The Student Room Group
Which others do
Please don't make multiple threads on the same topic - you can bump your thread after 24hrs if you have no replies :smile:

I think there are a few other schools like Plymouth and theoretically Oxford plus some Foundation courses - this seems like a pretty good list https://medicmentor.co.uk/access-to-medicine-for-btec-students/

Fundamentally though taking a BTEC will seriously restrict your medicine options and it will be better to take A levels or equivalent if you can.
Original post by becausethenight
Please don't make multiple threads on the same topic - you can bump your thread after 24hrs if you have no replies :smile:

I think there are a few other schools like Plymouth and theoretically Oxford plus some Foundation courses - this seems like a pretty good list https://medicmentor.co.uk/access-to-medicine-for-btec-students/

Fundamentally though taking a BTEC will seriously restrict your medicine options and it will be better to take A levels or equivalent if you can.

Sorry about that and how do I bump my thread?
Also, thank you for that however let’s say there’s 5 med schools that accepts btec isn’t that ok because you can only apply to 5?
Also I have the grades to do alevels but I’ve just heard many ppl say alevels are too hard and low-key scared ngl
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by becausethenight

The link u sent shows many unis accepting btecs? So how’s that restricting (not trying to be rude anything)
Original post by Ghostface6001
Also, thank you for that however let’s say there’s 5 med schools that accepts btec isn’t that ok because you can only apply to 5?
Also I have the grades to do alevels but I’ve just heard many ppl say alevels are too hard and low-key scared ngl

Please, if you have the grades to do A-Level don’t even think about choosing BTEC Applied Science. A-Levels really aren’t as bad as people say, and honestly your best chance of getting into medicine will be with chemistry and biology A-Levels.
Reply 6
The link u sent shows many unis accepting btecs? So how’s that restricting (not trying to be rude anything)

Most require WP flags - do you have these?
That is extremely limiting in itself, for most applicants, and these courses are often more competitive than standard entry. And bear in mind that if you are applying for these courses with A levels, they generally need around BBB - BBC at A level, so considerably lower requirements than A100 courses, even with WP flags for these
They list
Leicester A199 - gives preference to local students
Buckingham - private, costs £39K fees a year
Edge Hill A110 - need to be resident in the North West
UEA A104
Manchester A104 - needs A level at an A with it
Plymouth A102 (who also accept it for A100, but need you to sit the GAMSAT, which is undergrad level science)
Bristol A108 (who as you point out, also accept it on their A100)
Keele A104 - requires an A level as well
Lancaster A104

So if you have WP flags that meet the criteria, their are enough options, even if you rule out Buckingham and Edge Hill. But if you do not do an Extended Diploma AND an A level, you are down to the 4 choices you are allowed to make. I would call that quite limiting, given there are 37 med schools for A level applicants with the right subjects to choose from?

That link does not comment on A100s, where a few med schools will accept a BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma but many need it in addition to 1 or 2 A levels. Those who openly state it is acceptable are
Aston
BSMS (plus chem and bio A levels)
Bristol (want Distinctions in specific chemistry modules)
Exeter (plus chem and bio A levels)
Possibly Lancaster, but not accepted on its own
Leicester (plus chem and bio/science A levels)
Oxford (with caveats)
Plymouth (but applicants required to sit the GAMSAT)
Southampton (plus chem and bio A levels)

And if you can manage that on top of chem and bio A levels, why not just do a 3rd subject and have all of the med schools to choose from?

Plus those med schools shortlist in many different ways, so to put 4 together, you could need a UCAT of around 2800+, +/- excellent GCSEs, +/- A* A levels, +/- a high BMAT.
Again, if you can do all that, just sit 3 A levels adn make life easier.

Hence doing BTEC is restricting, as it significantly cuts down the options and means you may well have to have better stats overall than someone with A levels
Reply 7

You can only apply to 4 med schools via UCAS
Original post by GANFYD
Most require WP flags - do you have these?
That is extremely limiting in itself, for most applicants, and these courses are often more competitive than standard entry. And bear in mind that if you are applying for these courses with A levels, they generally need around BBB - BBC at A level, so considerably lower requirements than A100 courses, even with WP flags for these
They list
Leicester A199 - gives preference to local students
Buckingham - private, costs £39K fees a year
Edge Hill A110 - need to be resident in the North West
UEA A104
Manchester A104 - needs A level at an A with it
Plymouth A102 (who also accept it for A100, but need you to sit the GAMSAT, which is undergrad level science)
Bristol A108 (who as you point out, also accept it on their A100)
Keele A104 - requires an A level as well
Lancaster A104

So if you have WP flags that meet the criteria, their are enough options, even if you rule out Buckingham and Edge Hill. But if you do not do an Extended Diploma AND an A level, you are down to the 4 choices you are allowed to make. I would call that quite limiting, given there are 37 med schools for A level applicants with the right subjects to choose from?

That link does not comment on A100s, where a few med schools will accept a BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma but many need it in addition to 1 or 2 A levels. Those who openly state it is acceptable are
Aston
BSMS (plus chem and bio A levels)
Bristol (want Distinctions in specific chemistry modules)
Exeter (plus chem and bio A levels)
Possibly Lancaster, but not accepted on its own
Leicester (plus chem and bio/science A levels)
Oxford (with caveats)
Plymouth (but applicants required to sit the GAMSAT)
Southampton (plus chem and bio A levels)

And if you can manage that on top of chem and bio A levels, why not just do a 3rd subject and have all of the med schools to choose from?

Plus those med schools shortlist in many different ways, so to put 4 together, you could need a UCAT of around 2800+, +/- excellent GCSEs, +/- A* A levels, +/- a high BMAT.
Again, if you can do all that, just sit 3 A levels adn make life easier.

Hence doing BTEC is restricting, as it significantly cuts down the options and means you may well have to have better stats overall than someone with A levels

Ahh do they take GCSEs and rank them?
Reply 9
Ahh do they take GCSEs and rank them?

This document contains links to the websites for all medicine courses, so have a read
https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2877/entry-requirements-document-2022-digital.pdf

Different med schools and courses shortlist in different ways, so use GCSEs, some don't

Latest

Trending

Trending