher.
Original post by 5hyl33n
I can help you with one of them. When a teacher asks us to do something, we have a schema for our response to the teacher. The schema is obeying the teacher.

thankyouuu

For this one: Were there any situations where you used your “school schema” and behaved in the “wrong” way for college?

What sort of things could I say
thankyouuu

For this one: Were there any situations where you used your “school schema” and behaved in the “wrong” way for college?

What sort of things could I say

What is different between school and college?
Original post by 5hyl33n
What is different between school and college?

uniform at schools + your choice of clothes at college
you get to choose your lessons at college
lesson durations are different/long
uniform at schools + your choice of clothes at college
you get to choose your lessons at college
lesson durations are different/long

Yes, therefore, your schema of clothing and lessons will change.
Original post by 5hyl33n
Yes, therefore, your schema of clothing and lessons will change.

what does it mean by 'behaved in the “wrong” way for college?'
what does it mean by 'behaved in the “wrong” way for college?'

Your schema for school is to wear a uniform. You might use this pre-existing schema and you need to wear a uniform to college. In this case, your schema would be wrong because there is no uniform for college. You, therefore, have behaved in the wrong way.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by 5hyl33n
Your schema for school is to wear a uniform. You might use this pre-existing schema and you need to wear a uniform to college. In this case, your schema would be wrong because there is no uniform for college. You, therefore, have behaved in the wrong way.

As a result of this mistake I was wrong. (but in reality I didnt go into college wearing a uniform, so how would that be a mistake)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending