The Student Room Group

Commuting to a far uni

Hi guys,
Soo my dilemma is this. I am truly considering the idea of commuting to uni during my first year, but just till the end of the year 2021 ( if it is possible). This is because of the living costs related to living in an accommodation which at the moment I can’t afford.
The distance between my current city and my pre-destined uni is of 2 hours and some minutes…
Question: is it possible that I commute till January and then search for properties or free rooms for students? Is there such thing?

Please I am aware of the long distance but I consider it better than struggling financially at uni for the rest of the years. I would appreciate honest thoughts thanks.
Can you take a year out to save up as much money as you can? Are you unable to take out a maintenance loan? Have you looked the possibility of things like a flat share?
I have had the experience of commuting 2 hours, door to door to a hospital placement 9-5 fulltime for a few months. I was fine with it because I knew for sure that it is short-term so it didn't affect my studying as much. I don't think I could've done it for a whole academic year let alone 3 or 4 o.O
I would prepare everything the night before, wake up at 5:30am and come back home at 19:00-19:30. But I understand uni isn't a fulltime job and you have half days, days off, study leave etc...so everyday might not be a a 14 hour day lol

What I recommend is trying the commute, I tried it for a few days and realised it was worth it for me over finding short-term accom which was expensive.

But honestly, it might be just as hard struggling with a time consuming commute vs a financially struggling student. Both are a struggle ygm
Reply 2
Original post by Gracekyei
Hi guys,
Soo my dilemma is this. I am truly considering the idea of commuting to uni during my first year, but just till the end of the year 2021 ( if it is possible). This is because of the living costs related to living in an accommodation which at the moment I can’t afford.
The distance between my current city and my pre-destined uni is of 2 hours and some minutes…
Question: is it possible that I commute till January and then search for properties or free rooms for students? Is there such thing?

Please I am aware of the long distance but I consider it better than struggling financially at uni for the rest of the years. I would appreciate honest thoughts thanks.

what do you mean by free rooms for students?
Reply 3
Original post by Satori Tendō
Can you take a year out to save up as much money as you can? Are you unable to take out a maintenance loan? Have you looked the possibility of things like a flat share?
I have had the experience of commuting 2 hours, door to door to a hospital placement 9-5 fulltime for a few months. I was fine with it because I knew for sure that it is short-term so it didn't affect my studying as much. I don't think I could've done it for a whole academic year let alone 3 or 4 o.O
I would prepare everything the night before, wake up at 5:30am and come back home at 19:00-19:30. But I understand uni isn't a fulltime job and you have half days, days off, study leave etc...so everyday might not be a a 14 hour day lol

What I recommend is trying the commute, I tried it for a few days and realised it was worth it for me over finding short-term accom which was expensive.

But honestly, it might be just as hard struggling with a time consuming commute vs a financially struggling student. Both are a struggle ygm

First of all thanks for the response. I really don’t want to take a gap year, knowing all the effort that I made this year I don’t want to.
At the moment I’m not covered for the maintenance loan, if I had a job within the summer I could had been considered as a migrant worker. It has been literally impossible for me to find a job. I could get it at uni but I’m considering the stress of the combination of work, work placements and school.
I haven’t considered the idea of a flat share I will do more research on that, thanks for the advice.
In terms of the possible commute it will be just for this year, so from September to December I was planning to commute and then check if an accommodation is still available or something like that.
Reply 4
Original post by Joleee
what do you mean by free rooms for students?

By freee room I meant the accommodation rooms. If any of those are available by the start of the new year.
Reply 5
Original post by Gracekyei
Hi guys,

You need to look at more than the travelling time between your "current city" and the university -- you need to consider the time taken for the complete end-to-end journey (i.e. from the time you leave your house to the time you sit down in a lecture theatre).

For example, I can commute to work by train. The train journey is about 20 minutes. But on top that I have to factor in the time taken to walk to the station (about 5 mins), buy a ticket (2-3 mins), 20 mins on the train, then the time to walk from the station to where I work (around 30 mins).

If you're driving, you need to factor in different levels of traffic at different times of day, how long to find somewhere to park, how long to get from where you've parked to where your lectures are. How much will parking cost? What's your alternative plan if the card park is full, etc.

You could do that. It's likely (but not guaranteed) that university accommodation will have available rooms by January, as some will have been freed up by students dropping out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending