The Student Room Group

Should I fail my dissertation?

So today the exams office uploaded my exam resukt of 1 module for my taught masters and to my shock, I got a 57 in the exam. It's atrocious as I don't believe my answers were so bad that they deserved a 57.

They also uploaded a module which I had already changed in January and write fail next to it. When I was not even studying that module.

This has brought my entire classification down from merit to a pass master degree. I also need to solve the fail issue otherwise registry will claim I didn't pass my degree.

Is there any point in working hard for my dissertation.? I already missed merit when i had hoped I will get it due to exams being my strength.the University doesn't take total percentage but takes individual modules into consideration. So like 60% 60 credit modules and 60 in dissertation to achieve a merit.

I dont know what to do.

Scroll to see replies

You may as well do the dissertation to complete the course. If you just give up when you get a low mark, it kind of makes what you've done in the course a waste of time and money.
Reply 2
Bump
So you’re choosing between not completing your masters at all or completing it with a pass?

All depends on what you want to go on to do. If you do your dissertation properly then that will show on your transcript when you go on to further study or employment. If you don’t try then your transcript will reflect this.
And if you don’t do it at all you won’t have completed a masters…
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by GabiAbi84
So you’re choosing between not completing your masters at all or completing it with a pass?

All depends on what you want to go on to do. If you do your dissertation properly then that will show on your transcript when you go on to further study or employment. If you don’t try then your transcript will reflect this.
And if you don’t do it at all you won’t have completed a masters…

But what's the point? I already have a 2.2 in BA and I was inches away from a merit but that too was gone. Now what's the point of a dissertation? I can't get a merit therfore i can't get research roles anyway. As they will look at my degree grades and be like I'm not a bright student.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by ElleMai11
But what's the point? I already have a 2.2 in BA and I was inches away from a merit but that too was gone. Now what's the point of a dissertation? I can't get a merit therfore i can't get research roles anyway. As they will look at my degree grades and be like I'm not a bright student.

To complete your masters…
Otherwise you won’t have a masters.
Reply 6
To complete your masters…
Otherwise you won’t have a masters.

How will that help? I won't get jobs
How will that help? I won't get jobs

Then what will you do instead?
Reply 8
Then what will you do instead?

I dont now. But you think completing masters with only a pass will help? Of course not
I dont now. But you think completing masters with only a pass will help? Of course not

Ok.
I think having a masters is better than having no masters but 🤷🏼*♀️
Reply 10
Ok.
I think having a masters is better than having no masters but 🤷🏼*♀️

Will I get a job? Tell me
What subject is your Masters in?
Reply 12
Original post by NovaeSci
What subject is your Masters in?

Environment and Development
Will I get a job? Tell me

What kind of job/area are you looking at?
Environment and Development

You could always save and retake it in the near future?
Reply 15
Original post by NovaeSci
You could always save and retake it in the near future?

No can't do it. I'm overseas student
Reply 16
Original post by PhoenixFortune
What kind of job/area are you looking at?

Academic/University admin/information/progrssional services
Environmental NGOS
Journalism
So today the exams office uploaded my exam resukt of 1 module for my taught masters and to my shock, I got a 57 in the exam. It's atrocious as I don't believe my answers were so bad that they deserved a 57.

They also uploaded a module which I had already changed in January and write fail next to it. When I was not even studying that module.

This has brought my entire classification down from merit to a pass master degree. I also need to solve the fail issue otherwise registry will claim I didn't pass my degree.

Is there any point in working hard for my dissertation.? I already missed merit when i had hoped I will get it due to exams being my strength.the University doesn't take total percentage but takes individual modules into consideration. So like 60% 60 credit modules and 60 in dissertation to achieve a merit.

I dont know what to do.

The 57 is what it is - you clearly didn't do as well as you thought.

I can't understand what you're saying about the other module - what do you mean by 'they also uploaded a module which I had already changed in January? Have you spoken to anyone about this module?
Academic/University admin/information/progrssional services
Environmental NGOS
Journalism

Apart from being an academic, I don't see why you couldn't do the other jobs. You may have to rely more on experience than qualifications, but they are possible.
Reply 19
Original post by Reality Check
The 57 is what it is - you clearly didn't do as well as you thought.

I can't understand what you're saying about the other module - what do you mean by 'they also uploaded a module which I had already changed in January? Have you spoken to anyone about this module?

I asked the department to change it. They did. Yet they uploaded it as failed module. And no my exam was not worth 57.

Quick Reply