The Student Room Group

is this plagiarism?

I wrote about the problems the nhs is facing that i learnt about, from my online work experience, in my personal statement. The problem is there is no way to rephrase it for example staffing shortage and growing elderly population. Is that plagiarism because it is worded really similar?
Reply 1
It shouldn't be, I put some statements in mine that were kinda like urs (as in it might have been counted as plagiarism), but my ps came up as 100% not plagiarized.
Reply 2
Original post by Kdog21
I wrote about the problems the nhs is facing that i learnt about, from my online work experience, in my personal statement. The problem is there is no way to rephrase it for example staffing shortage and growing elderly population. Is that plagiarism because it is worded really similar?

How did you learn about these problems? was it in the course of carrying out your duties or was it from a specific source?

For a personal statement, those phrases sound quite basic on their own. I don't see how that would be plagiarism. In more specific cases, for instance if you said one in four of the UK population is expected to live to the age of 100, it would be helpful for you to cite your sources and therefore give them appropriate credit.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Elle.J
It shouldn't be, I put some statements in mine that were kinda like urs (as in it might have been counted as plagiarism), but my ps came up as 100% not plagiarized.

Thank you so much
Reply 4
Original post by BigEazy
How did you learn about these problems? was it in the course of carrying out your duties or was it from a specific source?

For a personal statement, those phrases sound quite basic on their own. I don't see how that would be plagiarism. In more specific cases, for instance if you said one in four of the UK population is expected to live to the age of 100, it would be helpful for you to cite your sources and therefore give them appropriate credit.

Thank you so much
Original post by Kdog21

That's not really plagiarism it's like copying a equation on stating Ohm's law it's just something you've used I think you'll be fine.
Original post by Kdog21

These are such bland, generic phrases that they're everyday and commonplace, not plagiarism as you're not, essentially, taking the thoughts/work of other people and presenting it as your own without acknowledging the source.

The worry for me would not be the plagiarism, but that the PS is going to be a bit shíte if it's stuffed full of those sorts of inane clichés.
Reply 7
Original post by jonathanemptage
That's not really plagiarism it's like copying a equation on stating Ohm's law it's just something you've used I think you'll be fine.

Thanks for replying
Reply 8
Original post by Reality Check
These are such bland, generic phrases that they're everyday and commonplace, not plagiarism as you're not, essentially, taking the thoughts/work of other people and presenting it as your own without acknowledging the source.

The worry for me would not be the plagiarism, but that the PS is going to be a bit shíte if it's stuffed full of those sorts of inane clichés.

Thanks for replying but for the statement you have have to answer how the profession fits into the health care system, so you need to write about the problems facing the system and how introducing this profession has helped. Maybe next time just answer the question, yeah mate.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Kdog21
Thanks for replying but for the statement you have have to answer how the profession fits into the health care system, so you need to write about the problems facing the system and how introducing this profession has helped. Maybe next time just answer the question, yeah mate.

I'm not your mate.

I did answer your question - just not in the way you wanted me to. That's your problem, not mine :smile:

I'm going to guess that it's an application for Physician Assistant. Am I right?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Reality Check
I'm not your mate.

I did answer your question - just not in the way you wanted me to. That's your problem, not mine :smile:

I'm going to guess that it's an application for Physician Assistant. Am I right?

I know you answered my question that's why i thanked you and said next time JUST answer the question and don't waste your time trying to make smart arse comments.

Obviously your not my mate but never heard of sarcasm?

and yeah it is for PA
Original post by Kdog21
I know you answered my question that's why i thanked you and said next time JUST answer the question and don't waste your time trying to make smart arse comments.

Obviously your not my mate but never heard of sarcasm?

and yeah it is for PA

:laugh:

You need to ask yourself how I knew you were applying for a Physician's Assistant course when you made literally zero mention of it in your OP or subsequent posts, and it's in a forum called 'Personal Statement Advice'...

What could it have been from your subsequent posting that led me so definitively to that (correct) assumption?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending