The Student Room Group

GCSE

Hello

I am wondering how do teachers chose whether you do higher level or foundation. Is it based on your sets or on your ability ?
Because you can find a set 3 student who has an ability of a set 1 but teachers ignore it .
Original post by Rosyrose123
Hello

I am wondering how do teachers chose whether you do higher level or foundation. Is it based on your sets or on your ability ?
Because you can find a set 3 student who has an ability of a set 1 but teachers ignore it .

It depends from school to school.
In my school, if you were in set 1 or 2 and you failed your science mocks then you'd be put on foundation. Otherwise, you'd be put on higher, unless you retake your mocks and show that you can pass your science mock.
If you were set 1 or 2 for maths then you'd be put on higher, no exceptions.
If you were set 3 or 4 for both maths and science then you'd be put on foundation unless you asked to be moved up to set 2 or 1, and demonstrated your ability to do higher.
Hello

I was in the same position as u last year, all u have to do is win ur teachers hearts- show them your motivated, you care and want to do higher, tell them you need it for alevels to, this is what I did and it massively helped, my school were strict to, do amazing in class answer all the questions finish the work first etc, them revise like hell during mocks and have a word with all your science teachers and possibly headteacher, this is what I did and I got moved up last min after trying only for online learning and a bit in December, good luck and trust me do this and u will likely move up
Original post by drs.vud.192
It depends from school to school.
In my school, if you were in set 1 or 2 and you failed your science mocks then you'd be put on foundation. Otherwise, you'd be put on higher, unless you retake your mocks and show that you can pass your science mock.
If you were set 1 or 2 for maths then you'd be put on higher, no exceptions.
If you were set 3 or 4 for both maths and science then you'd be put on foundation unless you asked to be moved up to set 2 or 1, and demonstrated your ability to do higher.

Thank you for the explanation :smile:
In what year group are mocks done ? Year 9 ?
As far as I know mocks in year 9 are cancelled .
Original post by Ghostface6001
I was in the same position as u last year, all u have to do is win ur teachers hearts- show them your motivated, you care and want to do higher, tell them you need it for alevels to, this is what I did and it massively helped, my school were strict to, do amazing in class answer all the questions finish the work first etc, them revise like hell during mocks and have a word with all your science teachers and possibly headteacher, this is what I did and I got moved up last min after trying only for online learning and a bit in December, good luck and trust me do this and u will likely move up

Hello, Thank you so much for the advice! I really appreciate it :smile:

I am currently in my summer holiday and after the summer holiday I will be starting Year 9.
In What year group are the mocks done?
Also by a head teacher do you mean the head of learning? or head of the science department?
Congratulation on moving up sets! Keep it up !
Hello, Thank you so much for the advice! I really appreciate it :smile:

I am currently in my summer holiday and after the summer holiday I will be starting Year 9.
In What year group are the mocks done?
Also by a head teacher do you mean the head of learning? or head of the science department?
Congratulation on moving up sets! Keep it up !

I’m in yr12 in September, so in yr10 half my year was lockdown, so I did no mocks, but typically you have your main mocks in year 11 November time where they use your grades to sort out your predicted grades for college, so if u want to go to a good sixth form do well in those mocks, ask or email your school about your mocks in year 9/10 as each school is different and ask your headteacher (I did that as I felt my teachers weren’t taking me serious and she was a chem teacher) so only resort to ur headteacher if your not getting enough feedback from your science teachers, I’d advise you speak to your head of science first though, your only in year 9 so you have plenty of time so make sure you move up now so you miss less higher tier content, I had so much catching up to as I was in foundation up until feb year 11. Do as I said previously when you join and you’ll move up soon.
Also email your science teachers now and ask for extra work or how u can improve so they understand your motivated, etc, hope this helps and good luck moving up
Reply 6
What’s different between higher and foundation levels??
I’m taking a english GCSEs and my first language is not English i only came to the UK two years ago and I’m probably gonna fail my GCSE English because it’s soo hard and the school says If i fail I’m gonna retake it but I don’t want to because I’m 100% sure I’m gonna fail even if i try 1 thousand times and my English is not even bad but idk I’m just failing it what should i do😩
Original post by Fay713
What’s different between higher and foundation levels??
I’m taking a english GCSEs and my first language is not English i only came to the UK two years ago and I’m probably gonna fail my GCSE English because it’s soo hard and the school says If i fail I’m gonna retake it but I don’t want to because I’m 100% sure I’m gonna fail even if i try 1 thousand times and my English is not even bad but idk I’m just failing it what should i do😩

Ur English seems great, what year are you in?
And with higher levels you can do that subject at A level
With foundation levels you can’t do it at a level or uni
basically when you have done your tests before gcses the teachers see which sets the students need to be in because when i was in school in year 9 i did some tests for english and maths and they put me in the average slcasses . So it depends on how well you academic sidde is of th education and tests and how much you do well really
Reply 9
Original post by Ghostface6001
Ur English seems great, what year are you in?
And with higher levels you can do that subject at A level
With foundation levels you can’t do it at a level or uni

I’m in year 12 just finished my firstborn year of BTEC extended diploma
And how do i know if I’m at foundation of higher?? Bc nobody told me anything i don’t even know how am i gonna get the grades like do I receive an email about it??? My college is absolute sh!t they literally don’t care and my teachers just ignore messages ( btw this is my first year studying in the UK )
Original post by Fay713
I’m in year 12 just finished my firstborn year of BTEC extended diploma
And how do i know if I’m at foundation of higher?? Bc nobody told me anything i don’t even know how am i gonna get the grades like do I receive an email about it??? My college is absolute sh!t they literally don’t care and my teachers just ignore messages ( btw this is my first year studying in the UK )

There’s no higher or foundation for btec only GCSEs. And you receive your btec results at the end of year 13, I think I’m not to sure I don’t btec best to make a thread and ask other btec students
Reply 11
Hello

Well, it's based on both sets and ability.
Everyone in set one and two in my school are prepared and expected to do higher.

However, in one of my science classes, there was one person who wasn't ready for it and was entered for foundation.
There was also a situation of one guy who was in set 4 maths and set 1 for everything else and had the ability of set 1 maths too. He tried to move sets but there wasn't space. He was entered for higher though.
If you're in a similar position I recommend you try and persuade your teachers to do higher by showing them you can do grade 7, 8 and 9 questions in that subject and therefore proving that you would do well in higher.
Original post by pxrx_dx
Well, it's based on both sets and ability.
Everyone in set one and two in my school are prepared and expected to do higher.

However, in one of my science classes, there was one person who wasn't ready for it and was entered for foundation.
There was also a situation of one guy who was in set 4 maths and set 1 for everything else and had the ability of set 1 maths too. He tried to move sets but there wasn't space. He was entered for higher though.
If you're in a similar position I recommend you try and persuade your teachers to do higher by showing them you can do grade 7, 8 and 9 questions in that subject and therefore proving that you would do well in higher.

Wow that's good news ! Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest