The Student Room Group

Scottish student doing Masters in England

I did an undergraduate degree in English literature at and English university and was given finance by SAAS. I graduated this summer. I have now been offered a Masters degree an English University. SAAS says they will not fund my Masters because I can do a similar course in Scotland.

I have been living in Manchester since I graduated this summer. Would I be able to apply to England for Masters funding? How long do I have to live in England after I graduate before I can apply for English Funding?
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

You just have to permanently reside there for reasons other than education. It's a tricky one. But you could try and apply to SFE if you are now living there permanently and you have a job proving that.
Original post by NovaeSci
You just have to permanently reside there for reasons other than education. It's a tricky one. But you could try and apply to SFE if you are now living there permanently and you have a job proving that.

Thanks for your reply.I have been working in a pub for about a month full time but it’s a zero hours contract. Is there a minimum amount of time I have to live in England before I can apply?
Original post by Timetogetagrip
Thanks for your reply.I have been working in a pub for about a month full time but it’s a zero hours contract. Is there a minimum amount of time I have to live in England before I can apply?

Not by the looks of it. Just that you have to have lived in the UK for 3 years prior. But if you have made that your permanent home, then I don't see why not. I actually moved from Manchester to Scotland and I'm doing the reverse as you, ha.
Not by the looks of it. Just that you have to have lived in the UK for 3 years prior. But if you have made that your permanent home, then I don't see why not. I actually moved from Manchester to Scotland and I'm doing the reverse as you, ha.

Maybe it’s worth a shot of applying then. I just wondered since I came to Manchester to study in the first place they wouldn’t think I was a permanent resident
Maybe it’s worth a shot of applying then. I just wondered since I came to Manchester to study in the first place they wouldn’t think I was a permanent resident

If you are a continuing student, then yes. You wouldn't be able to switch halfway through the degree. However, you have now achieved that degree and the funding has ceased. So with being a new application, it will be based on your situation as of now. It's just a case of proving you are now living there as a permanent resident, not for study. It's a grey area and a really fine line, but if you have permanent residence and not student accommodation, then all should be fine. But as I said, it's a grey area. All you can do is try.
(edited 2 years ago)
If you are a continuing student, then yes. You wouldn't be able to switch halfway through the degree. However, you have now achieved that degree and the funding has ceased. So with being a new application, it will be based on your situation as of now. It's just a case of proving you are now living there as a permanent resident, not for study. It's a grey area and a really fine line, but if you have permanent residence and not student accommodation, then all should be fine.

Thank you for that I’m going to give it a go I’m grateful for your replies
I did an undergraduate degree in English literature at and English university and was given finance by SAAS. I graduated this summer. I have now been offered a Masters degree an English University. SAAS says they will not fund my Masters because I can do a similar course in Scotland.

I have been living in Manchester since I graduated this summer. Would I be able to apply to England for Masters funding? How long do I have to live in England after I graduate before I can apply for English Funding?

Does SAAS cover Masters in England.....

We fund postgraduate courses at Postgraduate Diploma or Masters level. We do not offer postgraduate funding for Graduate Diplomas, Postgraduate Certificates or PhDs. If you are studying a full-time PGDE teaching course, you'll receive the same funding arrangements as a full-time undergraduate course.
Original post by Allyson2020
Does SAAS cover Masters in England.....

We fund postgraduate courses at Postgraduate Diploma or Masters level. We do not offer postgraduate funding for Graduate Diplomas, Postgraduate Certificates or PhDs. If you are studying a full-time PGDE teaching course, you'll receive the same funding arrangements as a full-time undergraduate course.

From what I'm aware, SAAS will only fund Masters in England if there isn't an equivalent course already in Scotland.
From what I'm aware, SAAS will only fund Masters in England if there isn't an equivalent course already in Scotland.

That’sCorrect they told me they won’t find my Masters because I could do an equivalent course in Scotland. It’s a Masters I’m doing so I know it qualifies for postgraduate loans I just don’t know if I would qualify for one

From SAAS website is this !!!!

Does SAAS cover Masters in England
https://www.saas.gov.uk files saa...
SAAS Funding Postgraduate Students
That’sCorrect they told me they won’t find my Masters because I could do an equivalent course in Scotland. It’s a Masters I’m doing so I know it qualifies for postgraduate loans I just don’t know if I would qualify for one

Only thing you can do is ask SFE if they can do this and see what they say.
I am scottish resident who went to a scottish university.
From SAAS website is this !!!!

Does SAAS cover Masters in England
https://www.saas.gov.uk files saa...
SAAS Funding Postgraduate Students

The problem is the bit
on the SAAS website

“We also fund students on eligible full-time courses in the rest of the United Kingdom, as long as the same course is not available in Scotland.”
I will call SFE on Monday and see what they say
(edited 2 years ago)
The problem is the bit
on the SAAS website

“We also fund students on eligible full-time courses in the rest of the United Kingdom, as long as the same course is not available in Scotland.”
I will call SFE on Monday and see what they say

True but you don't wish to relocate back to Scotland for to do it...!!
There's no harm asking SFE like as they'll know better then us on this.
True but you don't wish to relocate back to Scotland for to do it...!!
There's no harm asking SFE like as they'll know better then us on this.

I just thought I’d give us all an update in case anyone in the future is in the same dilemma. I called SFE today and they were very clear that they would not fund me. They were very nice but they said even though I’m living in Manchester it’s just the university holidays so I’m not considered ordinarily resident. The fact that I had funding from SAAS For for my undergraduate would immediately raise a red flag for them. I also posted in the student finance section of studentroom and got his reply this afternoon

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7063473&p=95584673#post95584673

So it’s pretty clear I won’t be doing a Masters in September. SAAS won’t give me the money because the courses in England and SFE won’t fund me because they consider me Scottish. I did ask if I could apply next year and they said possibly but it would be on me to prove that I haven’t just been hanging around in England to get funding next year.

There is a course in Scotland similar, which is why SAAS won’t give me the funding But it’s at a university that I don’t think I have a chance of getting into oh well that’s the way it goes I guess
I just thought I’d give us all an update in case anyone in the future is in the same dilemma. I called SFE today and they were very clear that they would not fund me. They were very nice but they said even though I’m living in Manchester it’s just the university holidays so I’m not considered ordinarily resident. The fact that I had funding from SAAS For for my undergraduate would immediately raise a red flag for them. I also posted in the student finance section of studentroom and got his reply this afternoon

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7063473&p=95584673#post95584673

So it’s pretty clear I won’t be doing a Masters in September. SAAS won’t give me the money because the courses in England and SFE won’t fund me because they consider me Scottish. I did ask if I could apply next year and they said possibly but it would be on me to prove that I haven’t just been hanging around in England to get funding next year.

There is a course in Scotland similar, which is why SAAS won’t give me the funding But it’s at a university that I don’t think I have a chance of getting into oh well that’s the way it goes I guess

That's really rubbish. Have you asked if you make England your home and apply next year instead? By then you could prove you live there and have started properly working. It may just be the proximity of study times. But if wanting this year then all you can do is try to the one up here.
Just noticed you've asked. Well, the answer is a good one, if you were willing to wait a year. May give you chance to save, too. :smile:
Just noticed you've asked. Well, the answer is a good one, if you were willing to wait a year. May give you chance to save, too. :smile:

Yes It looks like I’m going to have to wait a year but that’s not the end of the world. I can try and stave as much as I can and hopefully they will let me defer my course.
The English grant is actually more generous than the Scottish one so it might be worth waiting anyway. These things happen for a reason. At least I got an answer before I bothered filling in lots of films and then just got rejected anyway.
That's really rubbish. Have you asked if you make England your home and apply next year instead? By then you could prove you live there and have started properly working. It may just be the proximity of study times. But if wanting this year then all you can do is try to the one up here.

The Scottish degree is also much more expensive and the grant is only £5000 of fees so I don’t think I could afford even see me they would let me in.
Yes It looks like I’m going to have to wait a year but that’s not the end of the world. I can try and stave as much as I can and hopefully they will let me defer my course.
The English grant is actually more generous than the Scottish one so it might be worth waiting anyway. These things happen for a reason. At least I got an answer before I bothered filling in lots of films and then just got rejected anyway.

Yeah, I noticed that regarding the difference in loan amounts. Luckily, mine will be an integrated Masters.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending