The Student Room Group

Is it fair that grades could be lowered if you appeal 2021

I think its pathetic that grades can be lowered because at the end of the day if youre appealing its likely that youre unhappy with your current grade so you want to see if by any change it could go up.. not down! I just dont see why theyre making it so hard for us this year. What do you think?
This isn’t special to 2021, appeals can result in increased or lowered grades (or they may stay the same) in any year.
Original post by Unknown1232003
I think its pathetic that grades can be lowered because at the end of the day if youre appealing its likely that youre unhappy with your current grade so you want to see if by any change it could go up.. not down! I just dont see why theyre making it so hard for us this year. What do you think?

What sort of an argument is this. :laugh: The only acceptable appeals process is one where you can only win??

Do you essentially just want to pick your own grade and have done with it? Let's say an A. A's for eveyone!!!
Original post by Mesopotamian.
This isn’t special to 2021, appeals can result in increased or lowered grades (or they may stay the same) in any year.

Last year they could either stay the same or go up but not down

I have no idea if this is true, but if it is, then it’s the 2020 cohort that received special treatment. The 2021 cohort is being treated the same as any other year; it’s nothing to cry about.
Reply 5

In a normal year, if you go for a review of marking then the grade may go up or down - 2020 was the only exception to this in over 30 years. It's a risk you take and will discourage a few of the people who think they might as well chance it.
Reply 6

Probably because in recent past lots of people appealed but now they want to discourage appeals.
Reply 7
Original post by 161BMW
Probably because in recent past lots of people appealed but now they want to discourage appeals.

In a 'normal' year you have to pay to get a review (and are refunded if the grade changes) but this year they have decided that appeals are free. If there was no downside to appealing then there was nothing to stop every single person who did not get an A* or 9 appealing on the off chance their grade went up - that would be millions of appeals - far more than 10x the normal number - and there is no way the system could cope.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending